Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Anyone Use Vader Products Flat Skid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2020, 11:11 PM   #1

Default Anyone Use Vader Products Flat Skid?

I’m looking for Feedback on the Vader Products Flat Skid Plate.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/vader-p...rscx10/p698753

I’d like to order one for my SCX10 but was curious if it would change pinion angle, or cause upper/lower link interference. Basically looking for some opinions on overall thoughts, Performance...etc.
jwag1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2020, 05:20 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Anyone Use Vader Products Flat Skid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwag1973 View Post

I’d like to order one for my SCX10 but was curious if it would change pinion angle, or cause upper/lower link interference. Basically looking for some opinions on overall thoughts, Performance...etc.
I use it. Yes to all of the above.
The gearbox is raised slightly, so the angle does change. It gives the motor a bit more space from the frame rail, which is good.

Prepare to fiddle around with the links, because they must be fine tuned. And beware (if I remember correctly), standard rod ends won't fit. You need a traxxas one, which has narrower rod end balls.

I think I even had to use the axial bent rod ends on the upper links, to avoid interference.

If you are prepared to do some fine tuning, you'll be happy with it. It is very smooth, sturdy and.. raised. It almost feels like glass to the touch.

So I definitely recommend it if you fine tune it. And I definitely don't recommend it as a straight fit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited by tjohanne; 05-18-2020 at 05:29 PM.
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohanne View Post
I use it. Yes to all of the above.
The gearbox is raised slightly, so the angle does change. It gives the motor a bit more space from the frame rail, which is good.

Prepare to fiddle around with the links, because they must be fine tuned. And beware (if I remember correctly), standard rod ends won't fit. You need a traxxas one, which has narrower rod end balls.

I think I even had to use the axial bent rod ends on the upper links, to avoid interference.

If you are prepared to do some fine tuning, you'll be happy with it. It is very smooth, sturdy and.. raised. It almost feels like glass to the touch.

So I definitely recommend it if you fine tune it. And I definitely don't recommend it as a straight fit.

I appreciate the feedback! I’m gonna buy one and see what I can gain performance wise.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:04 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I've got one on my TCS X-Trail build. I really like it... but can't say how it compares to the scx skid, since I'm coming from an AX10 skid.

I used the original ax10 rod ends, as well as traxxas rod ends for 4mm links. I think I might have shaved the very corner of it LIGHTLY with a knife for angle, but not for the ball width... nothing major at all, just barely a nip. And could probably be worked around by using an offset link end.

I love the sunk in link screws. Great way to center up the lower links, as well as leave them attached to the skid while removing the chassis screws. FYI, they are the same 3mm set screws that are in the end of the links. You screw them all the way buried down into the skid, then use another 3mm screw to mount your chassis in to that same hole.

I've got a couple up close pics here...
Chevy42083 Project: Never Too Late

Last edited by chevy42083; 05-22-2020 at 10:26 AM.
chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
I've got one on my TCS X-Trail build. I really like it... but can't say how it compares to the scx skid, since I'm coming from an AX10 skid.

I used the original ax10 rod ends, as well as traxxas rod ends for 4mm links. I think I might have shaved the very corner of it LIGHTLY with a knife for angle, but not for the ball width... nothing major at all, just barely a nip.

I love the sunk in link screws. Great way to center up the lower links, as well as leave them attached to the skid while removing the chassis screws. FYI, they are the same 3mm set screws that are in the end of the links. You screw them all the way buried down into the skid, then use another 3mm screw to mount your chassis in to that same hole.

I've got a couple up close pics here...
Chevy42083 Project: Never Too Late
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:29 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwag1973 View Post

Have you tried it yet? Any experiences so far?

tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Anyone Use Vader Products Flat Skid? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vader Products Gen 7 skid plate for Everest 10 install/fitment Smokin' Joe Redcat Crawlers 42 04-02-2021 08:19 AM
Vader 10.2 Skid saddlesore Axial SCX10 II 15 09-27-2018 09:57 PM
Vader Products transmission skid Rekreant Axial SCX10 II 13 08-18-2018 04:26 PM
What rod ends do ypu use on the vader skid for a gen7? Nobody79 Redcat Crawlers 7 04-24-2018 08:13 PM