Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Ntimd8t's SCX10 ii build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2016, 02:52 PM   #1

Default Ntimd8t's SCX10 ii build

I kept reading the news and seeing rumors that Axial was going to release another truck a while back. I have had a few scx10's in the past and while I liked them they just were not as scale or realistic as I liked, especially after getting a Ascender and a TF2. Looking more and more I was liking what I saw with Axial's leaks with pictures about how scale the truck was supposed to be and I knew I had to have one. With the reliability of Axial and finally grasping the scale aspect I pulled the trigger and grabbed one locally.[IMG][/IMG]
Many of you have already put the truck together and ran across everything there so I will spare you my blabbering about the kit and just toss up some pics until I get to the jucier parts!
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The build went pretty smooth, minus my not being able to read instructions very well. Had to take the trans apart a few times to get everything set right. Currently running a 35t rc4wd motor with a Dynamite crawler esc and tactic steering servo. I didn't even build the shocks as I had plans from the start and had a extra set of 4 RC4WD 90mm ultimate scale shocks laying around new I had not used yet.
[IMG][/IMG]
While I liked that the body was not a wrangler and was alot better than what Axial has given us in the past I had my eyes on the Jeep Cherokee hardbody I kept seeing pictures on and right then I knew that this body was the one to go onto this truck.
ntimd8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2016, 03:18 PM   #2

Default Re: Ntimd8t's SCX10 ii build

Started gathering parts for the upcoming build while seeing more and more pics of the XJ hardbody and could not hardly wait until the funds were there to get one. Through many pics I saw the proline interior kit would fit that body with some modification. I ordered one
[IMG][/IMG]
Did a little modifying to make it look a little more realistic. I know there is a 3d printed kit but with ordering the body and having to devise some kind of floor to make it work I went the safe route and I am trying my best to make it look as unlike a stock proline tray as I can.
Driver is some wrestler I found at a local antiques place and was one of the only ones that was not dressed in a leotard or a bananna hammock, so surgery began to chop him at the waist since he didn't want to bend well at the waist to fit properly.
[IMG][/IMG]
I ran across some foam tube my wife had ran across at work and thought that I may have some kind of use for it. (got to love a woman who has no interest in driving a crawler but will grab stuff that she thinks I may have a use for) After lots of forming and sanding and trimming I ended up with something that resembled knees up for scale points with a driver.. nothing a little paint won't hide right?!
[IMG][/IMG]
Knowing the interior would be pretty protected from getting twisted around under a hardbody I went the unothadox route and shot a layer of black under and sanded the top to rough it up and painted the outside a medium grey.
[IMG][/IMG]
After studying many 91 Jeep Cherokee pictures I found most with cloth interior were 2 tone. I went through many pictures to see how it laid out in relation to the seats and this is what I came up with.
[IMG][/IMG]
Shot a few coats of satin clear over it and added the driver and some accessories and this is where it ended up
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
I had to modify his waist again and use just a hair from the bottom and the legs I cut out. They are not in the pics here but will be in the pics coming later as I was still mocking up and waiting on paint to dry
Old 07-23-2016, 03:43 PM   #3

Body finally made it here and it was then time for mock up.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I'm liking the way it looks with using the stock Axial bumpers that seem to fit the body just right, so I will not be using the very nice stock XJ bumpers with the body and modified the front flares to fit correct without using stock bumper.

I liked the stock tires that came with the SCX10 ii but they were a little tall for clearance with running with wheel flares. I did some calculations based on the body and the actual 91 Jeep XJ and the body is a exact 8.24 scale copy of the real thing. With that I was going to grab some sub 4'' tires to run but scaling them up would be smaller than most of the factory tires. I ended up switching wheels and tires with my Ascender and moving that over to a class 2 truck and using the metal wheels and 4.1 RC4WD Tommahawks. With doing maths.. the Tommahawks come in at a hair under a 34'' scale tire. Doable on a XJ with a mild lift and they are under the holy grail of a 4.19 for class 1 win,win.

