Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 4-link conversion - options?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2019, 03:42 AM   #1

Default SCX10 4-link conversion - options?

Hi everybody, new member here, I've been into RC since I was a kid, and currently have a mix of 1/10 SCT & MT, and 1/8 buggy, all electric. I hope to pick up lots of useful info from you seasoned SCX10 guys, as I've just got a version 1? / 1.0 / V1 SCX10. I am planning a few changes & general maintenance before hitting the trail, as the previous owner hasn't used the truck much in recent years, so reckon bearings will need attention as a bare minimum.

I also have a lot of play where the current 3-link (on the front) mounts to the axle, so the axle now rotates forwards / backwards under power/brake.

So, guess its a good opportunity to do a 4-link up front. I would like some thoughts from you guys that have owned and/or still run the original version of the SCX10, and have knowledge / experience of doing this mod.

Many of the smaller brand 4-link options are no longer available (blue monkey, level3rc etc), so I've come up with three options, all of which allow me to keep the axle mounted servo - I would like to keep cost/time to a minimum and have no desire for scale points (at this stage...). All three options are a similar price, and can be done for less than 15 usd. I have spare TRX pivot balls, so will just change out the current plastic example for the time being, to get me out on the trail, but the 4-link is defo the way I want to go longer term. So...

1. Samix 4-link servo plate. https://www.rcsamix.com/index.php/fo...rvo-plate.html

Like the look of this quality wise, though does look a little on the large side in the pics. My main query on this one relates to the mounting points for the upper links. In the pic it shows what I thought were multiple mounting holes for the two upper links, but in another pic it shows the plate mounted above what looks like an axle truss, and the upper links are mounted to that, effectively making this simply a servo plate? So, can the links be mounted direct to this plate, or do you need the truss and the plate?

2. BP Custom SCX10 4 Link Servo Plate. https://www.amainhobbies.com/bp-cust...4lnkpl/p724768

Like the look of this as its quite small, can cater for different width servos and also has two further attachment points to the axle. Not too sure on the links mounting point, the links will be touching, so potential risk of fouling driveshafts vs a mount with wider / individual mounts?

3. Std Axial RTR 4-link truss. https://www.amainhobbies.com/axial-s...i80043/p151643

Simple, keeps the stock look, but as I don't have a spare with the kit parts, cost will be similar to other options, and it means your stock servo plate is now only secured by 2 screws rather than 3. Prob not an issue up to 20kg servos, but ideally I'd like to retain three mounting points to the axle.

So... thoughts? Best option from a functional POV? Not that bothered by looks TBH, just want something to work well, and not compromise other areas of the truck. Any other options I haven't listed above? Thanks 😀
rustymidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2019, 07:16 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SCX10 4-link conversion - options?

My preference on SCX10 4 upper link mounts is something that attaches to the screws that run through the center section of the housing for maximum security. Since the Samix servo plate only mounts to the servo posts, I would skip that one. Of the 2 remaining choices, I would pick the BPC mount mostly because it's cheaper and should be plenty durable with secure 4 point mounting. The Axial truss has never failed me but if you can't get one for <$5 then get something else. For something really cheap, these $4 china link mounts from ebay have been fine when I used them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Set-Alumin...bq3UyNDu05-c0A

As for the servo mounting points, I only ever use the 2 pointing points with no problems. All the SCX10 axles I still have probably have Wraith servo plates on them since the smaller shape gives a little more room for the upper links to move.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:48 AM   #3

Thanks for your thoughts. I looked at the ebay link, but couldn't figure if one of the three styles would work with the stock axle mounted servo plate? Thoughts? If you have to do a CMS & panhard mod, then I think I'll just go with the BPC one.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:56 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymidget View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. I looked at the ebay link, but couldn't figure if one of the three styles would work with the stock axle mounted servo plate? Thoughts? If you have to do a CMS & panhard mod, then I think I'll just go with the BPC one.
It's the B style one that is used for the front, fits with the servo on axle just fine.

svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:22 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymidget View Post

Many of the smaller brand 4-link options are no longer available (blue monkey, level3rc etc), so I've come up with three options, all of which allow me to keep the axle mounted servo - I would like to keep cost/time to a minimum and have no desire for scale points (at this stage...). All three options are a similar price, and can be done for less than 15 usd. I have spare TRX pivot balls, so will just change out the current plastic example for the time being, to get me out on the trail, but the 4-link is defo the way I want to go longer term. So...
One thing to be aware of is the difference in the width between the Axial and Traxxas pivot balls. The Axial are 0.295" wide and the Traxxas are 0.245" wide, at least on the Traxxas rod ends I have. Okay if your mount is single shear (one "plate" only) but for double shear mounting (like the axle mount where the rod end is captured between 2 "plates") the Traxxas balls will slide side to side unless you use spacers. There are Axial metal pivot balls available just can't recall from where at the moment. Maybe someone can help an old guy out with this one.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler48 View Post
One thing to be aware of is the difference in the width between the Axial and Traxxas pivot balls. The Axial are 0.295" wide and the Traxxas are 0.245" wide, at least on the Traxxas rod ends I have. Okay if your mount is single shear (one "plate" only) but for double shear mounting (like the axle mount where the rod end is captured between 2 "plates") the Traxxas balls will slide side to side unless you use spacers. There are Axial metal pivot balls available just can't recall from where at the moment. Maybe someone can help an old guy out with this one.
Thanks for the tip on the hollow balls - I'll be sure to source some wider ones if I go with the BPC option. Re the cheap ebay one above, option B, it bothers me (prob fine, but...) that there is only one 'ear' to attach both links to? So, I guess you need a long bolt going all the way through with a nyloc the other end? Surely that's less robust / stiff than a mount that supports each ball individually, i.e. two 'ears' like the BPC mount? Or are the single ear ones just fine in reality?

SCX10 4-link conversion - options? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 4 link conversion snoking Axial AX-10 Scorpion 16 01-17-2011 04:19 PM
SCX10 TR 4 Link Conversion Planespotter Axial SCX-10 1 06-27-2010 12:52 PM
4-Link Conversion Greatscott Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 3 05-05-2010 12:15 AM