Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Imthatguy builds an SCX10 II

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2016, 12:13 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Imthatguy builds an SCX10 II

I saw the new piece that allows you to flip the trans around, but then read all the things you have to cut to make it work.
Pros dont out weigh the cons on that one to me.
I love the fact there is a waterproof box. Why cut it?
redemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2016, 12:23 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Imthatguy, I completely agree. It's not worth losing everything you mentioned just to flip the trans, especially when all you really need to do is swap in an OG transmission. That gives you all the benefits of simpler design, much smaller housing, lighter weight, motor lower and more forward, trans lower, eliminate a completely unnecessary transfer case, much less slop in the trans, and no other modifications needed whatsoever. This is exactly what I did and it fits and performs perfect.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:06 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleFreak93 View Post
I've been scratching my head at that too, I won't lie the realism of the tcase on the rear would be great but I haven't been able to figure out a way while retaining all the good things.
I'm still pretty amazed that they were able to fit all the trans stuff in where they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redemon View Post
I saw the new piece that allows you to flip the trans around, but then read all the things you have to cut to make it work.
Pros dont out weigh the cons on that one to me.
I love the fact there is a waterproof box. Why cut it?
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Imthatguy, I completely agree. It's not worth losing everything you mentioned just to flip the trans, especially when all you really need to do is swap in an OG transmission. That gives you all the benefits of simpler design, much smaller housing, lighter weight, motor lower and more forward, trans lower, eliminate a completely unnecessary transfer case, much less slop in the trans, and no other modifications needed whatsoever. This is exactly what I did and it fits and performs perfect.
I saw your build and it's definitely very clean. I guess the good that is coming out of all these things is innovation. Who knows what people will think of next (as long as it's not a horizontal battery mount)!
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:18 PM   #44
Pebble Pounder

I flipped my trans but did not have to cut my box. I did trim the battery tray down but I run 2200's anyway. I installed the OG trans before doing so but really like the look of the new trans, especially flipped. Great thing about this hobby is being able to tailor your rig to your liking. It still handles great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gsgraber92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:21 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

FYI the waterproof box isn't waterproof. I found water in mine after dunking it. I think it came in through the screw holes. I put sillicone on the holes. Got my fingers crossed.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Waitwhatsthat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:36 AM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgraber92 View Post
I flipped my trans but did not have to cut my box. I did trim the battery tray down but I run 2200's anyway. I installed the OG trans before doing so but really like the look of the new trans, especially flipped. Great thing about this hobby is being able to tailor your rig to your liking. It still handles great!

Absolutely, innovation and such is always good, but if this is just an aesthetic change, I'll probably not bother with the flip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waitwhatsthat? View Post
FYI the waterproof box isn't waterproof. I found water in mine after dunking it. I think it came in through the screw holes. I put sillicone on the holes. Got my fingers crossed.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Yeah, but I'd rather still have an intact box as opposed to one with a giant hole cut in it! "Waterproof" means different things to different people. I've never intentionally put a truck under water, and if I were to, I'd do a lot of extra waterproofing beyond the included box anyway.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:08 AM   #47
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post

Wheels, for wheeling. I really like the look of these Vanquish Method Roost's.

Oh, man. I almost went with black Roosts on mine. I'm hoping you don't make me regret my decision...
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:09 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAnguish View Post
Oh, man. I almost went with black Roosts on mine. I'm hoping you don't make me regret my decision...
You're probably going to regret it.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:40 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

I feel bad for not updating this thread, but I promised myself that I wouldn't reveal the whole thing until I got to Axialfest. So here's a bunch of teasers.

I'm really happy with the result. Holy crap, 7 days!
Old 07-08-2016, 07:13 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Matt any plans for an interior? I cant clue in but it looks like you arent using the XJ body on it.
natskiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:11 AM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by natskiboy View Post
Matt any plans for an interior? I cant clue in but it looks like you arent using the XJ body on it.
He has a driver figure there so I assume he has an interior and the body looks like an XJ to me but I don't know which one it is.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Di_Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:12 AM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Di_Spencer View Post
He has a driver figure there so I assume he has an interior and the body looks like an XJ to me but I don't know which one it is.

