Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: AnimalHippie's Family Dingo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2018, 07:05 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default AnimalHippie's Family Dingo

A couple of weeks ago an amazing friend (carpetfuzz) sent us an Axial Dingo he had built for my family. I had been watching him build this rig for a month or so. He was asking me my suggestions on his build. I thought I was helping a brother push through a build. Little did I know it was for my wife & daughters. We were blown away when we opened up a box to find this awesome little rig. Thank you Mark! You have no idea how happy you have made us! Now we can all enjoy the hobby together. I caught the wife looking at some RC websites the other day. I'm super stoked that she's getting into it. Ok now onto the build.

Here's what was done before we got it.
Stock SCX10 dingo kit
SSD axles
Aluminum upper, lower & steering links
HPI 55t crawler motor
Hobbywing 1060 ESC
Carpetfuzz custom lighting kit
Carpetfuzz custom paint job

So far I have moved the battery tray to in front of the motor for more weight to the front & lower COG. Moved the receiver box to the side skid plate. Also had the wife remove the spider gears & install the lockers in the diffs.

Waiting on a package in the mail with some black SSD beadlocks, 4.3" proline super swamper TSL & some beef patty hexes.

More upgrades to come

Last edited by AnimalHippie; 09-13-2018 at 09:58 AM.
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2018, 07:16 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: AnimalHippie's Family Dingo

Here's a few pics

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2018, 09:18 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Got the new SSD wheels and 4.3" TSL's along with some beef patty hexes the other day. Thank you for the great deal Pant Danza! Pulled the super squishy foams out of the 4.3" TSL's & installed some CODYBOY designs foams in them. They're for a little bigger tire, but seem like they'll work out good. The wife isn't big on the small tires so I might throw the RC4WD iroks or the cut trail canyons on it. Gonna run it a bit this evening and see how it does before I do. Simple install of the beef patties. I'll post some more pics this evening after running a bit on the backyard course

Last edited by AnimalHippie; 09-17-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:01 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Took the Dingo out for a run last night to see how the new tires, wheels & brass helped. It did really good! Climbed a few areas it wouldn't before. Only got to run for a few mins before I found out about a weak spot on the axle. Didn't even know the tire was bound up in any way. The stock c hub let me know. Crazy how weak the plastics are on these axial rigs. Gonna grab a set of stock ones for now till I can afford a brass set

Old 09-22-2018, 01:52 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
Took the Dingo out for a run last night to see how the new tires, wheels & brass helped. It did really good! Climbed a few areas it wouldn't before. Only got to run for a few mins before I found out about a weak spot on the axle. Didn't even know the tire was bound up in any way. The stock c hub let me know. Crazy how weak the plastics are on these axial rigs. Gonna grab a set of stock ones for now till I can afford a brass set

Justin, let me check and see if I have some alum ones I can send you.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:23 PM   #6

That is awesome! Hope you guys get to share a lot of enjoyment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
freakinjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:09 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Justin, let me check and see if I have some alum ones I can send you.
Ernie, you're an amazing person! You don't have to do that though. You have helped in so many ways. Haven't told the wife yet, so gotta find some local quicklike :-) Both rigs chilling on the bench till I can get to the LHS.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:28 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinjeeper View Post
That is awesome! Hope you guys get to share a lot of enjoyment!

It is awesome bro! I love that my family is into it!

