Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Phildirt’s Jeep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2020, 10:16 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Phildirt’s Jeep

I just gave my brother a bunch of parts from the gen 1 Scx10. He is building it from scratch. It is a good rig to tinker with and actually performs rather well with a good set up. Link geometry is decent but not optimum. And gearing options are excellent, with Under drive gears available, as are stock gearing, and Over drive. Basically 3 gear options for the axle. I personally like a 35t motor on 3s, but I have always ran in muddy and wetter conditions. Now that I have moved into south west Idaho, I think a Outrunner brushless will be next, on 3s. I like having the extra wheel speed to launch the truck up and over some stuff, but still have the control to crawl most.

It kinda suprises me to see Hyrax tires on there when there are so many good true scale licenced tires out there. Top contenders are Proline Tsl's, and Bfg Krawlers, Pitbull Rock Beasts, and Rc4wd Good year Mtr's.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2020, 01:04 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
I just gave my brother a bunch of parts from the gen 1 Scx10. He is building it from scratch. It is a good rig to tinker with and actually performs rather well with a good set up. Link geometry is decent but not optimum. And gearing options are excellent, with Under drive gears available, as are stock gearing, and Over drive. Basically 3 gear options for the axle. I personally like a 35t motor on 3s, but I have always ran in muddy and wetter conditions. Now that I have moved into south west Idaho, I think a Outrunner brushless will be next, on 3s. I like having the extra wheel speed to launch the truck up and over some stuff, but still have the control to crawl most.

It kinda suprises me to see Hyrax tires on there when there are so many good true scale licenced tires out there. Top contenders are Proline Tsl's, and Bfg Krawlers, Pitbull Rock Beasts, and Rc4wd Good year Mtr's.
Thanks for the feedback. Cheap tires until I figure out what I’m doing with this thing...these were like $5 each (they aren’t even hyrax, some Chinesium knockoffs) so good placeholders while I focus on other things. It has a 12t 550 Traxxus motor that I will eventually replace with something a little slower. I am eyeballing the Losi Rock Rey so this one will be a backup I think. Don’t see dumping a lot of coin into it since there are so many better options out now. It’s fun to bomb around in though.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:26 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Took this thing apart today. Have figured out that none of the electronics are from the kit, it’s so old they are probably just parts whoever has had it slapped in it as things broke. I am going to update a few things. I want a slower motor so researching that. I think I like the factory gearing. May upgrade links. While I had it apart I blew out and lubed the motor. I also painted it to make it “mine”. Being in Jax I went with a Jags theme sort of. I cleaned it up quite a bit, will be easier to tell if parts are wearing/breaking if it’s not a mess I think. I cut down the cage and gave it a sort of gladiator look.

Old 09-07-2020, 07:29 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Decided I am not a fan of all of the little accessories, they stress me out so stripped it back down to the basics. Looks cleaner I think and less crap jangling around while I wheel it. I’m going to paint the faux spot lights yellow and hand letter the KC logo on them.

Old 09-07-2020, 07:32 PM   #25
RCC Addict

A better view of the cage. I coated it, the top, and the fenders with bed liner so it should hold up well. The teal paint is satin Krylon.

Old 09-07-2020, 07:35 PM   #26
RCC Addict

The more I look at kits the harder it is to decide what I want to buy or build. I am leaning towards a builder kit but would probably be just as happy with a r2r. I want something that fits on the trail, can crawl, but is also able to hop/race/bash without getting destroyed. The Losi Rock Rey is on my list, if I could find an already upgraded bomber, Capra, or wraith I would not be opposed to one of them. Cheers
Old 09-07-2020, 07:48 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Sounds like somebody needs multiple rigs already.

Just had a chance to drive a scx10 for the first time, I was surprised at how well it did considering it’s “outdated”.

I like what you’ve done with yours.
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:24 AM   #28
RCC Addict

Still poking. I read through the whole SCX10 tricks/tips thread- there is an upside to running an outdated rig: it has been analyzed, tweaked, and upgraded for so long that there is a wealth of knowledge. I’m going through the ‘free’ mods. So far I have:

Cut down and flipped the sliders s they are sliders and not out of scale steps-should improve clearance, they were high centering

Mounted the front bumper closer (directly to winch plate) to increase approach angle (I couldn’t climb anything steeper than a curb)

Cut the bumper ends off (front tires rubbing at full lock and during flex)

Removed shock limits/bump stops

Moved rear shock towers inward to decrease ride height and help with angle at full droop (also relocated body mounts to compensate)

Relocated battery

These are all things that took a little time but the sum of them equal a little more capable rig for zero dollars. Next up will be cheap mods (DIY link upgrade, new motor, upgrade servo).

