Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: How to: Dye the red plastic parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2016, 08:06 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default How to: Dye the red plastic parts

There are a ton of tutorials on how to dye plastic parts, so I'm not going to into a lot of detail. The process is easy, albeit maybe a little messy. If you don't like the red plastic parts, it's a good way to change the color.

The parts I am referring to are on the AX31384 parts tree, and it is worth noting that Axial makes an option part that is black without the mess of the dye process. (Part Number AX31437)
As of right now, these parts are out of stock, but will probably be easy to find near the end of the summer.

Although I chose black for my parts, it may be possible to dye these with most of the other colors that RIT dye comes in. I haven't tried it yet, but supposedly RIT Color Remover can remove or lighten the red to prepare it to be dyed other colors. (I will try this in the next couple of weeks and post the results)

Some precautions to start:
- Dye will stain clothing, counters, skin, etc. Use rubber gloves, wear old clothes you don't care about, cover any surface you don't want dyed.
- Use a pot that will NEVER be used for anything else. Dollar stores are a good place to find cheap pots you can toss after you are done.

Materials needed:
- Pot and strainer
- RIT dye in your favorite color. I recommend the liquid dye over the powder.
- Paper Towels
- Rubber Gloves
- Cheap stirring spoon

Procedure:
  1. Fill the pot high enough to cover your parts with warm water.
  2. Pour the appropriate amount of dye (according to the instructions) in the water being careful to not spill or splash the dye.
    Concentrated dye will stain almost anything!
  3. Heat the pot on the stove until boiling, then reduce the heat until there are no bubbles rising.
  4. Carefully add your parts to the dye bath, again, being careful to prevent splashing and spilling.
  5. Stir the parts occasionally for 30-60 minutes, checking color penetration every now and then.
    For a deep color, I recommend about 60 mins in the hot dye bath.
  6. Remove from heat and remove the parts from the dye bath.
    This is where the strainer comes in handy. I leave my parts in the strainer while they cook to help prevent them from directly touching the bottom of the pot. Also, this way you don't have to try to fish out the small parts from the bath.
  7. Immediately rinse the parts in cold running water.
    Be very careful of splashing, and immediately clean up any splatters.
  8. Lay out the parts on the paper towels.
    I place the paper towels on a cheap plastic cutting board so I don't have to worry about the dye transferring to the counters.
  9. Properly dispose of the remaining dye bath.
    It can be stored and re-used, but if you are not planning on using it, pour it slowly down the drain with the water running on full blast (to help dilute the dye. Of course, check with your local government about any regulations with doing this.)
  10. Allow the parts to dry overnight before using them.

When you are done, the parts will keep a nice surface finish, and will not show the red with light scratches. Here are the parts that I dyed:

The parts come out looking like they were molded in this color in the first place.

If you have dyed your red parts, please post up pics of the result. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2016, 08:17 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: How to: Dye the red plastic parts

Much nicer! I thought about buying the black parts when I get my kit but that's another $18.
norco kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:22 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

This was essentially free for me since I use the black dye for my Nylon 3D printed parts, and already have all the supplies to do this. (I actually just threw these in the same batch with some printed parts.)
For those buying the stuff to dye the parts, you can get the supplies for relatively cheap.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:10 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I might do the shock mounts black. I kinda like the red pumpkin for some reason. I also think the pumpkin will see enough wear and tear that the red will show back through.

Thanks for posting this, I'm sure there are some out there that haven't dyed parts before.

Last edited by 1967Typhoon; 07-07-2016 at 12:12 PM.
1967Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:30 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Its the cheap little stuff that makes the difference. I need to do this to my link mounts but it will have to wait Leaving for Axialfest tomorrow
Lv6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:35 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Doing just the shock mounts is a good option too. Honestly, I am not sure why Axial made them red in the first place.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:36 PM   #7

Those came out looking great! Much better then the red that stands out a bunch in my opinion. Time to pick up some RIT dye and steal one of the wife's old pots. :-)
tandum4056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:23 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

You can always fire up the gas grill an do it outside to avoid any possible mishaps that could get you in hot water with the boss lol.That's the way I used to do it on the white nylon they used to put on the old RC10t's

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk
avengernut is offline   Reply With Quote

How to: Dye the red plastic parts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dying plastic parts............. bob1961 Paint and Body 5 02-25-2009 06:17 PM
plastic dye? trost Chit Chat 2 05-21-2006 10:11 PM