Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: ToyZuki's SCX10.2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2016, 07:52 PM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: ToyZuki's SCX10.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
Yes I'll have one up tonight or tomorrow.
What's taking you so long?
ToyZuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyZuki View Post
What's taking you so long?
Fr8cture's JK8 #2 w/ Toyzuki V2 chassis
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:35 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Just started building mine last night. Installing those nuts into the plates is a major pain in the ass. After a lot of trial and error I found a way to press them in using small channel locks and a block of plastic with a cutout on the backside as a press board. Can you tell me if this is OK? The nuts are actually spreading the G10 plate apart where they are pressed in and I did hear some cracking as they were going in. I tried working them in by hand using the installed screw as leverage but there was no way those were going in without significant force.
Attached Images

SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:48 AM   #64
I wanna be Dave

I had to dremel mine to get them in. I over dremeled one of them though and it doesn't fit anymore.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:07 AM   #65
I wanna be Dave

I didn't want to remove any material for that very reason. He said they would be tight and you definitely want them to be since these are all that holds the chassis together besides the skid. On with the build!
Old 10-31-2016, 11:16 AM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Tight yes but I feel its way tighter than it needs to be specifically on the t-case. My motor mount ones basically fell in.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:51 AM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Right, knowing myself, I was just afraid I'd take too much off. All mine were the exact same super tight press fit.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:01 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

I'm thinking the issue is the Tcase is such a small piece compared to the other two that its much more rigid and won't flex easily to get those nuts in which should be countered with making them a little bigger. Just my thought.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:59 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Well, I got her this far. This is how she'll sit until parts start showing up. This chassis caught me totally off guard so I didn't have my usual stockpile of parts at the ready. I'm going to order up several 70mm threaded posts to tie the chassis together more solidly. I need to order up a reverse rotation Holmes motor, that Axial silver can is just for mockup since that's about all they're good for besides paperweight. Need to get some gear covers for the front gearbox and transfer case. Need to get a servo, body (probably China JK), sliders, axles, etc. This is going to be a pretty slow build compared to my normal pace but, I'm really excited for this build and it was a nice surprise. I'll definitely be following the other builds to see what I can learn.
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2016, 01:09 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Nice I ordered some 68mm matte black lockedup threaded posts.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #71
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Well, I got her this far. This is how she'll sit until parts start showing up. This chassis caught me totally off guard so I didn't have my usual stockpile of parts at the ready. I'm going to order up several 70mm threaded posts to tie the chassis together more solidly. I need to order up a reverse rotation Holmes motor, that Axial silver can is just for mockup since that's about all they're good for besides paperweight. Need to get some gear covers for the front gearbox and transfer case. Need to get a servo, body (probably China JK), sliders, axles, etc. This is going to be a pretty slow build compared to my normal pace but, I'm really excited for this build and it was a nice surprise. I'll definitely be following the other builds to see what I can learn.
in your image i like the motor moved lower in the chassis, but the angle on the transmission output shaft seems extreme. So one advantage of running this chassis is the lower CoG. What are the other advantages? Just for clarification Im fairly new to the Rock crawling scene.
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Other advantages are the chassis design itself. Many link and suspension tuning options built in. The chassis itself is much lighter than the steel it replaces. Higher clearance skid. A lot more room for a full scale interior. The option to run overdrive front or standard gearing with the swap of the rear driveshaft position. That driveshaft angle is much less than the OG SCX10 driveline angles were stock and far from extreme.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:05 AM   #73
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Other advantages are the chassis design itself. Many link and suspension tuning options built in. The chassis itself is much lighter than the steel it replaces. Higher clearance skid. A lot more room for a full scale interior. The option to run overdrive front or standard gearing with the swap of the rear driveshaft position. That driveshaft angle is much less than the OG SCX10 driveline angles were stock and far from extreme.
Thank you Screamer! I figured it was much lighter and that the options for suspension tuning were there. I did not know that the skid was higher. And its good to hear that the shaft angle is not as bad as i had perceived. So does the battery sit in the rear now? How do you protect the gears and lubricate them with them exposed to the elements?
Old 11-03-2016, 08:55 AM   #74
I wanna be Dave

I haven't decided where I'll mount my battery yet but there are a couple options. The gears won't be exposed much longer. There's a guy on facebook that makes really nice covers for less than $20 shipped. I've got those on the way now. I'll update here when I get them installed.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:09 AM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Cover.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:51 AM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Lockeduprc slipper eliminator fits good aswell.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:55 AM   #77
Rock Crawler

i cant wait to see the motor mounted inside the chassis. I want to see how close it will be getting to rocks.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:05 AM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorider View Post
i cant wait to see the motor mounted inside the chassis. I want to see how close it will be getting to rocks.
Go check out my build thread. It's MM's above the lower link.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:07 AM   #79
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thank you Screamer! I figured it was much lighter and that the options for suspension tuning were there. I did not know that the skid was higher. And its good to hear that the shaft angle is not as bad as i had perceived. So does the battery sit in the rear now? How do you protect the gears and lubricate them with them exposed to the elements?
Battery mounting is up to the user. One could mount it on top of the transfer case, up front next to the servo, on a slider, to the right of the motor.

Quote:
The lower links hit before the motor.
VMGontheRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #80
I wanna be Dave

Holmes 550 Crawlmaster Pro fits with room to spare thanks to the tapered endbell. I've been wanting to run one of these motors since they became available so I'm really glad it fits. My Crawlmaster 540s are great so this 550 should be awesome. Also got a Hitec 7954sh mounted up for steering duties. Still on the hunt for some AR44s. I'd love to get this to roller status.
Attached Images

ToyZuki's SCX10.2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ToyZuki's ascender ToyZuki Vaterra Ascender 12 01-30-2018 10:29 AM
ToyZuki's angled skid scx10 chassis ToyZuki Chassis and Suspension 98 11-27-2016 02:54 PM
ToyZuki's 4runner ToyZuki 1.9 Scale Rigs 7 01-19-2015 11:47 PM
ToyZuki's CrewZuki ToyZuki 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 04-29-2014 05:36 PM