Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Best scx10 Axle/Housing Upgrade and trans upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2019, 05:27 AM   #1

Default Best scx10 Axle/Housing Upgrade and trans upgrade

Whats everyones opinion on the best complete diff assembly to put under a scx10 currently have ebay spec cnc steel units but the pumpiks are hugeeee so going to chuck them on my sons crawler and upgrade mine, i also have a trx4 blazer so im not convinced that portals are the best option as the scx10 with the current mods keeps up no worries but occasionally diffs out but atleast it doesnt fall over every which way without 30 kilos of brass thrown at it lol.

Also would like to get a new trans i have an ax2 that i just ripped out and put a cheap ass center one from ebay in that i had spare, the ax2 in my opinion is garbage ive messed around with different spurs/pinions, motor from 27t too 50t and its never a happy medium like the gearing in the trx4. Its either bloody slow and cant drag itself up onto things or in second gear and doesnt have enough ooomph this is on 3s aswell

so fire away guys an girls keen for all your input, im still pretty new to all of this so be kind haha

Rav3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Best scx10 Axle/Housing Upgrade and trans upgrade

The first question is: What's your budget?

Regardless of that, I'd say this is the perfect opportunity to switch over to 10.2 style axles. Which specific ones will depend on your budget.

As a good middle ground, SSD's complete AR44's are a good bet and will set you back $170-$200 depending on if you can catch them on sale. Like most AR44's, they come set up to run CMS, but if you prefer your servo mounted to the axle, many vendors (BPC, UCFab, Hot Racing, Xtra Speed, etc.) make a bracket for that.

Cheaper would be any of the ebay/amazon specials, which seem to run $100-$140 for the set, but you take your chances on quality. I've had good luck with an Xtra Speed rear AR44, but my experience has been that ALL of the no-name front axle shafts have been absolute junk, so I'd just plan on needing to buy better shafts, which puts you right back at the cost of the SSD axles.

More expensive options would include Dlux fab's XR width axles with SSD center sections and 8mm shafts (will set you back about $500 for the set, but you will need to upgrade NOTHING down the road) or something like Vanquish Currie axles that are arguably the nicest looking, but you'll need to piece them together alacart and expect to spend as much/more than the Dlux axles.

As for the trans, I don't see a benefit in replacing your AX2 if it's in working order. If nothing else, treat it as a single speed and gear your pinion/spur to suit. I know the gear spread is pretty drastic, but more power and more rpm range can overcome that. A cheap swap to a 550 sized brushed motor may be enough to pull 2nd gear (almost 50% more power than a standard 540), otherwise going brushless could give you the wattage you need to pull it.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I always liked the looks of those Ottisix axle housings. OG SCX10 parts are getting scarce.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:46 PM   #4

Awesome a bit of food for thought, yeah id like too stay away from ebay stuff this time around, the set i bought have been great but as you said can be hit and miss, defiantly want cms and ar44 style in the sense of smaller form factor, I'll research your thoughts on the ax2 I did search the forums to see if anyone had managed an ideal setup but couldn't find anything solid, I was thinking forward motor mount with a more scale trans though
Old 09-03-2019, 07:15 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I have the ax2 in one of my rigs.... First gear, geared 10/60, 3000kv 4 pole brushless on 3s, gave me the same speed as my stockish honcho on 3s and 35t brushed. High gear was double that, fast for a crawler... about 12-15mph. (guesstimate based on stock brushed Slash)

Fun in snow and sand. And never ran out of power in climbs, though my batteries did sag pretty hard.

As far as housings, I chose to go to Scx10II axles. The high pinion, lower gearing, better steering angles and universals kinda sealed the deal.

I bought stock Axial complete axles for $67 each. If I were to do it again, I would buy the SSD complete axles.

I have had 0 issues with the stock axles.

Last edited by lonleycreeper; 09-03-2019 at 07:17 PM.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:24 PM   #6

Awesome thanks for that, don't know a hell of a lot about brushless setups other than reading they are less desirable for crawlers what setup are you using? How does it perform vs stock or upgraded brushed on low speed crawling?

Currently mine has a Holmes hobbies 35t and hobbywing 1080 in it,

So if I go the ssd axle set would over/under drive be something too go at the same time and would I just over/under the rear?

Thanks
Old 09-03-2019, 08:14 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

All my 10II's are stock gear ratio. As far as I know only SSD and Hot racing make overdrive gear sets for the front.

I am using a sensorless setup and actually bought the ax2 to gear the truck down dramatically to lower the startup speed. It worked a treat, and though not as smooth as brushed it was acceptable for my trail trucks.

For ultimate smoothness, look into a Sensored system, my 3100 roc 412 and rx8 were nearly as smooth as my brushed setup, with about 2x the wheelspeed and power.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:20 AM   #8

ok so what im thinking because ive just bought the hobbywing 1080 id go with the holmes hobbies 27t or 21t(might be pushing it??) pro 550 motor coupled to the ax2 trans not sure on spur/pinion sizes though and that should give it the kick it needs, grab the ssd diffs and run around 6%ish (open to input) underdrive in the rear and then ill choose my next body and get painting haha.........thoughts?

oh also any particular driveshafts everyone swears by? Ebay junk is really junk

Thanks for everyones input so far
Old 09-04-2019, 08:23 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I bumped up to 13/60 on my ax2 for a 27t brushed, to make low gear a bit more useable.
For driveshafts, I have not had issues with the Wild boars that come o the Scx10.... My big heavy Bronco has Mip's under it.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:46 PM   #10

Ok after much thought about how much I was going to invest in this one I've decided to just give it a service and pass it too my son instead of buying him a remo hobby honcho copy, and im going to buy the hpi venture builders kit and build that with a hard body now that we are heading towards trail walking/hiking I'm going to run the 1080 for esc not sure what motor I should go with though any thoughts? And what steering servo would everyone recommend will probably start a new thread later I want to do this properly though without breaking the bank to much
Old 09-07-2019, 09:47 PM   #11

Or should I wait until the 12th for axial new products too launch and go from there haha

Best scx10 Axle/Housing Upgrade and trans upgrade - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial SCX10 Falken Wrangler axle upgrade Harry Tzouvelis Axial SCX-10 2 11-29-2016 01:41 AM
BluemonkeyRC SCX10 Steering Axle Upgrade Kit Fourth Protocol Axial SCX-10 2 03-03-2016 05:28 PM
Whats a good upgrade trans for the scx10 213inc Axial SCX-10 5 10-11-2014 12:34 PM
RSMC Trans Upgrade??? 89redranger Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 4 07-11-2013 08:34 AM