Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: AnimalHippie's Family Dingo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2019, 07:03 PM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: AnimalHippie's Family Dingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
^^waaaaaaat? Lmbo

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Si habla mucho Espanol amigo.

Said thank you my friend. it's a great little truck. Only thing holding it back is the bumpers
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2019, 03:36 AM   #62
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
Si habla mucho Espanol amigo.

Said thank you my friend. it's a great little truck. Only thing holding it back is the bumpers
Oh, gotcha lol. Sometimes i wish id took spanish in school

indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:46 AM   #63
RCC Addict

Small update for this awesome little crawler. Installed a Trx-4 rear bumper mount upsidedown in the rear with a bit of modification. It raised the bumper 1/2" giving me allot better clearance.

Did some trimming to the fender flares and used some heat to bend the rock sliders up a little. Now has allot better clearance in the wheel wells.

Then of course had to take it out back for a short test run.

Thanks for checking out my build!
Old 07-11-2019, 03:36 PM   #64

A difficult track, that Dingo behaved well
pedrolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:32 PM   #65
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolo View Post
A difficult track, that Dingo behaved well

I tried to make my backyard course fairly difficult. There's only 1 line on the course this guy can't go, but I haven't had dry rocks to try it since the bumper mods I did. So maybe it will now. I love running this rig. Most of the time I let the girls run my Trx-4 and I run this one. Thanks for checking it out!
Old 08-09-2019, 07:41 AM   #66
RCC Addict

Got the OD gear for the front of this rig. Install was super easy. It wasn't a big change, but do notice the front pulling the truck up stuff a little easier. Will be doing a video on it soon, but might be waiting for a bigger surprise before I post that video.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:20 PM   #67
RCC Addict

I just noticed this and I really don't like it. The driveshaft hanging under the links. Shorter links on the bottom. longer on the top will kick the axles the right way and keep WB correct. Once you've done that. How do you get the steering linkage and servo to work out correctly? Clockable C-hubs? Anyone wanna lend a brotha an idea? LoL! Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-09-2019, 10:00 PM   #68
RCC Addict

Looks like your driveshaft has been twisted a bit brother. Torquey lil truck huh? Lol

Old 08-10-2019, 05:13 AM   #69
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Looks like your driveshaft has been twisted a bit brother. Torquey lil truck huh? Lol

I didn't notice that till you said something. You made me go pick it up and look at it. LoL! The rear has a slight twist. Good ol axial plastics LMAO! Guess that's something else I need to look into. It's definitely a torquey Lil guy.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:53 AM   #70
RCC Addict

Lol, i dont remember if i posted up a pic or not, but my monster truck twisted the rear shaft too. But runnin a traxxas mxl-6 (castle) esc n 2400kv BL on 4s, i guess its to b expected...

Old 11-19-2019, 11:57 AM   #71
RCC Addict

It's been awhile since I've posted any updates. Life has been crazy, but this is a pretty good one.

I've been trying to get more steering out of this rig since day one. I looked into 10-2 axles, XR mod and high clearance parts. With all of those being kinda high for my extremely tight RC budget. I found a decent deal on the stage 1 high clearance knuckles and c-hubs. I was talking to my good brother Codyboy about getting some more steering outta it. He said wait on buying the high clearance knuckles and he'd look around his shop and see if he could dig up something that might help. Oh boy did he find something!

XR MOD!!!! He sent me a stock Scx10 axle with the XR mod installed! I went ahead and pulled everything out of it and installed it into my SSD D60 axle housings.

Man, did that make a difference!!! This thing really turns now! It went from a 9 foot turning circle to under a 5 foot turning circle.
Stock

XR mod

Stock

XR mod

XR mod added right around 10 grams to the front axle
Stock

XR mod

Have crawled it out back a handful of times, but haven't gotten to really get out and do some good crawling with it. Joss is ready to get back out to the trails. Just gotta get some time. It does so much better that's for sure. I know I said it 1000 times already, but THANK YOU ERNIE!!!! You're one hell of a guy!!! Thanks for taking a look at my thread! Go Crawl Something!!!!
Old 11-19-2019, 09:50 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Gotta take care of my girls!
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 11-20-2019 at 11:31 AM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:49 PM   #73
RCC Addict

So since the last update the XR mod helped out tremendously. This rig has been an awesome crawler. A few weeks ago I was doing a tree challenge and it didn't go so well.

https://youtu.be/GuGr822dP2g

So since the SSD D60 housings are getting hard to find now that they have been discontinued. I decided on putting a set of Trx-4 axles under it. I had a complete front end and a few other goodies from the amazing CODYBOY. Then found a great deal on a complete rear axle from one of our forum brothers.

