Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Scx10 d90 questions..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2020, 02:05 PM   #1

Default Scx10 d90 questions..

So if been building a d90 from a scx10 honcho.. shortened the links and it was fine and then i went and did a stupid thing and put some scx10ii axles under it and now my link geometry is completely wrong.. i though these were pretty much the same but obviously the mounting points have changed my required link sizes.. I found the standard scx10ii link sizes online but what i really need are the required link sizes for the scx10ii with the d90 shell mounted... at least then j might be able to actually use the thing.

Any help appreciated
Clarkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2020, 02:48 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Scx10 d90 questions..

Scx10 skid and scx10ii axles under a d90 body?

If any of the links work for an upper or lower you can then extrapolate a length for the other and make them. Or if either of the sets are even close you should be able to come up with lengths all around and then make some.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:14 PM   #3

I'm not sure how to do that to be honest this is all a learning curve.. yes ebay aluminium version scx10ii axles I have fitted..they work and mounted fine I just need to get the links setup properly.. I purchased a link set also for the scx10ii..but hense j have gone for th4 d90 body they dont work and are all over the place..and as an added annoyance the kit came with 3 link at the front and I'm running 4 link all round.

What's the best way to work out the required links then. Let's just say none of them fit. How do you get to the proper required length number
Clarkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:50 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie View Post
I'm not sure how to do that to be honest this is all a learning curve.. yes ebay aluminium version scx10ii axles I have fitted..they work and mounted fine I just need to get the links setup properly.. I purchased a link set also for the scx10ii..but hense j have gone for th4 d90 body they dont work and are all over the place..and as an added annoyance the kit came with 3 link at the front and I'm running 4 link all round.

What's the best way to work out the required links then. Let's just say none of them fit. How do you get to the proper required length number
+1
Rinanode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 08:06 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Support the body on a block at the ride height you expect. Mark on the work surface with tape what the wheelbase should be. Install an upper and lower link to the skid. Center the skid up between the wheelbase marks and then slide an axle over a mark. Eye ball the links to their mount points and measure EYE TO EYE. You could back the link from the ball ends and then use a chopstick or shish kabob skewer in place of the link. Ball end on each end and cut to length.

I have made quite a few links and it is quite easy. Get some 5mm stainless rod. Get a m5 die. Get some Traxxas rod ends. With your eye to eye measurements at hand, measure how much will thread into the Traxxas rod end. And how much from end of rod inside to the ball eye. Subtract those lengths for each rod end from the total eye to eye length and then cut the 5mm rod to this length. Mark rod with amount to be screwed into rod end from previous measurement. Chuck cut rod into a cordless drill and then ‘drill’ it into the m5 die until mark is met. GO AS SLOW AS POSSIBLE. Thread both ends of rod and then install the rod ends. One link done. I like to do the long links first in case you make one too short it is easier to make it into a shorter link than a short link into a long link.

Sounds like a lot but it isn’t. I always keep a scrap piece of cardboard nearby and write all measurements on it so that they are a quick reference and easy to see. The rod can be cut with a decent pipe cutter and use the drill to roll it while clamping then cutter. I clamp my die in a small bench vise. My first few sets I used some clamping pliers and just stood on them. With the vise it’s easier. Shavings are not magnetic. Aluminum is more brittle to make threads on and it is not as resistant to bending. You would need a 6mm or 8mm rod to be strong enough then would need to cut it down to a m5 thread. Much harder to do without a lathe.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote

Scx10 d90 questions.. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gelande II D90 Build, questions. IppoJ 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 01-23-2017 12:45 PM
Questions for D90 SCX owners photocycler Axial SCX-10 2 12-29-2014 01:45 PM
D90 Questions Phins Fan General Crawlers 7 12-27-2014 02:32 AM
D90 vs SCX10 Herymet Newbie General 17 11-04-2014 10:29 PM
Hardbody D90 for SCX10 gameberries General Scale Talk 5 07-06-2014 06:33 AM