Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: OS's Spare Parts 6x6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2020, 03:52 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default OS's Spare Parts 6x6

Another spare parts build... Been playing Snowrunner fairly religiously since I got it, and it's got me thinking about a 6x6. I've been having a blast running the TRX6 and was thinking of something a little more capable.

So I went down and did some digging, cannabalized an older V1 SCX10, and ended up with a set of 6x6 rear axles. I used the V1 axles since are pretty easy to mod into pass throughs. They are an odd combo - rear has beef tubes and the pass through is 1/2 a Boom Phat housing and 1/2 Axial plastic. Both are filled with stock ratio gears and HR lockers, are pretty beefy, and spin like butter.

Chassis-wise, I went the easy route and picked up an Axial frame extension. I had my G6 truck chassis sitting here, already set up with a servo, Enduro trans and overdrive - seemed like a good start.

And after a lot of random link fitting and tweaking, sorta have a rolling chassis. I was going to use a V1 front axle, but had an Enduro front sitting here built with SSD knuckles, so on it went. Much better steering angles, and bolts right up the chassis CMS. It does have a 3.75 gear ratio though, so I'll have to add UD gears to the rear axles to match. Still won't be perfect, but the OD in the transmission should make up for it, and then some.

Trying out some tires....I kinda like the TRX size, but bigger tires like Mashers also fit. Looks badass to me! Will be using a Bullhead body as well....

Last edited by OSRC; 10-13-2020 at 03:57 PM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2020, 06:58 PM   #2
j0e
Rock Crawler

Default Re: OS's Spare Parts 6x6

Yeah, the mashers look pretty awesome on there!
j0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:12 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Can you see the pics? I got nothing... I know they are in there, I can see the links and tags in the text, but nothing shows up for me on either browser. Weird.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:54 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

No pics for me
I'm trying to use my imagination.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:21 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

No pics visible here either.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:48 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I see pics now
Old 10-14-2020, 06:37 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Boom - I see the pics... strange. Not that there's much to look at yet.... hunting down another pair of wheels and tires to match the sets I already have.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:34 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

This is turning into a fun little project. Supposed to be a winter build, but I'm picking at it here and there.

I didn't want shock towers poking out above the frame, so I was experimenting with some touring car shocks laid down... Worked out pretty well, I had an OK amount of travel and a nice flat deck.

But the body sitting at ride height was much higher than the chassis, which I never really noticed before, and it looked stupid.... so that was a total waste of time. I had to raise the chassis up a bit to match. I putzed around a bit and realized I could go back to the Axial shocks if I layed them down a bit. Much, much more travel

I used some L bracket to "raise the deck" a bit, and it worked out as a perfect place to mount the shocks. Gives a ton of rear travel, lines up better with the body, and kinda fills the the back of the truck a bit. I like it. I added a piece of ABS on top to tie it all together for now - not sure what I'm going to do back there yet. Really stiffens up the chassis too, it was kind of a wet noodle back there.

Still have to tweak the rear links...waiting until I get ride height sorted out.

Redid the steering with the drag link in front of the axle. I have lots of front caster, and it was just too tight behind the axle. It's up pretty high though, not really worried about it.

And some more mockup pics. I trimmed the sliders out to match the body, fudged up a few bumpers until I found on that looks ok, and mounted up a 3rd set of Moabs with another set of Axial 8 hole beadlocks I tracked down online. Still looking for some cheap Mashers, but these will do for now.

Definitely some Mudrunner flex!

Size-wise, she's a beast. Love the stance with the 5" 2.2's. Comparison pics with my Tamiya Dynahead and recent TRX project.

Last edited by OSRC; 10-20-2020 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:57 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

That is really a really nice build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:09 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Been a while since I updated this build... I've been busy with some other stuff but it's been in the back of my mind for a while now. Finally got a chance to do some work.

I had to make a major swap...the SCXv2 chassis and Enduro front axle just weren't going to work the way I wanted with the gearing out back, so I swapped in a SCXV1 chassis and front axle. I mean, it is a spare parts build! Lost a bit of steering, but at least now the front axle has a bit of OD instead of UD! Took a while to swap everything over, and had to re-flip the rear axles but it's pretty much back to a slider again.

Took off the rear chassis braces and did some trimming and holing. Not really sure what I'm going for here, but they certainly look better.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads here... I wanted a big, burly 2.2 truck though I had some 1.9 grunts here and the PL duallies from another build. Hmmm..... Still not decided which way I want to go yet. Leaning towards the 1.9's though I have to sort out the axle width issue. The front is standard but the rear is comically wide, and the 1.9's look kind of tiny in that front wheelwell. I picked these up for the Tonka TRX, but the rear width looked silly. Not sure if I want to invest in another 8 tires or not, but it has potential!

Old 01-17-2021, 09:26 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

To be honest, I’m liking the 2.2s on this rig.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 03:37 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Slowly making some progress on this monster... I'd like to get it complete just to get it off my workbench! It takes up a ton of room..

Did a little fab work this morning and whipped up a simple tray for the battery. Since I went back to a V1 chassis, I needed a low way to mount the battery. If anyone remembers, the stock V1 tray is way up there on the chassis over top the servo. Moving it down on the chassis rails was mod #1! The old tricks still hold true.

