Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Vanquish currie rockjock axels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #201
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Vanquish currie rockjock axels

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubler View Post
First of all thank you for taking the time to give such detailed tips. Second can you please post a link or explain what size and location to purchase the stronger diff locker hardware? Thank you brother!
It really is my pleasure. I just want to help as many as I can by sharing as much info as possible.

Here's the hardware I used for the Incision and stock spool and since switching over all my hardware on my other lockers as well, I haven't had a single issue. One of those trucks is running 4s Holmes brushless. While I was at it, I ordered 1 of each size and length of several different high strength screw packs. These came in handy when mounting the ring gear to the other different sized spools in my other crawlers. I'm always OCD about using the most appropriately sized screw for any application and having it all on hand when building is so nice. The high strength set screws for motor pinions are also a very nice thing to have on hand. I was stripping out those smaller pinion set screws all the time before switching to 12.9 grade. Now I can crank down on them and not worry about stripping them or having them come loose because of under torquing.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek-...h-1004/p141661
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2017, 02:23 PM   #202
I wanna be Dave

Default Vanquish currie rockjock axels

McMaster carries a full line of 12.9 grade metric hardware as well. This is a good call out and I think I'll be making sure I restock my smaller hardware.

Pack of 100 for 13 bucks.. last me a while

Last edited by XSRCdesign; 01-15-2017 at 02:29 PM.
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:05 PM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honcho907 View Post
The motor is still smooth. No cogging or anything, just seem to have lost the torque needed to keep the tires moving through obstacles... now I have to squeeze the throttle(alot)to get the tire to climb and once clears is going to fast...I hope Im making sense or do I just need to learn more throttle control? Lol!!!

chicken nut bread
I'm running the exact same setup as you and have both super slow speed power as well as top end. Sounds like you have something else going on.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Mario_Zamudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:11 AM   #204
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSRCdesign View Post
McMaster carries a full line of 12.9 grade metric hardware as well. This is a good call out and I think I'll be making sure I restock my smaller hardware.

Pack of 100 for 13 bucks.. last me a while
That is definitely the more economical option for those that need a ton of 1 or 2 type or size of screws or a hobby shop. My issue was I needed and ordered 15 different size screw packs of 10 or so each screws for about $70. I needed a lot of variety. Set screws, SHCS, BHCS, long, short, etc. If I tried that with McMaster, I would've spent $195ish and had over 1000 screws left over that I'd never use. M3x18mm? Sure, that's a common screw I'll likely use 100 of. I've used maybe 16-20 of these little M2 screws in three different lengths. Now, I have plenty left over in each size and the rest of the various sizes I ordered for other applications and I saved over $100. Just another way to look at getting more of what you need or may need.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:29 AM   #205
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
That is definitely the more economical option for those that need a ton of 1 or 2 type or size of screws or a hobby shop. My issue was I needed and ordered 15 different size screw packs of 10 or so each screws for about $70. I needed a lot of variety. Set screws, SHCS, BHCS, long, short, etc. If I tried that with McMaster, I would've spent $195ish and had over 1000 screws left over that I'd never use. M3x18mm? Sure, that's a common screw I'll likely use 100 of. I've used maybe 16-20 of these little M2 screws in three different lengths. Now, I have plenty left over in each size and the rest of the various sizes I ordered for other applications and I saved over $100. Just another way to look at getting more of what you need or may need.
That's a very good point, and I don't disagree with you. I was just giving another option for people like me who have multiple rigs and builds and would need more than a few.
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:47 AM   #206
Quarry Creeper

I like these guys M10017 - M2X8 Socket Head Cap Screw FT Steel Alloy 12.9 DIN912
351Beno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:00 AM   #207
Quarry Creeper

Today i removed both diff covers, used caustic soda to get off the anodizing and polish them to a mirror like finish:

Pabust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:56 PM   #208
I wanna be Dave

Reminds me of the polished steel diff covers that were really popular in the eighties. Looks good, Pabust.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:12 PM   #209
I wanna be Dave

Reminds me of the Ascender diffs. Lol
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:59 PM   #210
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
Reminds me of the Ascender diffs. Lol

Except this actually looks good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:17 PM   #211
Quarry Creeper

Just put in a hardware order to amain! I love the 1.99 shipping. Thanks guys. I have some axles to build and 2 sets to rebuild.
doubler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:48 PM   #212
Quarry Creeper

Went out for a 2.6 mile trail run through a very challenging rocky dirty, somewhat wonderful crawler trails to a dry rocky Creek bed. The curries an VP links with weighted SSD knuckles worked so good they surpassed even my expectations. The new Proline dual stage foams with Hyrax might be the best tire combo I've ever used. A winner all around. Nothing like a day with the club wit a capable machine.
luckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:05 PM   #213
Quarry Creeper

What kind of brass weight do people use in rear with these axles? Currently have the SSD lockout/brass but looks like they won't fit?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Haziza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:21 PM   #214
I wanna be Dave

No they will not fit.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:43 AM   #215
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haziza View Post
What kind of brass weight do people use in rear with these axles? Currently have the SSD lockout/brass but looks like they won't fit?

All of my wheels are SLW compatible so I ordered some beef patties to go in the rear wheels. I also ordered some extended LURC Lug nuts and a few more sizes of SLW hubs to play with my width. So.......I will be running the SSD chubs/knuckles/brass weights in the front with a slightly wider hub to make up for the width of the brass beef patties in the rear.
MUF DVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:46 PM   #216
Quarry Creeper

I just orderd a set of these. What shims will I need? Also orderd the vanquish knuckles. What length will the steering rod have to be? Just the long one.

Johan_Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:48 PM   #217
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan_Eriksson View Post
I just orderd a set of these. What shims will I need? Also orderd the vanquish knuckles. What length will the steering rod have to be? Just the long one.

Stock steering link length fits.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2017, 01:48 PM   #218
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
Stock steering link length fits.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I don't have a stock steering link ;) I am using these for a toyzuki v1 build.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:12 PM   #219
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan_Eriksson View Post
The stock Axial steering link length is 107 mm while the rod ends are a little more than 18.5 mm (that is the length of the straight ones and the curved ones are a bit longer) so the total eye to eye length will be about 145 mm.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:13 PM   #220
Quarry Creeper

Now I just need to know shim size

Vanquish currie rockjock axels - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vanquish Currie RockJock Axle fatroofus Newbie General 7 01-16-2016 11:31 AM
Vanquish Wraith AL axles vs. Currie Rockjock dna4engr Axial Wraith 15 10-13-2013 10:48 PM