Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New Hobbie wing 1080 now I have issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2019, 08:29 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default New Hobbie wing 1080 now I have issues

Hey guys I installed a new HW1080 in my sons scx10 everything was going great unit I asked if I could try it and I take the remote and roll it not hard by no means and now we have nothing working. The red light comes on the esc and flashes but no steering,motor or lights. I had turned up the voltage on the hw to 7.4v on the internal bec but other then that I left the settings alone. Could that have fried the receiver? We were running on 3s for about 5 min and then This all happened. Just wanted to get you guys take on what might have happened. It is the stock ar3 receiver and remote. I’m hoping it is an easy/cheap fix since we just put more money into his rig and I go breaking it.
Derr429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2019, 11:11 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New Hobbie wing 1080 now I have issues

Possibly the receiver is toast. The stock AE-5 ESC supplies 5V to the receiver. This receiver seems to be able to handle 6V for the most part but 7.4V is where things can go haywire. Some people have had no issues running 7.4V to this receiver but many burned up the receiver at 7.4V. As far as I know, most receivers max out at 6V. That's why a BEC is always recommended when you want to supply higher than 6V to the servo. Which now I think about it, if the servo toasted and is shorted out, the servo could be causing you the issues you have. Reset the HW voltage back to 6V and try unplugging the servo and see if the throttle works. If it does, the servo is suspect. If not, probably the receiver.

Can't remember but I think the flashing red light on the ESC with no throttle input indicates no signal. Might be wrong on that one. The red LED should be out when there is no throttle input, flashes as you apply throttle, and goes solid when full throttle applied.

One other thing. Do you get the short "beeps" indicating battery size (2s, 3s) and then the long "beep" indicating the ESC is in the "ready" state?

Last edited by nightcrawler48; 02-19-2019 at 11:28 PM.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:58 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Voltage input varies by receiver, always a good idea to look up specs when doing things a little outside the box.

A Tactic TR325, which you probably have, is only good for 4.0v-6.0v as mentioned above.

A Spectrum SR515 though, is good for 3.5v-9.6v, I run one of these at 7.4v without issue, and only do so because I'm using a 7.4v servo.

Definitely try the troubleshooting advise above.

Last edited by Xx Losungen xX; 02-20-2019 at 03:00 AM.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:12 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Well I figured out what the issue was his MytrickRC must not have been able to handle 7.4 volts as soon as I unplugged it I got power back to everything. I thought those light bars were able to take the voltage (and for the price they should) but I guess not. Never had a problem with 6.0v but glad he can get back to driving. Just need to track down a light bar that’s worth a darn.
Derr429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:35 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derr429 View Post
Well I figured out what the issue was his MytrickRC must not have been able to handle 7.4 volts as soon as I unplugged it I got power back to everything. I thought those light bars were able to take the voltage (and for the price they should) but I guess not. Never had a problem with 6.0v but glad he can get back to driving. Just need to track down a light bar that’s worth a darn.
Interesting. Never used any of the MyTrickRC stuff but just checked out their website. I can't see anything on the site about what voltage they will handle but they do state "You have two options to power the Light Bar, use a DG-1 Dragon controller or power directly off the vehicles receiver using the included adapter cable". I'm guessing that would mean max. 6V. (Info in my post above about receiver voltages). Just a guess on my part.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:05 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I power all of my lightbars straight off the battery so as to avoid brown outs and other issues, easier for me that way...add a jst connector to the esc wiring and done
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:01 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I have a dedicated BEC set to 6V to power all my lights directly from the battery. Cheap Hobbywing 5V/6V 3A. The reason I do this is I run mostly 2s but occasionally I'll run 3s. With the BEC I don't have to worry about over-voltage to the lights when I run the 3s. I make up all my own light systems so I can series the LEDs or add resisters as required to keep everything happy at 6V. If you stick to one voltage its easier but I like the options I have with my system.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:55 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I use a 3s balance plug extension and cut the end off, wire all my body LEDs and light bars to it. My preferred method as it's less stuff going on under the lid and when it's daytime, I just don't plug in the balance plug.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote

New Hobbie wing 1080 now I have issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steering Servo for Hobby Wing WP 1080? MuddyTRD Traxxas TRX-4 6 09-08-2018 07:14 PM
Hobby wing 1080 brushed programmable Killerbyrd14 Electronics 5 11-25-2016 11:10 PM
Русские идут (the Russian is coming) - our ironworker goes Scale... nicodrive01 Scale Videos! 8 05-07-2011 10:33 PM