Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: My first crawler is coming to life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2016, 08:55 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default My first crawler is coming to life

This is my first crawler. Built from a kit and it includes my first ever paint job. The design comes from a jeepspeed racer. It was a pain laying down the 1/16" pin striping and doubling it for the stripes and side stars. The truck was easy and I used most of the mods listed by billinivic. I did come up 14 screws short. I'm missing all of the screws for the rack and body accessories. I hope i get to drive it this week.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2016, 02:31 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: My first crawler is coming to life

"This is my first crawler. Built from a kit and it includes my first ever paint job"

Wow, thats some nice work. Your first time? I have painted my body's for over 50 years and they don't look as good as yours Your off to a great start sir.

~D

Last edited by Say what?; 09-21-2016 at 02:50 AM.
Say what? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:08 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

First paint job ever or first paint job on an RC crawler, lol. My first paint job had dual different color stripes, and it looked like crap, lol.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:11 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the kind comments. I purposefully did not show a front shot since I had a problem with the spray pattern on my gunmetal color and it got a run that looks wierd on the outside. I'll now show a picture of the hood star.

First ever. I didn't want to paint my yeti xl so I fabricated an aluminum panel body out of old signs from work. The back was white and I let my 3 and 5 year old girls paint it up with dry eras crayons. Looked great and could be redone by the girls at anytime.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:13 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Old 09-21-2016, 10:25 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Here is the truck my ideas came from...

For a first paint I would have never used a candy or metallic paint requiring a backer. Hind sight is 20/20 I guess. If I had more bodies I would paint more. It was challenging and fun. Taping truly took a long time.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:46 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Old 09-22-2016, 06:06 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Some action shots of her maiden voyage. I know I had more, but whatever. Something I'm noticing is that it leans to the right. Anyone else having this issue?

I'm also having an issue of it seeminglyrics wanting to tip over all the time like it's top heavy. Could just be the gripless red dirt here in OKC.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Could be different amounts of shock oil. Or it could simply be torque twist. Does it sag when no power is applied? If so than it's probably the former.

I don't believe that's your first paint job. I could never paint that well
Wes S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:54 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes S. View Post
Could be different amounts of shock oil. Or it could simply be torque twist. Does it sag when no power is applied? If so than it's probably the former.

I don't believe that's your first paint job. I could never paint that well
Thanks for the compliment. You could talk to my local hobby shop. They gave me a ton of tips on how to get good results. I made plenty of mistakes on the paint. But my lines were almost flawless. The tape lines were so hard because the stars on the sides took 1.5 layers of tape to make the lines wider. Next time I will use 1/8" tape for the wider lines. The hood star is 1/16" tape but a single layer.

So i thought the shocks were all even. It sags from torque twist but does not fully spring back once off throttle. I will check the fluid levels though. I also don't feel like I get the flex that I should.

One other thing to note is that if I had it to do over I would have gotten the 2700k puller pro instead of the 2200. Where can I get some different gears? I want to go as tall as I can. On 2s speed is very low. On 3s it is decent, but I would like a little more.

I did the math on the gears and with the tallest ratio, according to axial, will get me almost as fast as a stock gear on the 2700k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorider View Post

Some action shots of her maiden voyage. I know I had more, but whatever. Something I'm noticing is that it leans to the right. Anyone else having this issue?

I'm also having an issue of it seeminglyrics wanting to tip over all the time like it's top heavy. Could just be the gripless red dirt here in OKC.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:11 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Paint looks pretty good to me. If you are worried about flaws, tape off the area you don't like door, hood whatever. And paint it over on the outside. Plus if it's really cool your gunna trash the body in no time anyways, so who cares!
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:33 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by im gunna crawl View Post
Paint looks pretty good to me. If you are worried about flaws, tape off the area you don't like door, hood whatever. And paint it over on the outside. Plus if it's really cool your gunna trash the body in no time anyways, so who cares!
That was my feeling. It's gonna get tore up anyways. Already has many scratches on the outside. I would shred paint on the outside.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:15 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Switch your right shocks to the left side and vice versa and let's see if we can pinpoint if it's a single troublemaker.

Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:05 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

My had the same issue with the stock shocks. It would lean to the right a little. My friends RTR also does the same. I switched to different shocks, with a heavier spring. No more lean.

Waitwhatsthat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:15 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepy84 View Post
Switch your right shocks to the left side and vice versa and let's see if we can pinpoint if it's a single troublemaker.

That's a great idea. I should have thought of that myself. I'll check it out this week.

My first crawler is coming to life - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini Rock Crawler ESC and 3s LiFE? BJoe Electronics 0 09-04-2011 10:23 PM
Another Wreckluse is coming to life. mudman1 2.2 Scale Rigs 40 06-26-2011 10:32 PM
coming soon WK crawler. hairba11 Newbie General 5 04-04-2007 05:26 PM
half-life 2 crawler yoda316 Chit Chat 8 06-20-2005 08:01 AM