Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Is the SCX10 now a Dinasour

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2019, 09:37 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Is the SCX10 now a Dinasour

I ask cause if you look online for the SCX10, at places like Tower Hobbies or Amazon or Ebay the SCX10 ii comes and the same for AxialRacing.com, in the products tab it says SCX10 but shows the SCX10 ii, I have 2 SCX10's one is a old school Legacy one that came with the 50's Chevy/GMC truck body and the silver bead locks with green bead lock rings the 2nd one has the Silver Honcho body and original rear cage, I guess I will have to look in the Legacy section and see if they are there
kgb424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2019, 07:22 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Is the SCX10 now a Dinasour

Yes...

That said they are very capable compared to the newer scx10II. Advantage is though the steering angle, High pinion, and gear ratio. The 10II axles are very superior imo. The chassis and old trans is compatable though you will have to do a Cms on the old chassis
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:49 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Agreed, they are still decent. I was in no hurry to pick up a II, my v1 was set up so well and had so much invested I didn't see the point. In fact, I've had a V2, and have since sold it. Still have my v1 though. More for nostalgia really, but I still run it once in a while and it still keeps up just fine.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:37 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

They're a little dated, mine has been going for almost 10 years though and it's still capable. The 10.2 axles look so much better though
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:19 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Unless you are a hard core scale comp guy, the v1 SCX10 is fine.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:32 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

A well setup SCX10 is still going to be a good performing vehicle and a simple axle swap will bring it into the modern age.

The big thing about the OG SCX10 platform is the aftermarket support is quickly fading and we all know how much aftermarket help it needs.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:19 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
we all know how much aftermarket help it needs.
Truth! I sold my neighbor one of my scx10s and I couldn’t find any bulletproof
Cvds. I use vanquish vvd and they never break. Not in stock anymore. I did find RC4WD CVDs, a guy in our comp club told me they’re great.

Point is parts will probably continue to dry up. But realIstically the easy change would be to pick up a set of scx2 axles and make them work on your old truck. The rest of it is mostly similar.
hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:36 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
A well setup SCX10 is still going to be a good performing vehicle and a simple axle swap will bring it into the modern age.

The big thing about the OG SCX10 platform is the aftermarket support is quickly fading and we all know how much aftermarket help it needs.
X2, mine was super capable when I sold it, but I had a lot of tuning into it. Kinda miss it for nostalgia sake sometimes.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:19 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibbs View Post
Truth! I sold my neighbor one of my scx10s and I couldn’t find any bulletproof
Cvds. I use vanquish vvd and they never break. Not in stock anymore. I did find RC4WD CVDs, a guy in our comp club told me they’re great.

Point is parts will probably continue to dry up. But realIstically the easy change would be to pick up a set of scx2 axles and make them work on your old truck. The rest of it is mostly similar.
This is what made me swap axles. My big Bronco (Vertigo) with brushless power and 2.2"s would snap cvd pins at the most inconvenient times. Usually 3-4 miles up the trail. 10 extra pounds on your backpack is not fun.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:14 AM   #10

When you guys say parts drying up what parts do you mean? I just broke a chub (finally after 5 years) and there's parts all over Ebay. Should I be buying up spares? I will build a newer rig eventually but don't plan on getting rid of this old thing my son loves it
Jethro nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:18 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro nz View Post
When you guys say parts drying up what parts do you mean? I just broke a chub (finally after 5 years) and there's parts all over Ebay. Should I be buying up spares? I will build a newer rig eventually but don't plan on getting rid of this old thing my son loves it
The aftermarket parts are the ones going away right now. If you go back to SCX10 build threads from 5 years ago, a lot of those good parts from the popular manufacturers have been discontinued. Axial still has stock parts available, Hot Racing still has a bunch of stuff available, and there is a whole lot of generic aluminum parts on eBay. There is plenty out there to keep a SCX10 running, just majority is the low end stuff (which is usually good enough for a spare/kids truck).
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:30 AM   #12

Quote:
The aftermarket parts are the ones going away right now. If you go back to SCX10 build threads from 5 years ago, a lot of those good parts from the popular manufacturers have been discontinued. Axial still has stock parts available, Hot Racing still has a bunch of stuff available, and there is a whole lot of generic aluminum parts on eBay. There is plenty out there to keep a SCX10 running, just majority is the low end stuff (which is usually good enough for a spare/kids truck).
Ahh yeah I'm getting ya now that's why I couldn't find a cheapish extra steering set up its vanquish or nothing. Also noticed those nice ssd d60 housings are not everywhere now.

Thanks for the reply hopfully the generic china alloy holds up ok. Perhaps a ar44 swap is the best bet for the future
Jethro nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:33 PM   #13

Yes, but some people love dinosaurs.

Is it going to be a competitive truck? No. But will you be left in the dust like it was ancient? I doubt it.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:26 PM   #14
RCC Addict

A built SCX10 can still hang pretty well. I personally would not spend much money modifying one at this point though. The AR44 axles are much better..
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #15

They are still going for a good chunk of money on E-bay...
braytonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:48 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I had a gen 1 Deadbolt, that I figured wouldn't really sell. So I converted it to IFS and made a fun project out of it. Wasn't sure what else to do with it honestly.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:11 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I had a case of burnout when I was running Wraiths with my kid. Got sick of swapping parts, doing this or that.
Well.... I bought a SCX10 v1 at that time and never used it. G6 Falken Rubicon, NIB to this day. Well out of the box and did a body for it and I have a CMS swap for it. Got Ti links too. And wheels. And shocks lol. Anyway I will keep it new and run other stuff... I'm weird.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...a.jpg~original
Maxxamillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:16 PM   #18

I've done a few upgrades on my OG SCX10, stretching the wheel base .5", savox steering servo and aluminum horn, the esc/motor from my Losi Night Crawler, and 120mm shocks with the extended shock mounts that are setup to have the ride height as close to stock as possible but so much droop. It handles great and is on par with my modded TRX4 so it's hard to justify getting rid of it.
01f1502wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:28 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

If I had one, I wouldn't sell it and if I didn't, I wouldn't buy it
nzrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:05 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I love Dinosaurs
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Is the SCX10 now a Dinasour - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial SCX10 ll, SCX10, Gmade Sawback 4LS, Vaterra Ascender K5 From Malaysia. RCWin Videos! 2 12-01-2016 08:23 AM
Newbie. Ordered CRC ScX10 rtr and SCX10 jeep kit. Mattdaddy1974 Axial SCX-10 15 07-11-2015 02:50 PM