Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Drilling SSD D60 For Beef Tubes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2018, 05:21 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Question Drilling SSD D60 For Beef Tubes

My wife got some beef tubes for the dingo. It has a SSD D60 axle under it. Beef tubes website says drilling it out for the beef tubes is challenge and they recommend you buying their pre drilled D60 housing. Have any of you tried this? Is it really all that hard? I have multiple drills, a drill press & bits. Should I give it a go or just suck it up and buy a predrilled housing? Thanks in advance!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2018, 05:59 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Drilling SSD D60 For Beef Tubes

If it was me I'd try setting up a jig to keep it straight and steady on the drill press and take your time and try doing it yourself, but that's just me, the worst that can happen is you buy the pre drlled one if you don't succeed. It might take some thinking to set up it up but in the long run it would be worth it.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:12 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
If it was me I'd try setting up a jig to keep it straight and steady on the drill press and take your time and try doing it yourself, but that's just me, the worst that can happen is you buy the pre drlled one if you don't succeed. It might take some thinking to set up it up but in the long run it would be worth it.
I was thinking the same. Guess it won't hurt to give it a shot. Really not allot of options for the scx10 when it comes to axle weight. Thanks for the advice
Old 12-27-2018, 06:24 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
I was thinking the same. Guess it won't hurt to give it a shot. Really not allot of options for the scx10 when it comes to axle weight. Thanks for the advice
No problem, a lot of guys frown on this but I weight my wheels mostly just the fronts with stick on wheel weights for full size cars, I only had an issue one time doing this, I snapped a cvd on a TLT axle a long time ago but that's been it. I'm not real throttle happy when I get in a bind though but it's been working for me for years. My Trx4, my Ascender and my Wraith all have the fronts weighed down.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:37 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Well I tried drilling the axle housing out last night. Everything looks pretty good, but I guess it wasn't straight enough. I can't get the axle shafts back in. I'm going to look more at it later today. Was kinda aggravated after it didn't work out, but that's how custom shit goes. Probably be buying a new housing
Old 12-29-2018, 06:52 AM   #6
RCC Addict

That's a bummer man, hopefully after you take some time away from it maybe you'll see something you missed earlier when you were aggravated. Good luck, it's a bummer when something custom doesn't work out but when it does it really makes up for it.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:36 PM   #7

I sent my housings in to beef tubes and he drilled them out for me, turn around wasn't bad
joshiepoogoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:46 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Talking Re: Drilling SSD D60 For Beef Tubes

In-between playing with the crew and running around like a crazy person yesterday I was able to put a clear eye on this housing. Went back to the drill press & with a little finesse I was able to make this work. Would I do it again? Probably not. But it works! Got the axle back on the rig. Just a few wires to tuck from moving the ESC and Maybe this afternoon I'll get the chance to put it on the rocks. Thanks for the advice & encouraging words! Have a great day!

Drilling SSD D60 For Beef Tubes - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Genuine Beef Tubes and SSD D60 Axles Vengeance Axial SCX-10 7 03-21-2016 09:50 AM