Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 Powertrain not smooth. Tried everything!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2021, 10:10 PM   #1

Default SCX10 Powertrain not smooth. Tried everything!

I bought a used SCX10 I (original) and I can't figure out why it won't have a smooth power train. It is a 2012 Jeep Rubicon model but it was only ran about 4-5 times it barely has any signs of use. I really need your help on figuring out why it won't run smoothly. With and without power the truck feels like bogs down every 1/5 or 1/6 wheel rotation, like it's getting stuck on something.

It looks exactly like this video. almost like something in the drivetrain is too tight or rubbing on something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMPq57YumQ

I have tried...
- with and without motor attached to transmission
- with and without power
- individual drive shafts attached (rear only, and front only). It happens whether I have only the rear, or front driveshaft attached.
- reseated/remounted transmission a million times
- tried a different motor
- set pinion/spur gear mesh a million combinations from very loose to very tight
- rebuilding transmission, adding grease/lube/oil wherever I can think of
- transmission has been rebuilt with tight screws and loose screws
- slipper clutch set loose and tight

The driveshafts are lubed up, and feel fine, nothing is caught. The motors are fine (new holmes hobby trail master, and new torque master).

Please help me. I have no ideas on what else to try. My main suspicion is bad mesh on the transmission (but no idea how to adjust mesh in the transmission). Or just bad driveshafts that don't like the angles.
KingRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2021, 12:48 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: SCX10 Powertrain not smooth. Tried everything!

Are the driveshafts aligned properly? Refer to SCX10 Jeep G6 kit manual for example, pins on both sides need to be parallel. One other thing I can think of could be badly molded plastic transmission gears. Have had few of those out of the box. If you spin the gearbox shaft with your fingers without motor or driveshafts attached, does it run smoothly?

Last edited by Growler; 09-05-2021 at 12:51 AM.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:24 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Do scx10's usually have extreme driveline angles like that? Looks like the driveshafts are just binding up.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:44 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Driveshafts in phase? Sounds like a bad plastic gear in the transmission to me. Go all metal gears in the trans. and it should be greatly improved, even if that's not it the plastic gears will eventually give out and you'll need to upgrade anyway so may as well do it now.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 08:13 AM   #5

Thanks all. The transmission seems to rotate just fine on it's own without a driveshaft, and with or without a motor attached. That's what's crazy. Everything on it's own seems to be completely fine but together it's a mess.

Maybe it's the driveshafts? After more testing I notice the "bogging down" occurs about every 1/2 turn of the driveshaft. However, when I remove the pin that connects the driveshaft to the transmission, and just left the driveshaft spin freely on the transmission gear, I roll the truck without power and it seems smooth and completely fine, which I don't think would be possible if the driveshafts or driveshaft angles were the problem. The truck seems to roll fine when everything is completely assembled except with motor removed, however I have tested two brand new hobby holmes motors and the problem gets worse with the motor installed and a variety of combination of pinion gear meshes. Could the problem be the spur or pinion? Or could the problem be unrelated to the spur/pinion/motor and just amplified by the motor after the motor is installed?

I checked and re-aligned the driveshaft so that the alignment marks are aligned as shown below. It helped maybe 10%, but the problem still remains.

How do I check for driveshaft phase? I just rebuilt the final drive gear (that connects to the driveshafts) exactly as shown in the picture in the manual and problem remains.

I really need your help guys. I want to make this rig work out. It looks great, it's a classic, and it has tons of potential but this is just driving me nuts. Should I buy a completely new assembled transmission unit?

Last edited by KingRaptor; 09-05-2021 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:32 AM   #6

SOLVED IT! Thanks to Growler, Dred, and Kincer!

It was the driveshafts! I assumed the guy before assembled them correctly and I just lined up the marks on the driveshafts, however, after taking them off again I noticed that even with the marks aligned the shaft ends (pins) were not! He screwed the driveshaft ends incorrectly not paying attention to the marks and alignment of the other shaft pin. They weren't parallel!

Last edited by KingRaptor; 09-05-2021 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:00 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Ya, that lobeing movement you described left me thinking out of phase drive shafts as well.

Glad you have it sorted.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:04 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Glad you got it figured out!
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX10 Powertrain not smooth. Tried everything! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TK powertrain? Markeje SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit 7 02-13-2020 11:22 AM
Trail KIng or SCX10 ii Powertrain? Markeje Electronics 3 02-12-2020 12:09 PM
~TSS~ SCX10 Smooth Skids STANG KILLA SS Chassis and Suspension 47 09-14-2017 11:48 AM
~TSS~ SCX10 Smooth Skids STANG KILLA SS Axial SCX-10 0 04-29-2014 06:18 PM