Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Garage build.. scx10 wroncho truggy style..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2018, 09:32 PM   #1

Well it's been awhile since I've been on here. I currently have way to many projects going on but decided to share my semi budget build with everybody using all my leftover parts and pieces in the garage. I know I have to order some new things but we'll see what I need as time goes by .The plan is to do a 1.9 wroncho truggy style with the SCX10 chassis skid plate and tranny. I really like the new Toyota SR5 body from Proline so I went ahead and started with that. Here's what we have so far...stay turned its gona be fun.

I had a full size chassis, some old school slider skid plates, and an aluminum china scx10 transmission that I started with.. I've always been a fan of back to the future so I just had to have the proline sr5 body hahah. I got all that pieces together yesterday and now I've started on the truggy cage.. seems easy enough right.. this is what I've done so far..

Last edited by THX_138; 02-19-2019 at 10:24 PM.
Bottlefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2018, 01:37 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Garage build.. scx10 wroncho truggy style..

Like it, where did you get the rear box (silver) from please. Need one myself!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:22 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler Cads View Post
Like it, where did you get the rear box (silver) from please. Need one myself!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
thats a gift card box from tractor supply
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:31 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Nice work! What kind of bender are you using? I'm looking to try and start building some bumpers and things.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
thats a gift card box from tractor supply
Indeed.. thank you.. home depot has them also

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
Nice work! What kind of bender are you using? I'm looking to try and start building some bumpers and things.
I picked it up off eBay... It was either Harbor Freight or Eastwood it was the one of the cheapest ones on eBay and well worth the money that works great

Last edited by THX_138; 02-19-2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:55 AM   #6

Nice start to the build! Are those Chinese wheels you're using?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:00 AM   #7

U have a pic of your soldering set up? Looks like silver solder.im curious of your torch

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
jacobmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:55 AM   #8

Yes those are the methods style Chinese Wheels... I'll probably be going with Gearhead in the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Nice start to the build! Are those Chinese wheels you're using?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmc View Post
U have a pic of your soldering set up? Looks like silver solder.im curious of your torch

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Its actually brazing. I use 1700° flux coated brazing rod with an acetylene torch. Hope this helps..

Time for some sandblasting..I decided I'm gona go ahead and powder coat the entire frame, rock sliders, and cage.. well see how it comes out. I'll post up some pics real soon..

First parts are coming out of the oven..!

Parts came out way awesome! I couldn't be happier

Last edited by THX_138; 02-19-2019 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Merged, posts same day minutes apart
Old 11-14-2018, 04:32 PM   #9
RCC Addict

BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Love that shade of purple, its my fav color. Painted my 1:1 plum crazy purple lol. Great job on the powder coat. Never done it before, is it rather easy?

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Love that shade of purple, its my fav color. Painted my 1:1 plum crazy purple lol. Great job on the powder coat. Never done it before, is it rather easy?

hey thanks man really appreciate it... I love that color also and powder coating is not that hard I just takes a little patience and a lot of prep work... But it can be had for pretty inexpensive. Thanks again

It's coming together good so far.. I'm happy

More progress... Well I robbed the links off of my 13 wheelbase scx10 to get an idea of where I want the axles to sit at and it seems they're pretty close... I was also thinking about moving my lower links to the outside of the chassis rails to make more clearance for the drive shaft if I decide to rotate the transmission. I still have to build new bent upper links also. These links are just for mock-up.

Last edited by THX_138; 02-19-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:48 PM   #11

Weill I had a few minutes and made the new upper bent links today.. I put a little more bend on them than usual so I would have any clearance issues at all.. time to do another pair..

Ohh and on another note I'm trying to decide what wheels I'm going with... hmmm.. here are the options. Gear head 1.9 or locked up 1.9 wide..

Well I managed to get the rest of the links done now I can put my Jeep that I disassemble the back together.. LOL

Well this is what it looks like as it sits right now... Looks like I'll probably be lowering it a little bit more still not for sure on the rims and tires yet I don't want to go with that for now. Hope you like..

Last edited by THX_138; 02-19-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:18 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Been a couple days since I checked this out, Wow that cage work and powder coating came out SWEET!
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:28 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Looks good with those wheels on it. Plus side is u have a spare with that set. Cant wait to see how the body turns out.

Lookin at new shocks for my 10.2 to help lower it a bit as well. Just dont wanna lose the articulation. As of now ive got a lil over 4". How much are u gettin with where its sittin now? Wat shocks u runnin?

Old 11-17-2018, 07:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Looks good with those wheels on it. Plus side is u have a spare with that set. Cant wait to see how the body turns out.

Lookin at new shocks for my 10.2 to help lower it a bit as well. Just dont wanna lose the articulation. As of now ive got a lil over 4". How much are u gettin with where its sittin now? Wat shocks u runnin?

at work already working some graveyards but when I get home I'll do some measuring and let you know I'm running the RC 4 wheel drive King shocks 100 mm I think... have you ever ran or considered boom racing type G Shocks. I ran them on my wraith and it's set very low on with the articulation was still crazy good. I ran a 110 mm shocks and they seem to droop really good. I was also thinking about doing the body and black white purple decals..
Old 11-17-2018, 07:57 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottlefed View Post
at work already working some graveyards but when I get home I'll do some measuring and let you know I'm running the RC 4 wheel drive King shocks 100 mm I think... have you ever ran or considered boom racing type G Shocks. I ran them on my wraith and it's set very low on with the articulation was still crazy good. I ran a 110 mm shocks and they seem to droop really good. I was also thinking about doing the body and black white purple decals..
I built mine from ground up. Got parts in a 'lot' buy, so im runnin stock axial shocks. Lookin at the traxxas gts. Ive looked into the boom racing, they look pretty cool. I like the look of the internal shocks. Kinda looked at the desert lizards too. Any recommendation on springs for the boom racing ones?

I think the black with purple would look good. Maybe a lil silver accent, just a slight touch if any?

Old 11-17-2018, 09:04 PM   #16

Quote:
I built mine from ground up. Got parts in a 'lot' buy, so im runnin stock axial shocks. Lookin at the traxxas gts. Ive looked into the boom racing, they look pretty cool. I like the look of the internal shocks. Kinda looked at the desert lizards too. Any recommendation on springs for the boom racing ones?

I think the black with purple would look good. Maybe a lil silver accent, just a slight touch if any?

The traxxas and the desert lizard both look pretty nice.. unfortunately I haven't had a chance to try em out.. and as far as the boom shocks... they come with three different sets of Springs I just run the ones that are in them already they seem to work pretty good. like a medium

Pic of the booms on my old wraith..

Last edited by THX_138; 02-19-2019 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Merged, posts same day minutes apart
Old 11-24-2018, 11:22 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

That does look great

I just started to dabble with brazing. I want to know where you found your flat bar? Is that 1/16 thick?
dirtman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman71 View Post
That does look great

I just started to dabble with brazing. I want to know where you found your flat bar? Is that 1/16 thick?
Thank you, and I think its 1/8" x 3/4" flat strap and i picked
it up at home depot..

I just wanted to apologize for the lack of updates... I'll do a little more work on it today finally have some days off after the holiday, and I've got caught up working on my SCX10 I'll have to do another post for that one

Last edited by THX_138; 02-19-2019 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:49 PM   #19

Still in progress but it all up and running now.. here's the latest pics..

Last edited by THX_138; 02-19-2019 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Merged, posts same day minute apart
Old 02-24-2019, 07:29 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Really nice work on the cage.Turned out fantastic.
Love the purple,looks like candy.
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truggy, wroncho

Garage build.. scx10 wroncho truggy style.. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 II Wroncho Build ThatJeeper2017 2.2 Scale Rigs 9 11-03-2018 08:07 AM
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 10:26 PM
My Wroncho Build - Jeep Honcho Truggy Muddchick80 Axial SCX-10 12 05-25-2014 08:53 AM