This is how they sit currently

Just waiting for the Servo On Axle mount to show up tomorrow. So far everything seems like it's going to work out. The Trx axles are much slower then the SCX10 axles. So to counter that I removed the 540 55t and installed a 550 HH 21t to try to get back to a decent amount of top speed. Also did the mirror mod on the trans to get the front driveshaft to have the correct angle and to counter any torque twist.

Once I get the SOA mount installed and get some time to video. I will be making a video on this and will update the build thread again. Thanks for looking! Have a great day!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2021, 08:14 PM   #74
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
Then found a great deal on a complete rear axle from one of our forum brothers.
It's good to see that axle go to a good home . It'll be better off in your hands than collecting dust in my garage.

I'll always be happy to help out where I can.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:06 AM   #75
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc-93 View Post
It's good to see that axle go to a good home . It'll be better off in your hands than collecting dust in my garage.

I'll always be happy to help out where I can.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Thank you again brother!!!

Ok time for another update!

The SOA mount showed up the other day

The print quality and design are great! The mount fit perfectly on the axle like it should. Big thumbs up to 1 Tenth RC!!! Only issue I had was finding a bolt long enough to go all the way through. After searching everywhere to find one. I found one after looking through every box in my local Ace hardware.

Once I got everything installed for the front end. I did a test just to see how much slower the Trx axle was compared to the SCX10 axle. Both with stock gearing. The SCX10 axle was 2.75 turns to 1 turn on the Trx-4 axle. The Trx axles definitely make the chassis sit higher. About 5/8" higher.

Installed some MFR outer portal covers on the rear axle. Then installed it. Other then changing a few rod ends to get the axles to sit correctly. It was a very simple install.

Now trying to decide on how I want to get the chassis lower. Either going to 80mm shocks or using shock mount extensions and having the 90mm shocks go through the inner fenders. Haven't made up my mind yet.

As for my goal of 8mph with the Trx axles and a 21t trailmaster sport...... I think it tops out around 5ish mph. Think I might try to find a 12t trailmaster sport. Sometimes you need a little more wheel speed due to allot of loose terrain here in FL.

Over all it crawls really good and is allot more stable then before. Despite the chassis being a bit higher.

I'm going to do a little more test and tune this evening. Also might shoot some video so I can post it up for you guys to see it in action. Any thoughts and or suggestions are more then welcome! Thanks for checking out my build!!! Have a great day!!!!
Old 05-20-2021, 05:48 AM   #76
Quarry Creeper

Very nice!
It looks like you are running Proline shock. What about switching from dual rate springs to maybe TRX4 orange single spring, and a pen spring inside the shock. Run it in a droop setup.
rob5059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:14 AM   #77
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob5059 View Post
Very nice!
It looks like you are running Proline shock. What about switching from dual rate springs to maybe TRX4 orange single spring, and a pen spring inside the shock. Run it in a droop setup.

Thanks brother! Those are some El cheapo shocks. Don't even know the brand. I just needed something till I could pick up another set of GTS shocks. Springs are the same diameter as the stock axial springs. I thought about running full droop, but I'm already at about 85% now and there's only about 8mm of shock shaft exposed. Which isn't going to get me down where I'd like it to be. So don't know if that's what I wanna do.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:55 PM   #78
RCC Addict

And the next update....

I ended up going with some hot racing capra lift kit brackets. To get the chassis lowered.

The holes weren't exact but a small amount of Dremel work wasn't bad. They ended up giving me the exact amount of drop I was looking for. Now the shocks are through the fenders.

Took it out for another year run yesterday.

One word..... Stable!
This thing crawled all over the place. With the short WB it doesn't like vertical climbs much, but anything else... It takes it! I crawled some lines I never thought it would hold. Surely never would have before. By the end of my rock therapy session I had broken some rod ends and sprung a leak in a tires.

All in all it was a great test run. Now time to build some new links using better rod ends and find this dang leak. Thanks for checking it out!!! Have a great day!!!!
Old 07-12-2021, 06:48 AM   #79
RCC Addict

Got a few mins yesterday evening to play around out back. I'm really liking this rig with the portals under it.

Going to be picking up a 12t trailmaster sport to try to get a little more wheel speed. With the 21t it just doesn't have enough to hop up ledges if need be. Will also be picking up some trans gears. Since I did the mirror mod on the trans it has been very loud. I've switched the gears in the trans around 4 different times trying to get them quieter, but it hasn't changed. I was thinking about switching out to a stealth x trans from the Enduro, but not sure how it would work out and haven't found one at the right price for my budget yet.

Thanks for taking a look at my build!!! Hope you have a great day!!!

AnimalHippie's Family Dingo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AnimalHippie's Trx-4 Adventure AnimalHippie Traxxas TRX-4 410 02-09-2023 06:16 PM
AnimalHippie's backyard course & Trx-4 AnimalHippie Videos! 0 07-02-2018 08:41 AM
my cc-01 family grimbergen19 Tamiya XC/CC01 7 11-18-2009 01:54 PM