Old 09-25-2018, 12:55 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I've always liked the Axial Dingo. Neat to see your wife show some interest in the hobby. My wife has pretty much hated it since I got into it, but at least she's happy that I enjoy it. We've been looking for a home to buy, and she's even been keeping in mind that I would like to have space to run my RC's, so that's at least something. hahaa...
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:15 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post
I've always liked the Axial Dingo. Neat to see your wife show some interest in the hobby. My wife has pretty much hated it since I got into it, but at least she's happy that I enjoy it. We've been looking for a home to buy, and she's even been keeping in mind that I would like to have space to run my RC's, so that's at least something. hahaa...
The Dingo is a great little rig. With just a little added weight on the front axle it almost keeps up with my Trx-4. If it had better bumper clearance I think it would stick right with it. Almost makes me want to cut 1.5" out of the center of the trx frame and make a super short wb. Maybe when I go truggy with it The wife being into it is great! Wish she was into it like me, but some is better then none At least yours has your hobby in mind. Good luck finding a great home to buy!
Old 09-26-2018, 11:26 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
The Dingo is a great little rig. With just a little added weight on the front axle it almost keeps up with my Trx-4. If it had better bumper clearance I think it would stick right with it. Almost makes me want to cut 1.5" out of the center of the trx frame and make a super short wb. Maybe when I go truggy with it The wife being into it is great! Wish she was into it like me, but some is better then none At least yours has your hobby in mind. Good luck finding a great home to buy!
Thanks! I have a painted Dingo body that I did two years ago, but have had problems fitting it on any of my SCX10/10.2 platforms, because it seems to have been malformed from the factory, so that the wheelbase(measures around 11.12") doesn't line up, or else I'm mechanically and/or geometrically handicapped. I like it so much, though, that I can't get rid of it. If I can't get it to fit on a scale rig, I'll at least throw it on a Traxxas Stampede 4x4 chassis, or something.

Old 09-26-2018, 03:28 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post
Thanks! I have a painted Dingo body that I did two years ago, but have had problems fitting it on any of my SCX10/10.2 platforms, because it seems to have been malformed from the factory, so that the wheelbase(measures around 11.12") doesn't line up, or else I'm mechanically and/or geometrically handicapped. I like it so much, though, that I can't get rid of it. If I can't get it to fit on a scale rig, I'll at least throw it on a Traxxas Stampede 4x4 chassis, or something.

Have u tryed addin a few washers between the rodend n the link? My HR links were just a lil to long for the body im goina use. So i took out the red washers between the rodends n links n it was just enough

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:31 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Have u tryed addin a few washers between the rodend n the link? My HR links were just a lil to long for the body im goina use. So i took out the red washers between the rodends n links n it was just enough

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
On my current SCX10 II Deadbolt chassis, I've got some RC4WD titanium links and rod ends that I'm going to try, and if that fails, I might try my Vaterra Ascender K10 chassis. After awhile, it just gets tiresome, running into dead ends. I won't go into further detail, because I don't want this to become a thread-jack. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:08 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Finally made it to the hobby shop. One happy hippie right here. Dingo will be crawling again tonight!

Old 10-01-2018, 08:52 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Got the new c hub installed on the dingo. This little truck impresses me every time it goes on the rocks. Can't wait to do a few more upgrades and really get this rig crawling like a champ.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:44 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Had a few hours of crawl time last night. This little rig really impressed me. It was able to follow my Trx-4 almost anywhere it went. Had a great time running and testing the rigs!

This was the top of a 4ft 60° climb. This rig is great!

Last edited by AnimalHippie; 10-06-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:08 AM   #17
RCC Addict

where did you get the front grille on the orange Dingo?
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:33 PM   #18

Finally started my own build thread after some influence from reading yours. Glad that your rig is working out well, and still following along

freakinjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:00 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussprinceton2004 View Post
where did you get the front grille on the orange Dingo?
That's a stock Trx-4 defender grill.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:03 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinjeeper View Post
Finally started my own build thread after some influence from reading yours. Glad that your rig is working out well, and still following along

That's awesome! I just checked it out. Like the way your going with your build. Keep up the great work!

AnimalHippie's Family Dingo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AnimalHippie's Trx-4 Adventure AnimalHippie Traxxas TRX-4 410 02-09-2023 06:16 PM
AnimalHippie's backyard course & Trx-4 AnimalHippie Videos! 0 07-02-2018 08:41 AM
my cc-01 family grimbergen19 Tamiya XC/CC01 7 11-18-2009 01:54 PM