Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Phildirt’s Jeep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2020, 07:32 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Phildirt’s Jeep

New to this, lifelong scale model builder. Picked this up in a trade, figured it’s somewhere to start. Sold my 1:1 rig and decided this may be cheaper but just as fun. Anyways I think this is a 2012 Rubicon that is missing its top. I got controllers but need a battery/charger. Just posting as a starting point because I know I won’t leave it alone. Immediate plans are going through it to make sure it’s ready to run, then cosmetic changes for more realism, then upgrades as I find out what limitations it has. Any advice on what to look at before I run it or what a good noob battery setup works would be greatly appreciated.

I removed all of the decals and washed the body. Washed the suspension components last night and will lubricate what I can see today.

Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2020, 11:24 AM   #2
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: Phildirt’s Jeep

Welcome! Sounds like a good new hobby for you if you’re into scale models. The scale rabbit hole can get deep worn these trucks.

She looks clean
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 01:24 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Cleaned up the chassis, greased everything I could without taking it apart since I don’t know what all I can break yet.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:29 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Old 08-29-2020, 01:39 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Bear with me here I bet u all get a kick out of scale model guys trying to convert to RC...but had to change a few things. Fresh coat of flat black on the fenders, painted the interior flat black because the silver looked ridiculous. Fab bed up some cosmetic lights that will be changed later for working ones. Will probably get ripped off the first time I wheel it too lol.

Old 08-29-2020, 01:41 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Made some lights for the roof rack too.

Old 08-29-2020, 01:44 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Much better . Next up is a battery lol. I have a 2s 2-pack, lipo charger, and new tires in my Amazon cart. Went with a decent charger so I’m not doing things twice.

Old 08-30-2020, 09:36 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Ordered some knockoff Hyrax tires, shock oil, batteries, and charger last night. Taking the bump stops out of the shocks when I reassemble them. Will flip the drive shafts and raised the body a few notches since the new tires appear to be a hair larger than the stickers.

Plan is to play around with it as is for a few months and then maybe look at steering/links/axle upgrades and maybe some bead locks so I don’t have to mess with glue. I really like the look of the d44s, so much more realistic. Also plan on reading up on waterproofing, the guy I got this from said it is done but I don’t think that’s entirely accurate. Mostly for cleaning purposes and not driving it in creeks.

Also on my list is scouting a few cool places to rest it out. I live in Florida, not a lot of interesting terrain. Worst case scenario I’ll stack some rocks in my garden for testing
Old 08-30-2020, 01:24 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Welcome to the insanity lol, the original SCX10 platform is quite dated at this point but still a very capable rig. I have two of them still and enjoy them just as much as when they first came out!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:02 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I love it when modelers get into rc, Usually some epic builds...
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:46 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
Welcome to the insanity lol, the original SCX10 platform is quite dated at this point but still a very capable rig. I have two of them still and enjoy them just as much as when they first came out!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
What are the specs on the Jeep?
Old 09-01-2020, 05:18 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
What are the specs on the Jeep?
To be honest with you I can't remember all of it lol, it does have the discontinued SSD D60 axle housings, SSD CMS and panhard setup. Off the top of my head, it's got OD UD gears, CVD's, all metal trans., Pitbulls and I can't remember all what else, I bought it pretty much the way you see it other than CMS, I installed that.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:16 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Got batteries, 5200 MaH 2s and a balance charger. This thing rips. Did not think it would be so much fun. Did some more detailing. I like dirty/used so hit it with the airbrush. I made all the bits in/on the body. Enclosed it in the back.

Old 09-03-2020, 12:19 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Old 09-03-2020, 12:21 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Made the hi lift out of styrene and Google lol

Old 09-03-2020, 12:24 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Got new tires. They will be mounted on bead locks, those should be here tomorrow. The stock ones are toast and couldn’t get the tires off. Swapped out the shock oil, removed the bump stops, changed the body height and coilover angles. Should keep me happy for a bit.

Old 09-05-2020, 12:19 PM   #17
RCC Addict

This thing flexes pretty well. Got the bead locks and new tires. Looks beefy.

Old 09-05-2020, 12:24 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Round 2 for roof and lights...so I learned the hard (amusing) way that RC trucks are not scale models. Ran it for the first time (pics to follow) and ripped every single accessory off except the jack in 30 seconds. Did a donut and rolled it. Have to learn finesse. This thing flies with the 2s lipo. Expected ‘crawl’ and got more ‘prerunner’ lol. So everything is bolted down. Light bar is rubber mounted so it will bend not break.

Old 09-05-2020, 12:26 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Found a cool little spot near my house. Just enough to get dirty and learn I have no idea what I’m doing but I grinned the whole time. This was after I rippped the roof off lol.

Old 09-05-2020, 12:30 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Anyways, thanks for looking. I am aware now that the scx10 is very dated but this is the perfect entry level for me. Enough to tinker with but not worried about smashing it into rocks. Around Christmas I will start looking for deals and retire this one to my daughter, she loves it. I am looking at Redcat Windego or Camo, TRX4, and ScX10III. Once I figure out the speed I like to run most it will decide what I do, have not ruled out a Losi prerunner. Those 1:6 ones look rad.

Cheers

Phildirt’s Jeep - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JEEP - #001 - Jeep Wrangler trial run with the D110 support vehicle JoeConti Videos! 0 01-18-2017 12:39 PM
Jeep hits Jeep, sends over bridge gaurdrail, and lands in tree. STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 8 04-01-2016 02:53 PM
Rigs I've built this summer Half Cab Bronco,Jeep,Jeep, Sammy madscrambler 1.9 Scale Rigs 3 09-21-2010 11:38 PM