Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: White JK Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default White JK Build

I just recently got into RC crawlers this past Fall where I picked up a used SCX10 C/R Edition. Over the months I’ve been wanting to create a replica of my 1:1 Jeep Wrangler and have started on the project last week.

Here’s the stock SCX10 with upgraded bumpers, links, driveshafts, and shocks.

Here’s the Proline Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon body ready for paint.

I wanted to keep the paint scheme simple to match my 1:1 Jeep. Started with 4 coats of Tamiya white with the windows masked. Added 3 coats of Tamiya silver to back the white. 3 coats of Tamiya Black to back the silver for a finished look and to tint the rear windows.

I wanted operational headlights, marker lights, and tail lights so used the light buckets from DinkyRC. I cut out the body around the front grill and glued in the front grill from DinkyRC for a 3D scale look.

I used the side view mirrors from my stock C/R edition Jeep and cut a piece of the front bumper to match my 1:1 scale Jeep.

I created a bunch of scale license plate decals for one of my Facebook Groups, Unorthodox Crawling. Here’s a photo of the plate mounted on a painted piece of lexan I glued to the rear bumper (stock C/R body shown).

Lights operational! I ordered the LED light kit from My Trick RC and set the taillights to brighten when reversing to simulate brake lights.

I drew out body lines on the exterior for a more scale look. Photos of my 1:1 Wrangler for inspiration.

I wanted to clean up the chassis of my SCX10 so relocated the battery to a front/side mount using the Samix Aluminum Mount, installed a side mount for the ESC, and relocated the radio box to the rear. I also added foam to the body post mounts. Before/after photos below:

Still waiting for the following parts to arrive to complete the build: 1.5” light bar, front fog lights, metal rock sliders, black Jeep emblem, black alloy Jeep wheels, and GoodYear Wrangler Duratrac 1.9” tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by DavinG; 02-21-2018 at 09:53 AM.
DavinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2018, 12:34 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: White JK Build

Looks great

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:29 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Nice work!!!
Loosenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:39 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

You did a nice job recreating your 1:1 ride.I wish we would get some more snow to play in.
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:19 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Default White JK Build

More parts arrived! Added 1.5” RC4WD light bar to front bumper (need to program the BEC to output higher voltage) and led fog lights and cleaned up the wiring. Here’s a comparison between the stock Axial wheels with Maxxis Trepador and Wrangler alloy wheels with Goodyear Duratracs. I ordered some new links to shorten the wheelbase a bit (current wheelbase is a bit longer that 12.3” and I want to bring it back to 12.3”). I had to notch out the front grille a bit to lower the body and trim down the front bumper mount. Also lowered the rear bumper to allow for the lower body. I would still like to get the body a bit lower on the chassis.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:52 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Makes it way more fun...I did the same thing, but still working on some more detailing. I get easily side tracked, so I've built another kit in the meantime.

Proline JK on Ascender chassis. Unfortunately there aren't any TJ bodies, so the JK had to do. I even used the factory-match paint.

TJ Wranlger 1:1. Unfortunately I sold this one a few years ago, was a very fun and capable jeep.

Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:38 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Makes it way more fun...I did the same thing, but still working on some more detailing. I get easily side tracked, so I've built another kit in the meantime.

Proline JK on Ascender chassis. Unfortunately there aren't any TJ bodies, so the JK had to do. I even used the factory-match paint.

TJ Wranlger 1:1. Unfortunately I sold this one a few years ago, was a very fun and capable jeep.

Awesome! I love seeing 1:10 scale rigs built after 1:1 rigs!
Old 02-15-2018, 11:47 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I’m really liking the wider stance of the Duratracs and they perform really well in the snow in comparison to the Maxxis Trepadors.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:25 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I increased the voltage on the BEC to 6V and now the RC4WD light bar is producing decent light connected direct to the RX.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Rock Krawler links, black Jeep grill emblem, front shock keys, and aluminum skid plate mounted.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:29 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Old 03-15-2018, 01:25 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

My spare wheel finally arrived so decided to snap some photos next to the big Jeep.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:28 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Default Full Size??

BTW, how do you like the JKU?
I keep thinking about trading my Colorado 4x4 for a JK softop, and build my own crawler with D44's, gears, lockers, and 35's.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:30 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Full Size??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
BTW, how do you like the JKU?
I keep thinking about trading my Colorado 4x4 for a JK softop, and build my own crawler with D44's, gears, lockers, and 35's.
I love my JKU! Owned it from new since 2012 and have never looked back! So much fun to drive, especially with the top off in summer. I will probably always drive a JKU now!
Old 04-03-2018, 03:43 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Old 04-12-2018, 11:22 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Headed out to the trails last weekend. I’m super impressed with how the Goodyear Duratrac tires grip but with only 3.8” diameter there is very little clearance with the differentials...especially in snow. I’ve ordered a set of Goodyear MT/R tires which I’m hoping will be a good compromise between scale and performance.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:41 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

So I burnt up my Axial AE5 ESC and Axial 27T motor last weekend while crawling. Luckily my rig didn’t catch fire and I was able to replace some parts in time for the weekend. I opted for the HobbyWing 1080 ESC which is quite amazing! I also installed another cheap Axial 35T motor.

My Goodyear MT/R tires and another set of wheels also arrived. I also installed the CMS from RC4WD which really cleaned up the front end and allowed for better performance. I also installed the RC4WD Superlift steering linkage for a more scaled look. The rig is super smooth now and feels like a brand new truck. Really liking how it’s turning out!

Here’s some photos from this weekend:

Old 04-23-2018, 12:31 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Nice shots

Old 06-26-2018, 04:18 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

I went camping with the family this past weekend to a spot I’ve been wanting to go to for some time. Amazing crawling terrain! The new Book Racing axles kept the weight down low and only one lost side view mirror the entire weekend was good news! Loving how this rig is turning out!

Old 06-27-2018, 12:08 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

What an awesome place
Nice pics, rig looks really good out there.

White JK Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
great white north build sillybear Tamiya CR-01 20 04-17-2015 02:18 PM
White Girl Build- Dripping Wet SCX10 captainp243 Axial SCX-10 23 09-15-2013 06:36 PM
White Lightning Southern Buggy Build TheManCave 2.2 Scale Rigs 25 09-08-2013 02:21 AM
White Mantis Build spunkysandoval Axial XR10 29 11-27-2011 09:15 PM
Beetlejuice V2 build..white chassis dyed YELLOW CRAWLER-DAD EnRoute Berg 39 03-08-2010 10:52 AM