Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Johnny builds an SCX-10 II XJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2016, 03:10 PM   #61
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Johnny builds an SCX-10 II XJ

First, great thread...love the look of your truck and the details of your build.

This is gonna be a random but pertinent question. I bought the RTR version, thinking that on 3S the truck would be quick enough to have some fun with, but to my surprise, it's really slow. Significantly slower than my previous crawler, a Kaiser XS (which got me hooked). So I'm wondering what brushless combo I should put in it, to get me a bit more speed in a straight line.

Been looking at the HH motors, like the one you selected, and was wondering how quick it was? Any idea, compared to the stock 35T Brushed motor it comes w/ if you buy RTR? Was trying to decide between the 2700 and 3300kv...was leaning towards the higher KV...but on 3S, I'm thinking I should use the 2700 like you're using. I know John Holmes put the 3500kv in his and he thought it was almost too much, so I guess I'm just looking for other opinions.
Dbdynsty25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2016, 11:03 AM   #62
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbdynsty25 View Post
First, great thread...love the look of your truck and the details of your build.

This is gonna be a random but pertinent question. I bought the RTR version, thinking that on 3S the truck would be quick enough to have some fun with, but to my surprise, it's really slow. Significantly slower than my previous crawler, a Kaiser XS (which got me hooked). So I'm wondering what brushless combo I should put in it, to get me a bit more speed in a straight line.

Been looking at the HH motors, like the one you selected, and was wondering how quick it was? Any idea, compared to the stock 35T Brushed motor it comes w/ if you buy RTR? Was trying to decide between the 2700 and 3300kv...was leaning towards the higher KV...but on 3S, I'm thinking I should use the 2700 like you're using. I know John Holmes put the 3500kv in his and he thought it was almost too much, so I guess I'm just looking for other opinions.
I absolutely LOVE the HH Stubby 2700KV Puller Pro I've got running in this thing. It has fantastic low end control and more than enough wheel speed on 3s to get up and over the nasty stuff. I even dropped down a couple of teeth on the pinion(I may go back up one at some point). It's not rock-racing fast, but I don't want it to be. The 3500KV motor wouldn't fit my driving style.

I ran a Tekin 35T in my SCX-10 Wrangler G6 for a long time. I recently upgraded that to a HH Crawlmaster 13t. My SCX-10II with the Puller Pro has more wheel speed. Keep in mind the gear ratios within the transmissions are slightly different.
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:03 PM   #63
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAnguish View Post
I absolutely LOVE the HH Stubby 2700KV Puller Pro I've got running in this thing. It has fantastic low end control and more than enough wheel speed on 3s to get up and over the nasty stuff. I even dropped down a couple of teeth on the pinion(I may go back up one at some point). It's not rock-racing fast, but I don't want it to be. The 3500KV motor wouldn't fit my driving style.

I ran a Tekin 35T in my SCX-10 Wrangler G6 for a long time. I recently upgraded that to a HH Crawlmaster 13t. My SCX-10II with the Puller Pro has more wheel speed. Keep in mind the gear ratios within the transmissions are slightly different.
Thanks for the info...still undecided but, leaning towards the 2700 you put in yours. Watching JH and his 3500 just seems a little out of whack on a crawler.
Dbdynsty25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:13 PM   #64

I'm running a tekin 412 3100kv and MMP ESC in mine and it's plenty fast........too fast actually for the body roll if you're not on pavement. It has great low end control for crawling and plenty of speed to open it up for trail riding.
mkw87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:31 AM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkw87 View Post
I'm running a tekin 412 3100kv and MMP ESC in mine and it's plenty fast........too fast actually for the body roll if you're not on pavement. It has great low end control for crawling and plenty of speed to open it up for trail riding.

What tranny are you running?
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:58 AM   #66
Rock Stacker

This is an awesome build. I have a few questions if you don't mind.

What size SLW hubs did you use with your method wheels?

It looks like you have rock beast on in one pic. Could you post a pic of the truck with the RB from the side?

Thanks
Ro@dkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:29 AM   #67
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro@dkill View Post

It looks like you have rock beast on in one pic. Could you post a pic of the truck with the RB from the side?

Thanks
Thanks! I'm running 225 hubs on the Methods. I don't have any side shots with the Rock Beasts on. I'll throw them back on the truck and take a pic when I can.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:35 AM   #68
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Thanks! I'm running 225 hubs on the Methods. I don't have any side shots with the Rock Beasts on. I'll throw them back on the truck and take a pic when I can.

