Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Best Bang For Your Buck Steering Mod???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2018, 06:57 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Question Best Bang For Your Buck Steering Mod???

I've seen a few different steering mods for the scx10. I'm getting my wish list put together for my rigs. We love our scx10 dingo. It's a crawling machine, but would like to get a little more out of the steering. It has the SSD axles and other then metal links. the suspension and steering is stock. Will be putting a power hd 20k servo in at some point. What's the best Bang for my Buck when it comes to these steering mods? I have a pretty tight budget, but don't want to spend $100 on something that's ok just to find that if i would have spent $150 i would have great steering. Any suggestions and knowledge is very much appreciated. Thank you! Have a great day!
AnimalHippie is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2018, 07:01 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Best Bang For Your Buck Steering Mod???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
I've seen a few different steering mods for the scx10. I'm getting my wish list put together for my rigs. We love our scx10 dingo. It's a crawling machine, but would like to get a little more out of the steering. It has the SSD axles and other then metal links. the suspension and steering is stock. Will be putting a power hd 20k servo in at some point. What's the best Bang for my Buck when it comes to these steering mods? I have a pretty tight budget, but don't want to spend $100 on something that's ok just to find that if i would have spent $150 i would have great steering. Any suggestions and knowledge is very much appreciated. Thank you! Have a great day!
Best steering mod is the narrow xr mod which is now pretty easy to do. Wraith knuckles on scx10 diff case gives ridiculous steering. Not super cheap though.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
byrnieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:26 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I am ahout to do the narrow xr mod today as soon as my parts come in ive done it to the rear of a rig but this will be my first front end xrmod not that its hard or anything i got the parts for.under $100 i got ssd double sheere knuckles ebay $30 some dirty cheap c-hubs about $12 and reguler xrmod universals for $36 came in just over $75 if you can find used or discounted parts it gets even cheaper i just need to shave the shafts down a bit and cut some groves in the screw hole nubs so the wraith c-hubs slide on then drill tape a few screw holes

Last edited by ferp420; 11-05-2018 at 01:24 PM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:16 AM   #4
RCC Addict

So the xr mod is the best bet? Is there allot more to do if you go with the 10-2 axles? Are they worth it? Doesn't seem like there's many straight answers when it comes to this subject. I don't even know what parts to start looking up for this mod. Guess it's time to sit and do a bunch more research. Thanks for your input guys!
Old 11-06-2018, 08:17 AM   #5
RCC Addict

The Scx10.2 axles I put on my Wraith have great steering stock, I need to get a high clearance link and I'll have even more, as it is now my straight link limits my steering hitting the punkin. I bought my axles off a member here but they were brand new, paid $110 for them the set I was looking at ebay were $118 so I saved $8.

In my opinion I'd go with newer axles, I've modded the older style and it's not hard but the new axles give you more clearance, better steering, and better scale look from the start.

Last edited by kincer; 11-06-2018 at 08:28 AM.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:26 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The XR mod will get you the most steering but you can still get really good steering out of a set of high clearance knuckles and a set of good CVDs.

Go to TCS Crawlers and get a set of Axial high clearance knuckles for $22 (40% off, just add it to the cart for the discount) and a set of Hot Racing c hubs for $10 (50% off). Then pick up a set of good SCX10 CVDs like the Locked Up OTVDs, bolt everything on, reuse your stock links, and enjoy more steering.

Axial Hi-clearance Knuckles (2pcs) # AX30526

$9 OFF Hot Racing Axial SCX10 Added Castor Angle C-Hubs SCP19X01
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:20 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

In my opinion the best part of the xr mod is you can run axial universals there about as strong as you can get the cvds suck in my opinion the scx10ii axles are already set up for univerals out of the box but im still not sold on the gear set i just dont knownenuff about them yet
Old 11-06-2018, 07:30 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I did my narrow xr mod today went together with out a hitch to do the xr mod you only need wraith knuckles wraith c-hubs and xr universals and custom steering links for parts to do the mod itself i used a file tp file some groves in the nubs on th3 scx10 axle housing and a drill and a 3m tap but im working with cast housings not plastic you dont need a.drill or a tap if working with plastic housings just some self tapping screws to hold the chubs on

Ive seen 8° c-hubs that are made for the scx10 aswell and they say you can use wraith knuckels but i dont know if its true or not or if you can run the unis or not there pricey so i just went with what i knew would work
I think the scx10ii axles would cost more than $100 for take offs and i think closer to 200 to build unless u buy used parts

Last edited by ferp420; 11-06-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:18 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
you dont need a.drill or a tap if working with plastic housings just some self tapping screws to hold the chubs on
I wouldn't trust the XR mod on the stock plastic housings without some axle tubes to actually hold on the c-hubs. There isn't much material for mounting the stock SCX10 hubs and the Wraith hubs require screwing into an even thinner part of the housing.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:26 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post

Honestly. 4 wheel steering can be done for cheaper then the XR mod and is really fun to drive.