I see that now. I meant full XJ body

natskiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:13 AM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by natskiboy View Post
I see that now. I meant full XJ body

Oh yeah he showed earlier that he was using the honcho rear bed to make a jeepspeed.

Di_Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:01 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Here it is folks. If you were at Axialfest, you probably got a chance to check it out up at the Concourse. I wasn't entered, as I was working with Axial for the week, but there was a lot of attention on it from the Axialfest crowd. Even Casey Currie himself got a chance to check it out, and I had him sign it for posterity. Vanquish also must've liked it, as Harley, Steve and Jim hooked me up with a new set of their prototype Currie axles for the SCX10/2 and their latest Incision Method wheels. Those will be going on the moment I get home from my 3200 mile journey. My deepest thanks to the entire Vanquish team for letting me come by and check out their factory, and Axial for allowing me to continue representing them, and being a part of the Axialfest Crew!

So, some details since my last post. I used a Honcho cage and trimmed the rear of the XJ body to make it look just like a Jeepspeed full-size build. The OG SCX10 inner fender kit works a treat with a little trimming as well. All the big logos are paint, did my best to not use stickers at all, but cutting those little ones would be near impossible. Bomber interior is a bit narrow, but pretty decent. Enough words, I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:06 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Amazing job, looks even better in person!
stonecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:59 PM   #56

I'm not a jeep guy, but that is very nice.
Rmassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:42 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Prototype Curries in hand and no pic to share? C'mon man.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:32 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Best SCX10.2 - love the use of "stock" parts to make a new look. I might copy you. Looks killer!
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:06 PM   #59
RCC Addict

Love the Jerp and that you followed the curved upper line of the grill cutout.
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:15 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
Amazing job, looks even better in person!
Thanks very much, I'm glad that I had a chance to show it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmassey View Post
I'm not a jeep guy, but that is very nice.
I'm not much of a commenter, but that's a pretty nice comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Prototype Curries in hand and no pic to share? C'mon man.
I know, I'm mean. I'll put them together this afternoon for everyone's viewing pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
Best SCX10.2 - love the use of "stock" parts to make a new look. I might copy you. Looks killer!
Copy away, I'm glad to help inspire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleFreak93 View Post
Love the Jerp and that you followed the curved upper line of the grill cutout.
Heh, thanks. When I saw that, I had to do it.

I hadn't up until now really commented on how this truck drives. I can say with 100% certainty that this is miles/years/worlds better than the original SCX10, and that was a pretty great truck. Axial took a long time making sure they were able to correct the shortcomings of their original design, and the designs of others and make an extremely capable truck. My only performance modification was CI foams for the tires, and that alone was all I think I'd really do. It just works so well stock. The balance is right, the center of gravity is nice and low and with a forward mounted battery, it puts the weight where it should be. I'm running a Mamba Max Pro with a ROC 412 3100kv Sensored motor. Stock gearing.

I'm all for innovating and trying new things, but I can't think of a single reason to modify where Axial put things. Some day I'd probably switch to a metal slider that is smooth along the bottom, and lower profile bumpers if I were to comp with it, but man, it just kills on the trails. I spent all my available trailing time at Axialfest on Trail "D", which had a healthy mix of everything, from simple trails, to extreme rock faces, water crossings, and crazy rock lines created by Rivas and Schultz. Handled everything without fail. Some of the harder sections required some coaching from Rivas, but that's not the trucks' fault - it's mine.

Bottom line, I'm in love, and really folks, drive it stock until something breaks before you change anything.

Last edited by imthatguy; 07-19-2016 at 01:20 PM.

Imthatguy builds an SCX10 II - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Imthatguy builds a Toyota - SHOCKER! imthatguy 1.9 Scale Rigs 57 10-19-2017 08:06 AM
Something to piss me off or DrewHammer builds an SCX10 DrewHammer Axial SCX-10 47 12-16-2016 02:54 PM
Imthatguy builds a Cherokee because he hates Jeeps. imthatguy 1.9 Scale Rigs 57 10-31-2016 02:46 PM