Thanks that's the tire I think I want to run.
Ro@dkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:37 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1beatjeep View Post
What tranny are you running?
Stock one for now. I haven't decided what I want to upgrade to.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:16 PM   #70
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkw87 View Post
Stock one for now. I haven't decided what I want to upgrade to.
I think the question is if you're running the new kit transmission or the RTR transmission (which carried over from the original SCX-10).
Old 09-09-2016, 02:23 PM   #71

Quote:
I think the question is if you're running the new kit transmission or the RTR transmission (which carried over from the original SCX-10).
RTR - I figured that was what was asked after I replied.

The rear DS is rubbing against the spur gear cover, but I don't know if that's from the extra motor torque or not.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:44 PM   #72
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro@dkill View Post

Thanks
Does this pic show you what you need? The Rock Beasts are a great tire and look really good size-wise with the XJ body. Not too big. Nice and scale.

Axial SCX-10 II Jeep Cherokee by johnny anguish, on Flickr
Old 09-20-2016, 11:36 AM   #73
Rock Crawler

Made a couple of minor updates to the truck. I started by putting softer springs on all four corners. Bad idea. The truck was flopping around like a rag doll. However, going a step softer in the front and the stock springs in the rear has the suspension right where I want it. I also put Associated 40w oil in the shocks. The rear shocks had lost about 1/4 of their oil. In front, one was about 1/2 empty and one was almost entirely empty. I'm going to try to give them a rebuild when I get a chance.

Since nothing on the truck was breaking (knock on wood), I decided to spend a little money on some bling. Hence, the new light bar...

Old 09-23-2016, 09:47 AM   #74

Phenomenal build, thank you so very much for posting this thread!

What is the make/size of the your light bar and is it on 11.1v?
scraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:00 AM   #75
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraps View Post
Phenomenal build, thank you so very much for posting this thread!

What is the make/size of the your light bar and is it on 11.1v?
Thanks!

The light bar is the 5" Gear Head running on 6V (and a HeyOK remote switch!). It has a great "scale brightness," not blinding. The size is just about perfect. I used the 2mm hardware to attach it (that's what the bar uses), but I'll probably drill it out and use 3mm hardware the rack uses.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:38 AM   #76
Rock Crawler

Okeedokee, how about an update? Well, I've got over 75 miles on this tiny truck and it's holding up extremely well. Aside from the aforementioned leaky shocks and a bunch of scratches, the only other wear and tear has been to the plastic pivot balls. They're starting to wear and I'm getting a little more play than I'd like. At some point soon I'll replace them. I'd go with metal balls, but I've heard they caused premature wear in the old style link ends. Not sure how the new link ends will hold up to them. Since pivot balls a quick and easy to replace (quicker and easier than the link ends, for sure), I may stay with the plastic ones for now.

Other than that, this rig continues to perform remarkably well. I can't say enough good things about it. I've got a few more cosmetic updates queued up as soon as I have the time. How about some photos...

Old 11-23-2016, 11:32 AM   #77
Rock Crawler

Crossed the 100 miles mark with this rig a little while back. Still holding up like a champ. With all of the leaves on the trails right now I'll run my Wraith for a bit and give my 1.9s a rest. In the meantime, this rig will get some new ball ends and some fresh shock oil. Maybe another goodie or two.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:54 AM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Looks great, all my Axial shocks have leaked, some worse than others. I did the Traxxas 1/16 Revo/Slash o-ring rebuild trick, Green Slime, etc. They all leaked some right away and some took couple months, bought some aftermarket X-rings to try. Also tried a few drops of really thick diff oil, but then the damping was too inconsistent for me. I've found that the O-rings just don't seem to be quite squished tight enough to properly seal the shafts, the shocks have great scale looks though.

Love the Rockbeast tire size, stock BFGs look great too and as you said little taller is good with bumper and body overhang. Good job on the lightbar too, just the proper brightness, not blinding. Looking forward to your next update.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 12:04 PM   #79
No idea what I'm doing

I always enjoy threads written by photographers...excellent work on the pics and keep them coming!
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 12:18 PM   #80
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Love the Rockbeast tire size, stock BFGs look great too and as you said little taller is good with bumper and body overhang. Good job on the lightbar too, just the proper brightness, not blinding. Looking forward to your next update.
I go back and forth between the two sets. I, too, love the size of the Rock Beasts, but the kit tires work pretty well on the trails and give me a little more clearance with the big overhangs. So many wheel/tire combo ideas in my head that I'd love to try if money were no object.

Johnny builds an SCX-10 II XJ - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*** Krazed Builds - SCX Tuner Set Pistons Robbob Chassis and Suspension 14 07-14-2017 08:53 PM
209SCXCRAWLER builds a Classic SCX-10 Kit 209SCXCRAWLER Axial SCX-10 18 12-26-2011 06:25 PM
Johnny Cash would have been 78 today dragit Chit Chat 22 02-27-2010 08:26 PM