Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SSD D60 Axle Broken!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2020, 08:27 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default SSD D60 Axle Broken!

Hey guys, while I was doing a install of a new locker in my narrow XR mod SSD D60 Front housing. I found that I had cracked the housing where the tubes meet the differential at some point. One side is cracked almost all the way around the tube. The other side is only cracked in one spot. Since the SSD axles are no longer available I'm trying to come up with a solution to fix it or replace it. Is there other aftermarket housings that will still use the same internals? And be able to have the XR mod? I really don't want to go back to stock housings.

I was thinking of trying to repair it by cutting the tubes the rest of the way off and using some type of JB weld type of adhesive. To adhere the brass XR mod inserts to the diff housing and tubes. The dilemma there is that I would be trying to adhere plastic to brass. From my research there's not many adhesives that will adhere to both materials. The only one I have found that might meet the requirements of structural integrity, flexibility and good bond is permabond ET510. Any of you guys have experience with this product? Any thoughts, help and/or advice is very much appreciated.
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2020, 12:36 PM   #2
Hal
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: SSD D60 Axle Broken!

I have used Durabond where I work for many difficult to bond materials, like glass to stainless steel. The one big thing I found is it MUST be very clean. It also helps if is a little bit rougher surface. You might want to try sanding a little bit to give it some tooth. I am not sure if it will bond to the plastic though. There is some epoxy made just for plastic that may work better. Hope this helps, good luck.
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:58 PM   #3
RCC Addict

So today I was trying to shoot a video of this rig. Tree Challenge video... The JB weld held up until today. It was a pretty hard hit tho. Now I might have to try to buy a new housing. Going to 10-2 axles and CMS is a bit more then I can throw at my rig right now. I'll figure something out.

Here's the video
Old 04-16-2021, 06:28 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

If CMS is the main hurdle there are servo on axle mounts for the SCX10.2 axles.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:00 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Wow! How high up were you? My guess is around 15 ft?
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:57 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
If CMS is the main hurdle there are servo on axle mounts for the SCX10.2 axles.

I was looking at that too. Didn't know if the clearance between the chassis rails would be ok. Guess I need to do some more research. Have a set of Trx axles sitting here. Don't know if they'd work. Just got the front axle out to look it over. Seems like it broke right where it was cracked before. The epoxy (wasn't JB weld) didn't hold up to the shock of the slam. Might try to redo it with a different adhesive until I can get some different axles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmeow View Post
Wow! How high up were you? My guess is around 15 ft?
I would say it was between 15'-20'. Some great trees out there. Shoulda saved that one for last LMAO!
Old 04-17-2021, 01:12 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Soo..... I couldn't leave it alone.

1 Tenth RC makes a SOA mount for these axles that looks like it may work out. Then I don't have to mess with CMS set-up and tune. What do you guys think?
Only things I can think of that I would have to do would be some new links and the SOA mount.

SSD D60 Axle Broken! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any use the SSD D60 axle? Oxide80 Axial Yeti 19 11-24-2018 07:12 PM
SSD D60 axle question Truckmechanic304 Axial SCX-10 6 05-28-2016 02:13 PM
New SSD Rear Axle Shafts for D60 Wide Axle (XR) SSD Axial SCX-10 0 05-17-2016 10:51 AM
Offset SSD D60 axle ctrwannabe General Crawlers 18 04-07-2016 08:58 PM