Mounting is where things got interesting. I knew pins were out of the question. Also out was using the stock rear mount to go through the interior that would negate all the interior work I had done and still look like a r/c truck. I want to from the right angles with the right background and framing make people wonder real or rc?! For the life of me I could not come up with anything that was within my skillset with available tools and workspace. Sometimes it's best to have another set of eyes take a peek at it. Swung by a friends house and within 5 min of looking it over he came up with the ingenious idea you will see below. I can't take any credit for the mounting idea but I did do all the execution from the inception of the design. I am using the front stock mount with the tops trimmed off and a piece of styrene screwed in with industrial velcro. The rear of the body fits the stock Axial bumper perfectly and there is some meat below the light pocket on the body.
[IMG][/IMG]

Perfect idea to drill holes in sides of rear bumper through the body to hold rear of body down and in place. I added some styrene scaps to the front side of the body in the hole area to just add a hair of reinforcement. On the back end I glued some nuts on the inside that the screws will be able to grab into to hold tight.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Glued everything up and added a small strip of styrene between the two tabs to give the body somewhere to sit across the frame to make lining it up easier but I realized I don't have a pic at the moment. The last pic you can see the area at the bottom of the liftgate how there is nothing there. Now there is a strip of styrene that goes back to meet the area where I drilled through for the screws.
[IMG][/IMG]
Here it is with the screws backed way out to show where exactly they are on bumper.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
View of mounts tightened up and body sitting where it should and the screws to me don't seem as out of place, at least not in my mind.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:53 PM   #4

Underside shot of mount, can also make out fuel cell I fabbed up as well as exhaust pipe. [IMG][/IMG]

I work for Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge so in some ways I have access to being able to pull up some ancient info with books we have laying around. I ran across a color code sheet for 91 XJ and had some midnight blue metallic code pb8 mixed up. While waiting on paint to arrive I kept looking at pics of mildly built XJ's and came across one with a small lift with 35's and axle limit straps. So I had to try to replicate that... monkey see monkey do right?
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Also took time to add some detail to the metal wheels I am using. They are integy high mass. I used the bolts that held their cap on and repurposed them as lugs. I cut down and trimmed a set of axial center caps and detailed them and ended up with this.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-23-2016, 03:57 PM   #5

Paint has arrived and body has been through final prep. Holes unused have been filled and holes made for the roof rack. Last primer coat has been sanded and final color is coming soon.
[IMG][/IMG] Hopefully within the next few days I will have a completed rig.. stay tuned
Old 07-25-2016, 07:13 PM   #6

Here is a better pic of the exhaust and the fuel cell I made up so there was not as much daylight visible from under the truck
[IMG][/IMG]

Exhaust is simple 3/16 brake line bent to a 90 angle and one end hammered flat to affix to frame. The fuel cell I measured the width of frame and size to clear rear axle under compression and cut a plate from styrene and made a box to fit between framerails. A little testors red and a few zipties cut to resemble straps and it was ready to go.

[IMG][/IMG]

Undercarrage shot showing the wheel wells made from chinese delivery soup containers and limit straps as well as the nice shiny Rc4wd ultimate scale shocks. I ordered the kit with different springs to be able to adjust suspension and dial it in. At the moment using the stiffest all the way around to limit articulation and keep ride height as it is now. Flex in some cases is overrated and actually having to drive a rig makes the day even more fun being out playing with tiny trucks.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:17 PM   #7

Finally getting to the home stretch on this truck. At least for the moment as I feel they are never really done and there is always something to add.
Here are a few interior in truck detail shots. Even had to add my inspection sticker to windshield even if it's out of date along with the rearview mirror.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-25-2016, 07:24 PM   #8

Finally outside to take a little shakedown run and everything works as expected. Excited to see it finally done in the daylight all together. Never thought I would feel as much attachment to a toy truck as I am with this one. It is my first to build from kit form and first to build with a hardbody that came unfinished.
[IMG][/IMG]

Just need to add a few more things and it will be done for the time being. Need to get a set of wipers that fit correctly and some kind of light bar to fill in the front space on the rack. Even if it's non functional for the time being. May do something and wire it to a 9v so there are no more holes being drilled into the body.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:29 PM   #9

Last but not least a few night time pics on a short little run behind my apartment. Ran out of small white led's so for now the rear licence plate light is blue.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for taking the time to look through what I have done. Hopefully something may be some inspiration for some builds. Feel free to ask any questions.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:41 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Very nice build, love the colors you did on the lexan body! Proline interior really makes the hardbody look even better too. I might drop the ride height little bit, but that's just me and I agree flex is over-rated.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:58 AM   #11

In the night time pics it almost looks real! so far how do you like the rc4wd shocks? been looking at some for a more scale appearance.
Chris83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ntimd8t's SCX10 ii build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ntimd8t's Ascender.... work in progress ntimd8t Vaterra Ascender 29 01-30-2018 09:34 PM
Ntimd8t's Trailfinder ntimd8t RC4WD Trail Finder 2 4 03-08-2016 04:56 PM
1.9 wraith build or scx10 build? Cork Newbie General 13 06-08-2015 08:17 AM
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 10:26 PM