Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Kincer is goin old school

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Kincer is goin old school

I picked this up here about six months ago, it's an original SCX10 Honcho kit, it was all stock except for a long discontinued Hand Bros CMS setup and a aluminum four link truss in the rear. It had hardly any run time on it. I'm almost ready to do the elecronics on it now. It now has Axial HD ring and pinions, Robinson Racing and SSD metal gears in the tranny, Axial CVDs with piano wire mod, Vanquish Stage one kit, and Pitbull Rockbeasts on Amazon beadlocks. Electronics will be a Tekin FXR, DS3218 servo, Castle BEC set to 6.8 volts, Holmes 40t motor, I don't know what model it is it came with the truck. I have the DinkyRc interior going in it as well as soon as I can get it painted. It was fun working on this truck, brought back some good memories.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2020, 02:55 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Kincer is goin old school

Looking good brother! I love the OG SCX10 that I have. Mine is a goat with very little mods done to it.
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:01 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
Looking good brother! I love the OG SCX10 that I have. Mine is a goat with very little mods done to it.

Thanks man! Felt good to work on something today, with two recent job changes I'm hoping I can finally get back to my hobby on a regular basis again.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:13 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Took this earlier but thought it looked pretty cool, forgot to mention I also installed some RC4wd sliders and made some mounting points for my battery and electronics box on the sliders with some scrap plastic. Need to get a winch for the Marlin bumper if I decide to keep it on there.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:39 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
Thanks man! Felt good to work on something today, with two recent job changes I'm hoping I can finally get back to my hobby on a regular basis again.
No problem brother! That's good you're able to get back into it. You find you a job you like? You should go pull Mark out of his house and get him to go crawling with you. I'm always telling him to GO CRAWL SOMETHING!!! LoL!!! So with all those rigs you have now. Have you picked a favorite?
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:27 AM   #6

Very cool. This is why I hesitate to sell my OG SCX10. I think I'll regret it one day because of nostalgia.

Keep the Hand Brothers parts. I think they'll be sought after in 20 or 30 years when everybody starts trying to find and rebuild OG SCX10's - sort of like what is happening in the RC10 scene right now.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:17 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
No problem brother! That's good you're able to get back into it. You find you a job you like? You should go pull Mark out of his house and get him to go crawling with you. I'm always telling him to GO CRAWL SOMETHING!!! LoL!!! So with all those rigs you have now. Have you picked a favorite?
I had the job I liked for 30 years lol but they decided to close, my stint at UPS was short lived, they told me in mid December that they liked my work ethic and wanted to keep me after peak season, well in January they said we have too many people laid off now so we can't keep you, so I got online and found a job driving for a family owned machine shop about a mile from home, I've been there over four weeks and I really like it, it's kinda funny being a machinist for 30 years and working for a machine shop but not actually being a machinist anymore, I like the driving delivery gig, gets me out and about. They ship small stuff all over the country but I deliver the local stuff, one of the big contracts they have is with GE and I deliver conductors to them three days a week. As for my favorite rig I like them all, my first TRX Bronco that got me back into crawling is close to the top, however I think my favorite when I get it built will be the VS4 Pro, everything I read about them and videos I watch have nothing but good things to say so we will see. I gotta say though I really like this old SCX10 alot, I think it's the nostalgia of it but it should still crawl pretty decent too.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:24 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Very cool. This is why I hesitate to sell my OG SCX10. I think I'll regret it one day because of nostalgia.

Keep the Hand Brothers parts. I think they'll be sought after in 20 or 30 years when everybody starts trying to find and rebuild OG SCX10's - sort of like what is happening in the RC10 scene right now.
Definitely keeping this rig, I had probably five of these over the years and sold them all, one thing I like about this old original is the plastic isn't as crappy as it got with the newer stuff. The Hand Bros parts are staying with me, it's a really good setup, of all the original SCX's I've had none had the Hand Bros CMS, everytime one came up for sale I missed it and no one had any in stock. Always fabbed up some homemade deal, they worked ok but weren't nice like these.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Definitely keeping this rig, I had probably five of these over the years and sold them all, one thing I like about this old original is the plastic isn't as crappy as it got with the newer stuff. The Hand Bros parts are staying with me, it's a really good setup, of all the original SCX's I've had none had the Hand Bros CMS, everytime one came up for sale I missed it and no one had any in stock. Always fabbed up some homemade deal, they worked ok but weren't nice like these.

