Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Long Time Newb, scx10 recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2021, 02:16 PM   #1

Default Long Time Newb, scx10 recommendations

Hey folks,

Been “new” (read: uneducated) in the RC Crawler world for years now. Recently sold off my flashy trx6 and picked up a basically brand new, far more modest, SCX10 for $200. I’d like to switch my focus to function over form, which is to say, something I can take out to the rocks and crawl without breaking immediately. In addition to that, I’m looking to run 2s or 3s (or both) LiPo batteries.

Please give me recommendations, maybe in order of importance, as to where I should begin upgrades, why, and what work it entails. I appreciate all the input!

Talk to me like really, really stupid.

Thank you!

Some pictures:

RiotCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2021, 07:12 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Long Time Newb, scx10 recommendations

Wow nice looking rig. I still have a old original JK and a Honcho. Guess a lot depends on how much you want to spend and how hard you want to run your rig. That being said I am still running the almost all of the original factory parts. I upgraded steering servo to a slightly stronger all metal gear tactic 55 I think when factory one died and added a bec. This gave me much better steering but not enough strength to break the steering hubs or c hub. I also added the full axial aluminum link and steering kit. Moved the battery up front with a custom mount. That's really all I have done to that one and it still runs strong on a ae5 esc and a 45t motor with 3s. The stock shocks are ok but leak so I green slimed the o-rings and run 45-60 wt oil and that has worked pretty well. The Honcho is much more modded out and it actually breaks more frequently because its way overpowered. Honcho has a Hitec 400+ oz servo and breaks the c hubs and steering hubs on a regular basis.......decided to continue to run the plastic vs snapping the axle housing. Have RPM ones installed currently and they have held up for a while.

Here are a couple pics of each.

SCX10 JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 10:33 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

My best upgrade for anyone new is YOU.

Take your truck out and drive it. And drive it more.

It will soon be clear what you want to upgrade. I have run mild to wild, modest power to huge power. My favorite rigs tend to be the ones super close to stock.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 04:30 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

If you have dogbone axle shafts in the front axle, upgrade them to CVD shaft and switch to a 35T motor. These are the first two upgrades I would do.
rob5059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:49 AM   #5

Appreciate the input, guys!
I suppose I could take that route, upgrade as I break… something just seem like they’re worth upgrading immediately (steering horn, for example).

I was recommended a Tekin 35t by a friend of mine, but when I asked in a Facebook they all recommended the HH 13t… those seem like rather vast differences… any thoughts?
RiotCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:09 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

The 35t tekin is a 3 slot motor. The Holmes is a 5 slot. You get more copper per turn into a 5 slot.

In my SCX10 II, I run a 20t 5 slot tekin. That's closer to a 50t 3 slot motor. Very slow, with lots of low end torque.
Attached Images

Last edited by DRED805; 07-05-2021 at 07:26 AM.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:22 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

The Tekin is a very nice setup I have the FXR with a Tekin T35 pro hd motor in the honcho and its smooth. I also run a HH BRXL with a Tekin T35 pro HD both are nice setups but the HH has better features. That being said I also run a much more budget friendly setup in my SCX10ii and SCX10 iii. I'm loving the Hobbywing 1080 (40 bucks) and the HH 5 slot 550 motors (17 to 19 bucks). Its cheap and has pretty good programming for the ESC and it can also do some higher voltages from bec. I agree with lonleycreeper the best thing you can do is drive it and learn the rig then modify to you and your style. We can give you thousands of dollars in ideas and upgrades and none may work well for you at all other than cost you money. I spent close to 1k on my original SCX10 JK. It works well but the best upgrades I did were basically free..........Now for my other rigs I run stock or close to it and make tiny adjustments but all in all learning your rig makes you a better driver that's the best upgrade you can do.
SCX10 JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:51 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The links are probably going to be your first upgrade...Those are made of a very soft plastic that when under bind fold on themselfs...

Next is probably wheels and tires. The stock ones work ok but not great.

Then you will probably break a C-hub, Aluminum replacements are great, I have a set of Strc from back in the day, Knuckles kind of go with at that point...

Better servo esc/motor

Then CVD's cause why not? Better steering(slightly) stronger axles, ect

Overdrive /underdrive

Brass beef tubes

Ect ect...
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Long Time Newb, scx10 recommendations - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newb looking for kit completion recommendations revd13 Axial SCX10 II 2 10-18-2018 09:04 AM
Just introducing myself. Long time racer, first time crawler. Hinecken Newbie General 15 01-17-2015 05:19 AM
Long time lurker, first time posting Nvghostrider Axial SCX-10 51 07-02-2013 03:40 PM
Long time reader, First time poster overclokedguru General Crawlers 5 09-21-2006 11:25 PM
Long time reader, first time poster monkey boy General Crawlers 9 01-08-2006 06:56 PM