Just a thought outside the box.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:02 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Not looking to go 4 wheel steer. Just better steering for the family dingo. I'm going to see what I can find. Maybe 10-2 axles. Just gotta find a good price. Have also been thinking about putting some Trx-4 axles under it. Not sure what I'm gonna do yet. Once I start painting my trx I might see how much it'll take for the axles to go under the Dingo.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Last edited by AnimalHippie; 11-07-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I still think 10.2 axles are the way to go, the only hitch I can see is you'd have to fab up a panhard bar, which you'll have to do with TRX axles as well. I plan on leaving my 10.2 axles stock other than a high clearance link and just upgrading as needed. I have seen a couple axle mount servo brackets on ebay for both axles as well.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:22 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

First pic is a bone stock SCX10. The second is a fresh OG deadbolt with a 10.2 axle swap. SSD hardware on plastic housings.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:58 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascender'nMN84 View Post
First pic is a bone stock SCX10. The second is a fresh OG deadbolt with a 10.2 axle swap. SSD hardware on plastic housings.

Looks like it definitely made a difference. How'd the swap go? The CMS fight you at all? Seems like allot of guys have issues going to CMS. By chance you have a parts list for the swap?
Old 11-08-2018, 07:06 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I've no experience with the scx10.2 chassis yet just the original but I bet everything for a cms setup on the 10.2 could be made to work on the original, the axial manuals and parts list are available for download on Axials site, if I wasn't busy at work I'd do some investigating for you.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:13 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Truth be told, that's actually the lady's rig and I don't have a lot of time spent running it. I used the SSD conversion kit.

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/ssd00208.htm

I already had some 10.2 chubs and knuckles from a CODYBOY steering Ascender axle that had an issue with the chubs holding in place, so I stole those for her build. I also had the 10.2 universals on hand from that too so my cost was sorta spread out over time.

The CMS hasn't been an issue thus far but I did have to file one of the pieces as it was just off of square and wouldn't allow all 4 screws to hold the servo down. I'm talking just enough material that I only used a hand file. After that, everything has been fine. I'm SERIOUSLY considering doing this to my OG deadbolt this winter. Now I don't know how the conversion kit will work on a dingo chassis as I believe they were 11.4" WB and the deadbolt is 12.0" but that's a personal call.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:22 AM   #17
RCC Addict

It's all good brotha. Not like i have the funds to jump into it right away. Just trying to get an idea of parts and price before i start digging in.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:23 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Just like anything else in this hobby it'll be trial an error, it took me quite a bit of time to get my cms set up on my Wraith with 10.2 axles to clear everything and max out articulation and steering but it was worth it and fun. Also I looked at it last night and high clearance link isn't going to do me any good because if I get any more steering out of it the tires will hit the shocks they are just barely rubbing them now. I'm going to have see what if anything can be changed, if not I'm good cause it already has great steering.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:52 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascender'nMN84 View Post

On your axle swap I see you have a panhard. Are you running 3 link? It’s my understanding that a triangulated 4 link there is no need for a panhard bar?

I have a boom racing xrmod now and love the steering but hate the width. Want to put on a set of 10.2 axles for the steering and the clearance of the punkin. What servo mount are you using? Do the aftermarket 10.2 servo bumper mounts fit on the scx10?

If so it looks like all I need are the axles and a cms. I make my own links
dirtman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:00 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman71 View Post
On your axle swap I see you have a panhard. Are you running 3 link? It’s my understanding that a triangulated 4 link there is no need for a panhard bar?

I have a boom racing xrmod now and love the steering but hate the width. Want to put on a set of 10.2 axles for the steering and the clearance of the punkin. What servo mount are you using? Do the aftermarket 10.2 servo bumper mounts fit on the scx10?

If so it looks like all I need are the axles and a cms. I make my own links
I used the SSD conversion kit which came with the CMS pieces and it is a panhard bar 3 link setup.

Best Bang For Your Buck Steering Mod??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steering link and drag link - what's the best bang for the buck? Matthewboerner Axial Wraith 29 10-25-2011 10:25 AM
Best bang for the buck xpnsvtoys Newbie General 14 01-05-2010 10:11 AM
Best bang for the buck NastyCrawler Newbie General 18 08-10-2008 07:24 AM
best bang for the buck??? bigredneck61088 General Crawlers 6 04-02-2008 07:36 AM