Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Aftermarket chassis with misaligned holes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2017, 01:46 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Aftermarket chassis with misaligned holes

So i bought a set of chassis rails for my scx10 build from a vendor I found here on rc crawler. When I went to install my vanquish front bumper brace the first hole was off by about 1.5 cm. When I asked the vendor about the misalignment he said he had to purposefully do that so as to not get into legal trouble. I could either drill out the brace or send back for a refund. Is this just sloppy work with excuses or is there an actual legal reason here?

McJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Whatever you wanna do. It’s close but off. I can neither confirm nor deny his claims though, so I’m of no use. Are any of the other holes off?
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Aftermarket chassis with misaligned holes

The rear stock bumper doesn't line up either. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I can't and won't tap out the vanquish front brace cuz that would ruin the threads. I might adjust the hole on the rails. Just irritated right now and need to step away.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:30 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

So both front and rear bumper mounts are off? What about the skid or shock hoops?
Old 12-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
So both front and rear bumper mounts are off? What about the skid or shock hoops?

The skid plate is custom from the Same vendor. His skid plate lined up perfectly. It has built in shock towers and I've not tried any of the braces. The front bumper brace really the only thing that bugs me because it's all about the look of the front
Old 12-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

It's not uncommon in any way for upgrades from 2 different manufacturers to need a bit of fitting to work together. I don't know about that reason he listed or why it's slightly off, but a minute or two with a file on the front (and rear) of the chassis will solve the problem.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
It's not uncommon in any way for upgrades from 2 different manufacturers to need a bit of fitting to work together. I don't know about that reason he listed or why it's slightly off, but a minute or two with a file on the front (and rear) of the chassis will solve the problem.
That's what I've come to also. Just frustrating to spend the money, wait for it to show up, not have it fit and the vendor just shrug his shoulders and say send it back.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:20 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Motor mount holes in his skid plate are also off by little over a cm. Sigh
Old 12-13-2017, 11:38 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I really doubt bumper mount hole spacing is something that can't be duplicated for legal reasons. Many vendors make direct replacement Axial chassis that bolt up to all the stock parts. The Scale Shop and CBE are the 2 that I have used and can confirm they are direct fits.

Also, I did some research on which chassis this is (for my own curiosity) and I'm pretty sure I know. If I am right, this chassis has since disappeared from the vendor section.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:38 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I really doubt bumper mount hole spacing is something that can't be duplicated for legal reasons. Many vendors make direct replacement Axial chassis that bolt up to all the stock parts. The Scale Shop and CBE are the 2 that I have used and can confirm they are direct fits.

Also, I did some research on which chassis this is (for my own curiosity) and I'm pretty sure I know. If I am right, this chassis has since disappeared from the vendor section.
I think the original Vendor is transitioning out and moving all his products to another vendor on which he refered me to his facebook page. He was having a sale and I thought I was getting a good deal.

Talked to him about the skid plate holes being off a 1cm, he did offer to replace it but I would have to mail the original back and then wait 3 weeks. When I had already waited 6 weeks for the first because of production errors. eyeroll
Old 12-14-2017, 06:21 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Not slandering said vendor(s), but I personally would not release something that was not 100%. Something like frame rails should be made using a jig so that they all are the same. Seems to me that the jig was wrong and QC is lacking. The old analogy of having the ‘cart ahead of the horse’. Hurriedly made several sets of rails, then saw they were ‘misaligned’, and offered them at a discount.

If the only holes off were the two bumpers, I would just file them enough to mount the bumpers and call it good after a shot of fresh paint.

Edit for fooling spellcheck.

Last edited by Brake Weight; 12-14-2017 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:12 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Not slandering said vendor(s), but I personally would not release something that was not 100%. Something like frame rails should be made using a jig so that they all are the same. Seems to me that the jig was wrong and QC is lacking. The old analogy of having the ‘cart ahead of the horse’. Hurriedly made several sets of rails, then saw they were ‘misaligned’, and offered them at a discount.

If the only holes off were the two bumpers, I would just file them enough to mount the bumpers and call it good after a shot of fresh paint.

Edit for fooling spellcheck.

absolutely, I think I got the bad batch. But ill never find out if he fixed. ill just take my money some place else
Old 12-14-2017, 07:15 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

side question, what do people use now for photosharing since Photobucket has gone to crap
Old 12-14-2017, 07:18 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by McJeff View Post
side question, what do people use now for photosharing since Photobucket has gone to crap
Imgur
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:21 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by McJeff View Post

I pay the little yearly fee for Tapatalk for Apple. Android is free on my tablet but all my pics are on my phone anyway.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:07 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

imgur it is ty

Aftermarket chassis with misaligned holes - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
misaligned rear axle cydog510 Tamiya XC/CC01 4 11-25-2010 11:18 AM
aftermarket chassis seven_gun Redcat Crawlers 0 04-28-2010 12:02 AM
AX Stage 2 chassis holes phatchantz Newbie General 7 02-28-2008 10:57 AM
VM MG Aftermarket chassis ultralord Tamiya TLT Crawlers 4 05-20-2005 11:18 AM