Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2020, 06:46 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default New here

Just placed an order for a SCX10 ii figured I’d join a forum since I don’t have Facebook. I’m Austin from central/western Indiana. Had an emaxx years ago so I’m not a total newb. Still have my duratrax intellipeak and a pair of their 4200mah 6 cells from it I’m gonna try in this axial before I buy new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austin-92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2020, 07:00 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New here

Welcome.

Which SCX10.2? RTR? Kit? Got any plans in mind?

The crawling is by far the most addictive for me. So many directions you can take a build.
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:00 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-92 View Post
Just placed an order for a SCX10 ii figured I’d join a forum since I don’t have Facebook. I’m Austin from central/western Indiana. Had an emaxx years ago so I’m not a total newb. Still have my duratrax intellipeak and a pair of their 4200mah 6 cells from it I’m gonna try in this axial before I buy new.

Welcome .. your absolutely gonna hate the scx with those batteries

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
aiden102408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:08 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fox2go View Post
Welcome.

Which SCX10.2? RTR? Kit? Got any plans in mind?

The crawling is by far the most addictive for me. So many directions you can take a build.

10.2 rtr. Hoping I can keep it off the work bench and out in woods. I’m the kinda person that can’t leave well enough alone so I’m sure I’ll find a way to dump money in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiden102408 View Post
Welcome .. your absolutely gonna hate the scx with those batteries

Why do you say that? I can swap later, it was just nice having those laying around to help with start up cost

Old 08-03-2020, 07:17 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Welcome Austin!

A lot of people trash on the stock setup, and say anything but the latest and greatest is trash. I am one to see how far stock will go and then upgrade as needed.

The 4200 nimh batteries will give you enough wheel speed and run time to make progress on a trail, but doesn't have the the energy density of a lipo pack. My old 4200 nimh's would get me about as far as my current 2200 lipo packs, just to give you an idea. I also run 3s or 12.4 volts in my stock Honcho without any ill effects. I do run small tires though.

My advise for anyone new to crawling is to run your rig first, then decide on what you need to change.

Btw, I would not be suprised if your nimh packs were dead.

Trail Honcho, For Trailing
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:18 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The difference with LiPo batteries is night and day. Really you can land a 5000mah 2s LiPo for around $25. Of course your charger needs to be able to charge LiPo so that may add into your initial cost. But once you make the switch you wont go back...not even to let your friends use...
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:19 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
10.2 rtr. Hoping I can keep it off the work bench and out in woods. I’m the kinda person that can’t leave well enough alone so I’m sure I’ll find a way to dump money in it.

Why do you say that? I can swap later, it was just nice having those laying around to help with start up cost

Wasn't saying it to be a dick ..

aiden102408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:07 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Welcome Austin!

A lot of people trash on the stock setup, and say anything but the latest and greatest is trash. I am one to see how far stock will go and then upgrade as needed.

The 4200 nimh batteries will give you enough wheel speed and run time to make progress on a trail, but doesn't have the the energy density of a lipo pack. My old 4200 nimh's would get me about as far as my current 2200 lipo packs, just to give you an idea. I also run 3s or 12.4 volts in my stock Honcho without any ill effects. I do run small tires though.

My advise for anyone new to crawling is to run your rig first, then decide on what you need to change.

Btw, I would not be suprised if your nimh packs were dead.

Trail Honcho, For Trailing

I didn’t take anything as trashing the rig. I’m the same way, I want to see what it can do and where it needs improvement before I buy anything. I’m sure I’ll enjoy it as is but I doubt it’ll stay stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiden102408 View Post
Wasn't saying it to be a dick ..

Didn’t take it that way, you’re fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fox2go View Post
The difference with LiPo batteries is night and day. Really you can land a 5000mah 2s LiPo for around $25. Of course your charger needs to be able to charge LiPo so that may add into your initial cost. But once you make the switch you wont go back...not even to let your friends use...

I’m sure I’ll get some eventually, just nice not having to buy them upfront. Well if mine aren’t dead... lol I do know I stored them charged, I put them on the charger last night and it only ran for like 15 minutes. Need to put a multimeter on them and see what voltage they’re holding.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:12 PM   #9

Welcome to the site! Good choice for your first truck because it's very capable.

The NiMH batteries are just old technology and don't have the power density of LiPo batteries. Just as a quick example, a 5000mAh NiMH battery will give you about 15 minutes run time out of a fast RC whereas a LiPo will give you about an hour.

NiMH will work fine to start as long as you can still charge them. If you don't like the run times of the NiMH batteries, you can always upgrade to the LiPo batteries and charger.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:46 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I'm in a similar boat. My son got excited seeing the old RC cars in the basement and wanted to get going with them. I picked up a few SCX24, so he'd have a RTR while I got the older SCX10 working again. I had NiMH batteries from 11 years ago when I last ran it and had hoped to reuse..... 11 years of non-use makes those batteries no go.

LiPos are much better. They make the difference of NiMH vs NiCad look like nothing. Considering my first car was a Tamiya Frog when they first came out and had only a 3 position mechanical speed control with resistors and 72Mhz with discreet crystals per channel for the radio (radio impound/channel management was a must have back then), there has been a tremendous amount of progress over the years. While ESCs were around when I last did RC, the past 10 years has had huge improvements between brushless motors and LiPos.
nielsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:01 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Is there a general consensus on what batteries/charger everyone here prefers? Both those nimh of mine tested 8.5v a few hours after they came off the charger but I think I’m gonna go ahead with everyone’s recommendations here to get LiPo’s. Should get the truck tomorrow!

Old 08-10-2020, 08:11 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Is there a general consensus on what batteries/charger everyone here prefers? Both those nimh of mine tested 8.5v a few hours after they came off the charger but I think I’m gonna go ahead with everyone’s recommendations here to get LiPo’s. Should get the truck tomorrow!

I like running 2200mah 3s 30c venom flight packs... In a brushed crawler, read stock Honcho, I get 1.5-2 hours of run time and they are only 6 oz.

I also have the Venom Duo pro... 2x packs charged at the same time on seperate channels, though it only charges up to 6 amps per.

Last edited by lonleycreeper; 08-10-2020 at 08:30 PM.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote