Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: bilinvic's SCX10 II

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2016, 11:08 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: bilinvic's SCX10 II

You shim your Curries on the outside or inside?
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2016, 11:12 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Outside.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:19 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Really, wow. I had to shim both sets of mine (XR10 width and Wraith width) on the inside to pull the pinion in further and get proper engagement. Before shimming I had a horrible amount of drive lash.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:37 PM   #44

Nice build Bill, Glad to see you got one !
I sent a video of the less tan marginal rod end play to axial, as I have now gone through
2 complete sets. Hopefully they will do something about it.
I ordered the incision kit anyways.
goatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:40 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatz View Post
Nice build Bill, Glad to see you got one !
I sent a video of the less tan marginal rod end play to axial, as I have now gone through
2 complete sets. Hopefully they will do something about it.
I ordered the incision kit anyways.
Let me know how the Incision links work out...the only possible concern I have is that they are 1/4" thick and the stock links come pretty damn close to each other already when the suspension is compressed.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:04 AM   #46
Rock Crawler

I make my own 1/4 Links. No issues

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
jwall046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:29 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
Let me know how the Incision links work out...the only possible concern I have is that they are 1/4" thick and the stock links come pretty damn close to each other already when the suspension is compressed.
Bil, have you seen the pics of the stainless links from VP? I thought the same thing until I saw pictures of them. Some of the links taper down for what I can guess is better clearance in certain areas or better weight distribution. I think the track bar and drag link are tapered as well as the rear upper links. They look awesome.

Edit: here's a pic. looks like the drag link is 1/4 inch but the track bar and front upper might be the tapered links as well as the rear uppers.
Attached Images

Last edited by SCREAMER; 07-30-2016 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Added pic
Old 08-01-2016, 02:39 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Perfect, I overlooked that detail on the Incision links...thanxs Brian.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:18 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

I have been fine tuning the suspension and running lots of back-to-back crawls to optimize the performance.

I flipped the rear shocks mounts from side to side and moved them up a notch on the frame. I wanted the rear shocks to be angled forward to provide more leverage and to lower the rear ride height. Moving the shock mount towers and frame brace also provided more clearance for the differential link mounts. For the shock mounts, I used the metal shock mounts from the Blue Monkey Wraith Trailing Arm conversion kit that was sitting in my spares box. The rear shocks were drained of the 30wt shock oil and were filled up with 60wt....feels much better now.

I replaced the rear bumper and bumper frame mount with brand new Axial parts because I initially stole it from my Wroncho Bug!

As much as I absolutely love the KLR's performance, I wanted a scale tire to suit the theme, so I threw on the R35 Falken Wildpeaks with the new denser SCX10 II foams. So far I can still make the same lines as the KLR tires, but it takes more effort and time. I may end up going with the 1.9 R35 BFG Krawlers in due time.

I also filled the backside of the body's grill section with black glue gun glue (if that makes sense!). Small cracks were starting on both sides where the grill goes down past the front fender flares. I applied a layer of Gorilla Duct tape and then filled this whole area with the molten black glue. Once cured, this provides a ton of support to the lexan body to prevent deformation on impacts. A secondary bonus is the extra weight all the way forward.

I'm still amazed at it's performance and I can't wait to get out on the mountains...hopefully this weekend.

SCX10_II_22

SCX10_II_21

SCX10_II_20

SCX10_II_19

Last edited by bilinvic; 11-11-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:59 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Great build! What are you going to do with the stock body?
Wes S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:32 AM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Thank you Wes S. I haven't decided yet, I will probably end up selling it.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:52 AM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
I have been fine tuning the suspension and running lots of back-to-back crawls to optimize the performance.

I flipped the rear shocks mounts from side to side and moved them up a notch on the frame. I wanted the rear shocks to be angled forward to provide more leverage and to lower the rear ride height. Moving the shock mount towers and frame brace also provided more clearance for the differential link mounts. For the shock mounts, I used the metal shock mounts from the Blue Monkey Wraith Trailing Arm conversion kit that was sitting in my spares box. The rear shocks were drained of the 30wt shock oil and were filled up with 60wt....feels much better now.

I replaced the rear bumper and bumper frame mount with brand new Axial parts because I initially stole it from my Wroncho Bug!

As much as I absolutely love the KLR's performance, I wanted a scale tire to suit the theme, so I threw on the R35 Falken Wildpeaks with the new denser SCX10 II foams. So far I can still make the same lines as the KLR tires, but it takes more effort and time. I may end up going with the 1.9 R35 BFG Krawlers in due time.

I also filled the backside of the body's grill section with black glue gun glue (if that makes sense!). Small cracks were starting on both sides where the grill goes down past the front fender flares. I applied a layer of Gorilla Duct tape and then filled this whole area with the molten black glue. Once cured, this provides a ton of support to the lexan body to prevent deformation on impacts. A secondary bonus is the extra weight all the way forward.

I'm still amazed at it's performance and I can't wait to get out on the mountains...hopefully this weekend.

I do believe that's the first "stinger" I've ever noticed on the rear!!

I love it and will likely add one to mine!!
skybolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:02 AM   #53
I wanna be Dave

It's there primarily to protect the body from rear roll overs, but it may also help to prevent them too.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:12 AM   #54
I wanna be Dave

I copied that idea on the rear of my Deadbolt. It's the perfect width for these 2 bodies and a great rear stinger.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:17 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Plus it's quite light weight.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:42 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

I took the Jeep SCX10 II out for it's virgin crawl with the guys out on Mt. Doug today; it was a 5 hour trek from the bottom to top and back down. This rig preformed flawlessly and that's not even the good part, the SCX10 II's performance is fricken incredible. By far, it outperformed all the other rigs out today and simply dropped the jaws of those watching the crawls this thing accomplished. There's some sections that I have been trying to conquer for the last few years and today I was finally able to raise my fist in the air because the SCX10 II crawled them; they were not easy crawls and it took great skill to make 'em to the top....but I finally did it.

The turning radius is insanely good. I can't wait until Axial comes out with the overdrive front diff gears which will make the steering even more superior.

The only think that needs improvement is the leaking shocks. I will either try to find a cure or simply get some replacement shocks. Although the stock shocks worked extremely well today, I hate leaking shocks that attracts all the dirt!

I am so excited about this rig and how well it performs....I can't wait to get 'er out again.

Having been an Ascender owner that had it dialed in for maximum performance, I have to say that the SCX10 II definitely outperformed the Vaterra rig. There were two Ascenders on today's crawl and both could definitely NOT follow the leader!!!! Sorry guys.

SCX10_II_31

SCX10_II_29

SCX10_II_25

SCX10_II_28

SCX10_II_26

SCX10_II_24

SCX10_II_23

Last edited by bilinvic; 11-11-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:45 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Old 08-07-2016, 06:29 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Old 08-07-2016, 06:36 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Old 08-07-2016, 06:50 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Great photos and great report!

It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one who's blown away by this platform. I'm eager to get my RTR version out and see how that stacks up against the stock kit.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote

bilinvic's SCX10 II - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bilinvic's R1 Build bilinvic G-Made Crawlers 82 03-14-2018 07:52 PM
bilinvic's Ascender bilinvic Vaterra Ascender 169 11-14-2017 07:59 PM
Video of bilinvic's RR10 Bomber bilinvic Videos! 1 01-02-2016 07:20 PM
bilinvic's Ultimate SCX10 '73 Bronco Build bilinvic Axial SCX-10 24 05-03-2015 05:55 PM
bilinvic's Second Wraith Build bilinvic Axial Wraith 11 10-14-2014 05:39 AM