The thing that bugs me most about this rig as it sits is the front pinion angle, I I think I can fix that by playing around with rod lengths on the links.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:25 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Also messed with the appearance (again!) to go with a weathered look.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:28 AM   #30
RCC Addict

I am going to lower the body back down a bit and see if it rubs, want to hide the Component boxes a little better and give it more of a low slung stock crawler look. Daydreaming about fender cuts and 2.2 tires but just going to wheel it for a few weeks first.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:16 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Body is as low as it can go. Whacked the fenders and channeled it to get it bottomed out. Lower cg, zero rubbing. I’d do this to a 1:1 all day so why not an RC lol.

Old 09-11-2020, 10:18 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Pretty darn good articulation

Old 09-11-2020, 10:19 AM   #33
RCC Addict

Stuffed. Can’t wait to beta test...going out tomorrow with the kid to see what we can do.

Old 09-18-2020, 08:27 AM   #34
RCC Addict

Second lengthy crawling session. Ripped off the kit bumper last time around so welded this one up and some metal sliders while I was at it. Found a neat little spot to run with some scale sized boulders. Pretty good range from easy to impossible and fun to pick lines. I’m not afraid to scratch it up so I had at it.

Old 09-18-2020, 08:29 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Not sure how you could run these tires with fenders

Old 09-18-2020, 08:34 AM   #36
RCC Addict

Wheeled until something else broke...it quit moving but motor was spinning so threw it on the bench when I got home. Not sure what the part is called but the gear on the motor output shaft had slipped and disengaged...pushed it back in place and tightened the set screw, done...

Ordered a 55t motor last night, this 12t is ridiculous for crawling, it would be better suited for bouncing or just doing donuts.

I also took the axles out, inspected the diffs, packed everything in fresh grease, inspected the knuckles and did the same. It’s in pretty good shape for its age.

Cheers
Old 09-18-2020, 10:52 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
Wheeled until something else broke...it quit moving but motor was spinning so threw it on the bench when I got home. Not sure what the part is called but the gear on the motor output shaft had slipped and disengaged...pushed it back in place and tightened the set screw, done...

Ordered a 55t motor last night, this 12t is ridiculous for crawling, it would be better suited for bouncing or just doing donuts.

I also took the axles out, inspected the diffs, packed everything in fresh grease, inspected the knuckles and did the same. It’s in pretty good shape for its age.

Cheers
That would be a pinion gear. The spur will be the larger plastic gear it is connected to. A little blue loctite will keep that from happening in the future. I find 55t mtors are too slow, but 35t is a good balance between wheelspeed and runtime.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:30 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Thanks for the feedback. A quick test run on the garage floor says I like the 55t MUCH better than the 12t, no more acrobatics. I’ll see if I like this one, if not I will upgrade, easy enough to swap. I’m going to completely re wire this thing when I do that. I just went with the el cheapo Axial motor until I figure out which speed suits me. I did some forum searching and did the paper through the gears thing, I think I have the mesh just loose enough.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:34 PM   #39
RCC Addict

I also made some simulated scale dents and will post some shots tomorrow, taking the kid out to test the latest round of tinkering. I did it real subtle, from the pics I saw when I was figuring it out some folks are heavy handed with it. Just a couple small dents on each side.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:02 PM   #40
RCC Addict

Took me all of 10 mins to realize the 55t was a mistake. So I went to a hobby store because I’m tired of guessing and Amazoning...got what I believe is expert advice. I told the guy my budget, goals for this truck, and he hooked me up. Will buy my RTR there later this year. Was drooling over the Element Trailwalker...so cool to see all of them in person, pics don’t do justice. Anyways he set me up with a 35t motor, new esc, transmitter/receiver. Here’s where I started, an absolute mess of wiring and odd placement.

Phildirt’s Jeep - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JEEP - #001 - Jeep Wrangler trial run with the D110 support vehicle JoeConti Videos! 0 01-18-2017 12:39 PM
Jeep hits Jeep, sends over bridge gaurdrail, and lands in tree. STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 8 04-01-2016 02:53 PM
Rigs I've built this summer Half Cab Bronco,Jeep,Jeep, Sammy madscrambler 1.9 Scale Rigs 3 09-21-2010 11:38 PM