Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Deadbolt battery tray dimensions and lipo suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2018, 12:29 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Deadbolt battery tray dimensions and lipo suggestions

Howdy friends,

Anyone have a clue on what size the battery compartment is for the lime green deadbolt? Think it’s the gen1 edition. And maybe if you all have any suggestions on brands? I’ve used SMC in the past and thought highly of them.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mattyice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2018, 02:07 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Deadbolt battery tray dimensions and lipo suggestions

Don't remember the exact dimensions but the stock SCX10 tray has plenty of length and width for most full size lipo packs (140ish mm L X 50ish mm W) and the height is really only limited by the diameter the velcro straps can hold. There are a few really high capacity out there that are longer than most batteries, just stay away from those and you should have no problem finding something that fits your truck and budget.

As for batteries, I'm partial to the Helios 3000mah 3S packs since they are about the size and weight of the average 2200mah have but almost 40% more capacity.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:46 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Don't remember the exact dimensions but the stock SCX10 tray has plenty of length and width for most full size lipo packs (140ish mm L X 50ish mm W) and the height is really only limited by the diameter the velcro straps can hold. There are a few really high capacity out there that are longer than most batteries, just stay away from those and you should have no problem finding something that fits your truck and budget.

As for batteries, I'm partial to the Helios 3000mah 3S packs since they are about the size and weight of the average 2200mah have but almost 40% more capacity.

Thank you, sir! I noticed you called out the “stock battery tray.” Do most folks modify or relocate the tray?

Old 11-27-2018, 05:59 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyice View Post
Thank you, sir! I noticed you called out the “stock battery tray.” Do most folks modify or relocate the tray?
Yes, it is a very common mod to move the battery tray across the chassis behind the front shock towers. There are several kits that accomplish this or it is pretty easy with some homemade brackets.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:16 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post

Hi again, friend, do you need a BEC to run 3S? Few folks have mentioned that now. May just stick to 2S in the meantime if running more cells will require further modifications.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:41 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyice View Post
Hi again, friend, do you need a BEC to run 3S? Few folks have mentioned that now. May just stick to 2S in the meantime if running more cells will require further modifications.
I assume you are talking about using the Deadbolt RTR electronics. You don't need to run a BEC regardless of what batteries you run, it is 100% capable of running just by plugging in a 3S pack.

However, a BEC is good to add to pretty much any setup because it will provide your servo with all the power it could need. This becomes more important when you upgrade the servo to something more powerful than the stock servo.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:58 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I say 2s to start then step up to 3s. This accomplishes two things.
1. You find out whether you got a bad batch on something it definitely can handle
2. You have room to grow into the excitement that higher voltage brings
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:20 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by odomandr View Post
I say 2s to start then step up to 3s. This accomplishes two things.
1. You find out whether you got a bad batch on something it definitely can handle
2. You have room to grow into the excitement that higher voltage brings
Meh, then you end up wasting money buying a 2S pack that will never get used again after running 3S.

3S power = financially prudent move
Old 11-28-2018, 03:58 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Found two SMC’s that I like: 3S 4500mAh 85Amps/90c and the 2S 7400mAh 149 Amps/90C

You think these rascals would work well? Just say Send It and go the 3S route? Or one of each?

Old 11-29-2018, 05:56 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

3s in all of mine. Never have run a 2s.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote

Deadbolt battery tray dimensions and lipo suggestions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bomber battery tray wont fit new Lipo battery rock1997 Axial RR10 Bomber 10 08-20-2016 10:36 AM
Made a battery and electronics tray for my Deadbolt Headrunner Axial SCX-10 6 10-25-2014 08:24 PM
Battery tray dimensions jbsmith05 Axial AX10 2nd-gen 2 03-30-2013 07:55 PM
whats the dimensions of the stock battery tray? minnesotamudder Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 09-01-2010 01:22 PM
Dimensions of battery tray needed asap derek_18mt Venom Creeper 16 10-30-2009 10:00 AM