Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Imthatguy builds an SCX10 II

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2016, 09:00 AM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Imthatguy builds an SCX10 II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
I really like the hi-pinion hypoid gears, smaller pumpkins etc, but Axial should have molded the lower link mounts as part of the housing, this would have been stronger, cheaper and more scale than two screw heads through the axle housing ala Wraith. This is also where they break when run hard.

Distinct front and rear axle housings would make it so that the rear axle tubes look more scale and use little short bearing retainer caps at the ends like Vaterra. The axle tubes could then be the same small sweet scale diameter all the way to the ends.

Nice build though, love the blue Jeep XJ body with cut out rear and Honcho cage and spare tire and lights back there!
Distinct front and rear axles would have raised the pricing, economy of scale is important. Molding the link mounts in maybe would have been cheaper, but what happens when you break one off? Replace the whole housing?

Just offering a counterpoint. Glad you like the Jeepspeed!
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2016, 09:07 AM   #82
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
Heh, thanks.

Yep.

Oh, I'm sure I can top myself. Still a lot of ideas swirling around in my head for the next one.

Wanted to share a couple of internal details. I got the new VP lockers and replaced the stock ones. I don't drive my rigs hard, but it's always nice to have insurance.

Here's a look at the bearing caps that VP will include with these axles. They're the revised kind that you load the bearing into. Clamps the holder down, not the bearing. Much strength and hold without any worry of damage to the bearing from pinching it. Smart.

Fantastic design on the bearing carriers, those bearings take so much more side load than the old design, these carriers look to provide the correct support! Well done Vanquish!
Oh and hats off to your build Imthatguy, truly a work of art there, it's given me some ideas, only there's no way I'm going to be done as quickly as you were
arnesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:11 AM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnesto View Post
Fantastic design on the bearing carriers, those bearings take so much more side load than the old design, these carriers look to provide the correct support! Well done Vanquish!
Oh and hats off to your build Imthatguy, truly a work of art there, it's given me some ideas, only there's no way I'm going to be done as quickly as you were
Thanks very much! From the moment the kit was released, I already knew what I was going to be doing with it. Research is my 2nd favourite part of tiny trucks.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:46 AM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Video review and some running footage. Still have a complete standalone running video in the works.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:24 AM   #85
Quarry Creeper

Running footage looks amazing. Did you use the included shock oil or something softer? That's how I want mine to look...
Wes S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:11 AM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes S. View Post
Running footage looks amazing. Did you use the included shock oil or something softer? That's how I want mine to look...
Thanks Wes. I'm not totally happy with it as I had to film it with my phone. Had the Osmo all charged up and ready to go, and forgot a freaking MicroSD. There will be more better stuff.

Pit Bull 33 weight Shock Oil is my go to these days.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #87
Quarry Creeper

Great video. I really like your paint and the attention to details. But the axles are just killer. Gotta get me some of those. I also agree with your comments on the completed kit in stock form." Just put it together and run it, it's a great truck." I love mine as well. Good job. Thanks for sharing.
luckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:38 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Distinct front and rear axles would have raised the pricing, economy of scale is important. Molding the link mounts in maybe would have been cheaper, but what happens when you break one off? Replace the whole housing?

Just offering a counterpoint. Glad you like the Jeepspeed!
Yes, but that would be offset by less separate molded link mounts and smaller end caps, plus it would be all black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnesto View Post
Great spool bearing support idea, they do take a lot more side load than the old style axles.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:32 PM   #89

Bad ass build. Im watching the Video as we Speak. "thumbs"

I do have one concern with the VP axles though. (maybe I should be talking to Josh buuutttt.) LOL My concern is with the Lock outs and the C hubs.. What happens if/when they break? Which in my opinion is inevitable. Then we have to spend $ on new axles..

Once again, Awesome build!!
TXScaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:04 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXScaler View Post
Bad ass build. Im watching the Video as we Speak. "thumbs"

I do have one concern with the VP axles though. (maybe I should be talking to Josh buuutttt.) LOL My concern is with the Lock outs and the C hubs.. What happens if/when they break? Which in my opinion is inevitable. Then we have to spend $ on new axles..

Once again, Awesome build!!
I may not have adequately described it, but the integrated c-hubs have a replaceable threaded collar so if you strip it out, you replace that part only. If you break a lockout, you must be doing something crazy!
Old 07-27-2016, 07:28 PM   #91
Quarry Creeper

Been following this thread/build from the get go. All I can say is.... SOLD!!! I've been considering adding an SCX to the stable, and everything you've pointed out, and done with the build, has pretty much convinced me that the next rig will be one of these! Kudos, for the amazing build!
turbodan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:26 AM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodan13 View Post
Been following this thread/build from the get go. All I can say is.... SOLD!!! I've been considering adding an SCX to the stable, and everything you've pointed out, and done with the build, has pretty much convinced me that the next rig will be one of these! Kudos, for the amazing build!
I'm glad that I could help! Enjoy!
Old 07-28-2016, 09:40 AM   #93
RCC Addict

Question about the scx10ii axles compared to the scx10 axles. Are the shock mounts in the same location on the axles? I know they inboarded the lower link mounts a little.