What's this? A 3S pack?? Yup, finally making the jump and investing in some 3S packs for some of my trucks. 2S gets me down the trail fine, but with brass everything now and bigger overall builds, some extra juice will be most welcome. Not sure what this behemoth weighs, but it's a tank.

Assembled the fuel tank and made a bracket to hang it out back behind the cab. Looks perfect back there, almost like it was made for it.

Made an aluminum cover to tie up the rear of the chassis... it's just mocked up for now, I have to shave it down, fine tune the fitment a bit and shoot it all with black eventually. Not sure what I want to do there yet, I'm leaning towards a 5th wheel just to have something there. I want to do some styrene work as well to clean up the rear body lines.

And made the switch to 1.9's... Saw the Carbine dually wheels and they looked absolutely perfect. Pretty slick how they go to together too. Rears have the narrow offset hub which tucks right over the SCX10 axles and the fronts have the wide offset so they don't look too out of whack in relation to the rears. The Grunts fit the wheels perfect and absolutely look the part. Really pleased at how it all came together, this truck has some serious stance.... I have the 2.2's on reserve but I'm glad I made the switch overall. Pricey gamble... $150 in tires and $120 in wheels.

Last edited by OSRC; 02-10-2021 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:28 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Did a bit of styrene work out back just cleaning up the old fuel tank mounts.. I suck at styrene, I just don't have the patience for it, so it's kinda straight. It'll all get sprayed black back there - hopefully it all blends in.

Shortened and cleaned up the wires a little bit. Pretty simple in here - simple is good! I'll be adding lights later on.

Painted the grill and added some goodies to the bumper. Ordered some acrylics to paint the body..it's either that or wait until spring to hit it with a can of paint. I've never tried them on a hard body, we'll see how they work out.
Old 02-12-2021, 06:18 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Damn, this is really looking great - it's a showcase for the Pro-line Carbines and Grunts!

The battery tray you made is nice enough to sell - nicer than some I've seen aftermarket, including one I've bought.

Can't wait to see it finished!

Strangely enough, I usually don't like Pro-line wheels - too pricey for what you get, but those are really nice and fill a niche, Boom Racing is the only other company that makes reasonably priced dually adaptors, and their wheels (while nice enough, I have a couple sets) wouldn't have quite the attitude the Carbines do.

Likewise their Grunt tires - I get a little bored with Pro-line tires - but the Grunts (and the new Trenchers) are very appealing.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 09:03 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Looks great! I love how you did the rear alloy partition with all the holes, somewhat of a signature move for you. The Dual dually setup looks odd imho.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:31 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Damn, this is really looking great - it's a showcase for the Pro-line Carbines and Grunts!

The battery tray you made is nice enough to sell - nicer than some I've seen aftermarket, including one I've bought.
Thanks, I don't think traction will be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
Looks great! I love how you did the rear alloy partition with all the holes, somewhat of a signature move for you. The Dual dually setup looks odd imho.
I always do speed holes.. easy way to remove weight without spending a ton of time filing and what not. And I think it looks cool. Everyone else is 3D printing and I'm still here with a drill press, jigsaw, a pile of files and random aluminum bits.

I will be swapping back and forth I think between the 2.2's and the 1.9's depending on where it runs. I still have this in the back of my mind...
Old 03-04-2021, 06:49 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I've been busy with some go fast projects, but tinkering with my scalers here and there when I have time. Finally got a coat of paint on this one....is that a light I see at the end of the tunnel?

Decided to go with "new" paint scheme... My TRX6 will get the weathering treatment. I used Createx so I could spray indoors without stinking up the house - really sprayed well. I mixed in about 20% polyurathane to toughen it up. Read up on getting it to stick to the plastic and the metal and did everything I could find, but I suspect this will not be the most durable paint job. I used their Blue Opaque and then covered it with satin poly. Came out almost purple... The black is also coved in satin - I really have my doubts about it sticking to the aluminum, we'll see how it holds up.

Detailed out the wheels a little... not sure I like it, I think I should have just left them black.

Giving it a few days to set, and then I'll add all the accessories. This truck will get a flatbed eventually... though for now I just want to get it done and get it dirty!
Old 03-12-2021, 06:13 AM   #18

Very nice 6x6 truck - i love it .

Would it be possible to measure the cabin from the back wall of the cabin to the front of the engine hood?
That would be great.

Thanks

Roland
rbspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:23 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

It is possible! I measure it at 245mm from the front of the grill to the rear of the cab.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:37 AM   #20

Great - thanks a lot.

I am currently also building a SCX10-1 based 6x6 and i will take your solution as a motivation for my project.

Regards Roland

Last edited by rbspeed; 03-13-2021 at 10:40 AM.
rbspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

OS's Spare Parts 6x6 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WPL, JJRC, MN and Fayee trucks: Models, spare parts, upgrade parts donaldsneffe General Scale Talk 242 02-28-2024 12:37 AM
FMS Atlas 6X6 spare battery? lightbg Micro Scale Rigs 4 11-05-2020 01:19 AM
Arnel's spare time, spare parts, JKing. Arnel HPI Wheely King 19 12-04-2013 11:36 AM
Spare time, spare parts... Karadjas Non Crawler RC's 8 09-24-2009 01:06 PM
spare parts,,spare tire rack,,, dezmoon Tamiya CR-01 4 09-10-2008 05:54 PM