Nice! I also think Axial plastics were better in the beginning.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:19 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Nice! I’m a fan of old school so this is pretty cool. Great build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:00 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievedder View Post
Nice! I’m a fan of old school so this is pretty cool. Great build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes it’s cool to go back to school lol, I’m really enjoying this build. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2020, 02:40 PM   #12
RCC Addict

So I picked up another OG SCX10 a couple months ago and got it in shape today, it's pretty well built up already with SSD D60 axle housings, OD/UD Vanquish trans parts, MIP shafts, Vanquish CVDs, Castle Sidewinder, BEC, Holmes 35t. It had a axle mounted servo and I managed to find all the SSD parts to convert it to CMS today so that's done now. I have the rest of the upgrades done to the old Honcho, installed the beef tubes last weekend, just need to paint the interior and find a steering wheel. I really like these old relics, it's where it all began for me.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited by kincer; 03-28-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:53 AM   #13

Great looking trucks! I believe you're doing something that's going to be very popular in 30 years or so. RC re-releases from our childhood are all the rage right now. Others are buying used cars and trucks from the 80's and rebuilding them. I think people are going to be paying big money for OG SCX10 parts in the future so they can rebuild their first trail truck.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:13 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Man, I just went through all my old parts.... I bet I could build 3 trucks with what I have in my parts bin.

XR mod axles, metal shock hoops, skids of all kinds, drive shafts, rails, all metal, not much plastic....yes, most of my rigs are on the heavy side...I really dislike plastic parts when I can get it in metal....

I thought about making several for sale ads....but who would want this old stuff when there’s so much good new stuff available....JEEZE

Then I see this thread....

Makes me want to put at least one together....maybe my fiancé would want to drive it.

I have 6 rigs I play with...2 are heavily modified original SCX10’s
The others are all custom

Keep it up Kincer....your an inspiration during this down time
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:18 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Great looking trucks! I believe you're doing something that's going to be very popular in 30 years or so. RC re-releases from our childhood are all the rage right now. Others are buying used cars and trucks from the 80's and rebuilding them. I think people are going to be paying big money for OG SCX10 parts in the future so they can rebuild their first trail truck.
I'm definitely keeping these 2, they don't crawl quite as well with the huge pumkins but it just makes it more of a challenge and takes more time to choose the right line and I also regret selling the other 4 or 5 that I had through the years that never really got to this level in upgrades. A lot of the upgrades on these aren't even available anymore so they're staying on my shelf lol.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:23 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
Man, I just went through all my old parts.... I bet I could build 3 trucks with what I have in my parts bin.

XR mod axles, metal shock hoops, skids of all kinds, drive shafts, rails, all metal, not much plastic....yes, most of my rigs are on the heavy side...I really dislike plastic parts when I can get it in metal....

I thought about making several for sale ads....but who would want this old stuff when there’s so much good new stuff available....JEEZE

Then I see this thread....

Makes me want to put at least one together....maybe my fiancé would want to drive it.

I have 6 rigs I play with...2 are heavily modified original SCX10’s
The others are all custom

Keep it up Kincer....your an inspiration during this down time
Thanks man! I think these things were way better than the SCX10.2 other than the punkin size, plastics used were of a better quality although like you I change a lot of it out anyway lol, I think it's the nostalgia of them too though.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:54 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Nice pic from today, ran a pack through it today and it worked really well!

Old 03-29-2020, 05:01 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Nice pic from today, ran a pack through it today and it worked really well!

Both those rigs are super clean!

Love the old school vibe and Love the challange of running these rigs with the newer ones!
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 06:02 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Both those rigs are super clean!

Love the old school vibe and Love the challange of running these rigs with the newer ones!
Thanks bud! Yeah these are a challenge compared to the newer portal axle rigs, but they're fun in a different way.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:40 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I’ve got the 2012 rubicon and my buddy just picked up a trx4 today, we shall see if the old school scx can keep up with the fancy trx
Damion10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kincer is goin old school - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anything goin on? isac Arizona 4 11-16-2013 10:18 PM
Goin' old school Duuuuuuuude Axial AX-10 Scorpion 44 05-27-2013 08:05 PM
School of Doom - School Made Video Trailer LR3 Chit Chat 8 09-24-2010 09:26 AM
old school/new school chevy mud bogger josh hayes 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 10-01-2009 05:22 PM
Lets see your "School" bodies ... College, High School, etc. Locked Up Paint and Body 15 08-18-2008 12:09 AM