My logic is that they both use the same chassis so the shocks have to be in the same spot right? And do they seem a few mm's higher than originally? Before the shock and lower link were inline with eachother. Now the shock seems just above and maybe even a hair closer to the axle tube than previously?

Long story short, I want to ensure I can slap some of those beautiful Scx10II Curries under my current build without having to make cage/chassis changes.
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:15 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjari View Post
Question about the scx10ii axles compared to the scx10 axles. Are the shock mounts in the same location on the axles? I know they inboarded the lower link mounts a little.

My logic is that they both use the same chassis so the shocks have to be in the same spot right? And do they seem a few mm's higher than originally? Before the shock and lower link were inline with eachother. Now the shock seems just above and maybe even a hair closer to the axle tube than previously?

Long story short, I want to ensure I can slap some of those beautiful Scx10II Curries under my current build without having to make cage/chassis changes.
Not sitting in front of me, but I believe that the links are lower and the shocks are higher than the OG axle. All it means is adjusting link lengths though, and we should all be pretty comfortable with that!
Old 07-28-2016, 12:16 PM   #95

Quote:
I may not have adequately described it, but the integrated c-hubs have a replaceable threaded collar so if you strip it out, you replace that part only. If you break a lockout, you must be doing something crazy!
Not the insets, I read that part. I meant the ears on the hubs twisting or breaking. You can't just replace the C-hub on these.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:23 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Not the insets, I read that part. I meant the ears on the hubs twisting or breaking. You can't just replace the C-hub on these.
Correct, you can't replace those. But man, you'd have to do some wicked abuse to break or bend one of those. Tell you what in the interest of science, I'll do everything I can to break something on my next outing, and report back here.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:46 PM   #97

Quote:
Correct, you can't replace those. But man, you'd have to do some wicked abuse to break or bend one of those. Tell you what in the interest of science, I'll do everything I can to break something on my next outing, and report back here.
Good deal.. "thumbs" because I'm defiantly interested. I have 2 pair of Curries and I love them, but I think they would look too bulky under the SCX II. I just want to see someone break them and tell me what it took before i invest. LOL
Old 07-28-2016, 12:58 PM   #98
RCC Addict

Quote:
Not sitting in front of me, but I believe that the links are lower and the shocks are higher than the OG axle. All it means is adjusting link lengths though, and we should all be pretty comfortable with that!
Whoa whoa whoa.....CUSTOM!? Like I can't just buy links. Nevermind.

So would you say I can drop a set of V2 axles in a rig with the OG axles with minimal issue since the shocks/lower links are roughly (within a few mm's) within the same location?

The integrated c-hub is nice. Are you still running plastic knuckles? If so, regardless of what you do that should break before anything happens to that c-hub.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:02 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Good deal.. "thumbs" because I'm defiantly interested. I have 2 pair of Curries and I love them, but I think they would look too bulky under the SCX II. I just want to see someone break them and tell me what it took before i invest. LOL
I'll do my very best to give you the carnage you desire. But, I'm not good at breaking things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjari View Post
Whoa whoa whoa.....CUSTOM!? Like I can't just buy links. Nevermind.

So would you say I can drop a set of V2 axles in a rig with the OG axles with minimal issue since the shocks/lower links are roughly (within a few mm's) within the same location?

The integrated c-hub is nice. Are you still running plastic knuckles? If so, regardless of what you do that should break before anything happens to that c-hub.
LOLZ, custom should come quite naturally! I'd say that things are close enough that with some new links, the old axles should drop in to an OG chassis. I think some guys have already done that. And once I have some new shafts for the II's plastic axle housings, I'll do the same and report back. Yep, still running plastic knuckles, as there's no option yet to run otherwise.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:07 PM   #100
RCC Addict

Quote:
I'll do my very best to give you the carnage you desire. But, I'm not good at breaking things...

LOLZ, custom should come quite naturally! I'd say that things are close enough that with some new links, the old axles should drop in to an OG chassis. I think some guys have already done that. And once I have some new shafts for the II's plastic axle housings, I'll do the same and report back. Yep, still running plastic knuckles, as there's no option yet to run otherwise.
Sounds like you drive like me Oh no my pretty little truck! Dont break!

And didn't know if the Illuminati @ VP gave you some secret aluminum knuckles to try too haha.

Guess I'll just have to buy a V2 kit when they're available next month.

Sweet looking rig as usual

Imthatguy builds an SCX10 II - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Imthatguy builds a Toyota - SHOCKER! imthatguy 1.9 Scale Rigs 57 10-19-2017 08:06 AM
Something to piss me off or DrewHammer builds an SCX10 DrewHammer Axial SCX-10 47 12-16-2016 02:54 PM
Imthatguy builds a Cherokee because he hates Jeeps. imthatguy 1.9 Scale Rigs 57 10-31-2016 02:46 PM