Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: CaptMatt's XJ Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2016, 12:03 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: CaptMatt's XJ Build

Jeep looks great.Can you take an xacto blade an cut out the "glass" an leave the windshield trim?

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk
avengernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2016, 08:36 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengernut View Post
Jeep looks great.Can you take an xacto blade an cut out the "glass" an leave the windshield trim?

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk
I'd rather not do that with the decals that are already on the body. I'm thinking about trying to get another decal sheet from Axial and trimming the new decals to just leave the trim, then re-masking the outside and spraying smoke on the inside of the windows. We'll see, if I do that I may just do a new 2nd body all together. For now I just want to use it!
CaptMatt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:29 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Do you guys just peel the whole window decal out and then apply it?

I've done several Axial windshield decals (and other smaller and larger ones) without any hickups by first cutting all the clear edges off (to make it cleaner), then make a cut with an exactoknife to the back paper, to about 10-30%:

[____|_] <- like so where [___] is sticker and | is cut. Then peel the smaller portion of the paper out.

Then place the whole decal to the place it should go pressing on the paper side so that the paperless side is not touching the shell. Position the decal in place and then just wipe the sticker on to the shell with a finger swipe -> goes into correct place.

When 10-30% of the decal is in place, just start pealing the back paper starting from the applied side and very slowly swipe the decal with your finger to remove any bubbles. The rest has always gone to the correct place without any further adjustments if the start was done good. Just look out for decal streching which might move the end to a different place other than what was intended.

Last edited by Ambis; 06-07-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Ambis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambis View Post
Do you guys just peel the whole window decal out and then apply it?

I've done several Axial windshield decals (and other smaller and larger ones) without any hickups by first cutting all the clear edges off (to make it cleaner), then make a cut with an exactoknife to the back paper, to about 10-30%:

[____|_] <- like so where [___] is sticker and | is cut. Then peel the smaller portion of the paper out.

Then place the whole decal to the place it should go pressing on the paper side so that the paperless side is not touching the shell. Position the decal in place and then just wipe the sticker on to the shell with a finger swipe -> goes into correct place.

When 10-30% of the decal is in place, just start pealing the back paper starting from the applied side and very slowly swipe the decal with your finger to remove any bubbles. The rest has always gone to the correct place without any further adjustments if the start was done good. Just look out for decal streching which might move the end to a different place other than what was intended.

Yeah, basically I'm a rookie at it and tried to apply it the wrong way. Thanks for the tips - I started the whole process wrong and then started getting more frustrated/etc and it just got worse :-(. Good news is I'm less worried about it today as the truck is super fun to drive.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:31 PM   #25

Brought the truck to work today with the hope of getting out at lunch time and running around the edge of the woods some. The truck did great even though I need to play with the shocks some (I'm not great at building them) and adjust my driving for something with smaller tires and actual approach/departure angles compared to my Wraith. I love this truck though, I feel it will be an excellent trail rig!

Old 06-07-2016, 01:28 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Great pics! Keep them coming

How many coats of gunmetal did you use for your truck? My dad's Wraith is getting closer to painting and I want to know how much to put on it...
Wes S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes S. View Post
Great pics! Keep them coming

How many coats of gunmetal did you use for your truck? My dad's Wraith is getting closer to painting and I want to know how much to put on it...
I ended up using almost 3 whole cans of gunmetal, sprayed in a bunch of light coats, with 10 to 15 min drying time between (and it has been very humid here). When I did the black for the hood/flares, I backed everything else in a few light coats of black as well to fill it out.

CaptMatt's XJ Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 11:26 PM
Jeep scaler build and comp micro crawler build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 12-25-2012 01:34 PM
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 01:42 AM
RcBros LCC Build, Hi-Res pics & More Build!! RcBro Team Losi Comp Crawler 30 06-03-2009 08:26 PM