Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Shock recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2016, 12:15 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Shock recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedog View Post
I put in the big bores, but can't figure out a good spring for them

I am in the same boat. I currently have 30w associated oil all four and have Losi golds on all four corners. I have every Axial 14x70 spring rate. I just could not come up with a good combo.
kkipp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2016, 01:32 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedog View Post
I believe I bought the xl big bores 93 mm. I put on the mini losi springs and using the dlux setup, looks cool and more scale but not impressed with the ride height, seem to sag to much. Used the firms all around.
I'm a bit confused. You are running the blue or orange Firm springs with the 93mm BB's and are getting to much sag? The sag is a good thing in most cases it allows drop out/droop which is a wonderful thing in the 1.1 and tiny truck world. With the firm springs you shouldn't be getting much sag. Could you toss up a pic? Pic without your body on say full on side shot? Your solution could be a simple upper shock mount relocation to stand the shock up more. Also the firm springs on all 4 with a stock light weight rig might be a bit much to allow the suspension to travel. The Dlux cups come with o-rings that you can stack under the mini t spring to give you a good bit of pre-load. I have the same set up and have done a bunch of tuning.
doubler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:39 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Happy Holidays Everyone! Just a small update from my side...

I received the Gmade Diaphragms and they are nice shocks. Look great, run smooth, and no leaks! However, even with the soft springs front and rear they are still a little too stiff for my taste. Front wasn't too bad since I have a big battery, but I was only getting like half compression out of the rear. Even though this crawler is for running around, crawling whatever I find, and having fun with, I'm a little picky and want it to work how I imagine.

Anyway... all that said, I ended up ordering a set of the Traxxas Big Bores. They're supposed to be 93mm but they're a little longer than that. I'm alright with it since I ordered an assortment of 2.75" Losi and 70mm Axial springs. 1.04 lbs/in up to 2.47 lbs/in and everything I could find in between. I really wanted to put the 3 hole piston on right off the bat, but I couldn't figure out how to get the damn e-clips off. So 2-hole pistons it is. I'll only be running 30 weight so I should find a spring combo that works to my liking.

My apologies for being long winded. I'll probably post here again with my feelings of the BB's.
TFitzPat87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:33 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Please let us know the spring setup you end up with on the big bores.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sammy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:41 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFitzPat87 View Post
Happy Holidays Everyone! Just a small update from my side...

I received the Gmade Diaphragms and they are nice shocks. Look great, run smooth, and no leaks! However, even with the soft springs front and rear they are still a little too stiff for my taste. Front wasn't too bad since I have a big battery, but I was only getting like half compression out of the rear. Even though this crawler is for running around, crawling whatever I find, and having fun with, I'm a little picky and want it to work how I imagine.

Anyway... all that said, I ended up ordering a set of the Traxxas Big Bores. They're supposed to be 93mm but they're a little longer than that. I'm alright with it since I ordered an assortment of 2.75" Losi and 70mm Axial springs. 1.04 lbs/in up to 2.47 lbs/in and everything I could find in between. I really wanted to put the 3 hole piston on right off the bat, but I couldn't figure out how to get the damn e-clips off. So 2-hole pistons it is. I'll only be running 30 weight so I should find a spring combo that works to my liking.

My apologies for being long winded. I'll probably post here again with my feelings of the BB's.
If I were you I would try 10 wt front and 20 or 30 rear with the 2 hole pistons. I'm currently running 30 front and 50 rear and it is way too slow at both ends. I'm going to switch to 3 hole pistons. You can use an e-clip tool to remove and install the e-clips. Tower has them for a few dollars. I'm running losi pink front and gold rear springs.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:08 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorider View Post
If I were you I would try 10 wt front and 20 or 30 rear with the 2 hole pistons. I'm currently running 30 front and 50 rear and it is way too slow at both ends. I'm going to switch to 3 hole pistons. You can use an e-clip tool to remove and install the e-clips. Tower has them for a few dollars. I'm running losi pink front and gold rear springs.

I might look into that e-clip tool. I'd really rather run the 3 hole pistons. I have a local hobby shop that probably has something.

I'm looking at running the gold losi springs out back and then either the Losi yellows (2.0 lbs/in) or axial 14x70 1.75 lbs/in. I also have 2.47 and 1.04 lbs/in axials that I might mess around with. I have a 5200mah 3s lipo, so that adds a decent amount of weight to the front. I'm debating on getting a smaller like 2500 (or so) battery (open to suggestions). I'm not really running it for long periods, and I'd have the 5200 if I know it'll be used a bit.

Btw, you happen to know what weight the oil is that comes with the BB's?
Old 12-31-2016, 08:54 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I might look into that e-clip tool. I'd really rather run the 3 hole pistons. I have a local hobby shop that probably has something.

I'm looking at running the gold losi springs out back and then either the Losi yellows (2.0 lbs/in) or axial 14x70 1.75 lbs/in. I also have 2.47 and 1.04 lbs/in axials that I might mess around with. I have a 5200mah 3s lipo, so that adds a decent amount of weight to the front. I'm debating on getting a smaller like 2500 (or so) battery (open to suggestions). I'm not really running it for long periods, and I'd have the 5200 if I know it'll be used a bit.

Btw, you happen to know what weight the oil is that comes with the BB's?
The BB oil is pretty thick. No clue what weight it is. It seems to be a top secret formula.

If I had it to do again I would look closely at team brood for batteries. Price seems pretty good and they are light weight like the smc packs. No idea on performance though. His reputation seems pretty good, so I imagine they perform well.

Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:58 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorider View Post
The BB oil is pretty thick. No clue what weight it is. It seems to be a top secret formula.

If I had it to do again I would look closely at team brood for batteries. Price seems pretty good and they are light weight like the smc packs. No idea on performance though. His reputation seems pretty good, so I imagine they perform well.

Yeah, it seemed pretty thick. I don't understand why they don't have the weight on the label. Same thing with the Gmades too.

Anyway, I found something I could get the e-clips off with, so I have 3 hole pistons installed now. Just filled em all up with 30 weight and cycled them a few times. They're sitting for a little while now. I'll probably cycle them again, let em sit for another 20 minutes, then top em off, and screw the caps on.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:02 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Hi Guys, so unfortunately my stock shocks are leaking (big surprise, right?) after my first shake down since I finally got my ESC. So I removed em, cleaned em up, added oil, and tightened em up as tight as possible (just like I did initially), took the Xj for another ride and they're leaking again. So just gonna upgrade now.

Anyway, what shocks would you guys recommend? Not looking to spend a fortune but want something solid. Maybe something in the 90 to 110mm range? It's really just used for fun, romping around on, and getting beat up.

I'm sure this has been covered before, so I apologize, but I was having trouble finding threads focused on SCX10 II's. Which surprised me considering this is a common problem.

Thanks in advance!
Another option if you have the money is proline powerstrokes scalers. They will fit the 12.5x60 axial springs like the ones on the scx10 II
common rock crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:51 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

I currently have big bores, pro lines, and kings. I like them all but the big bores hands down are the smoothest most predictable. I'm going to try some of the new non reservoir GMades when I can get them from RPP. I would personally wait for them if I was needing shocks.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:47 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by common rock crawler View Post
Still the prolines are more scale and still just as smooth as the BBs

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
You've lost your mind sir. The prolines are decent at best. They look good and work ok but have nothing on the performance of the big bores.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:37 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Motorider,

BB=Traxxas big bore shocks come with 30w silicone shock fluid. The same as Axial's stock shock fluid.

~D

Last edited by Say what?; 12-31-2016 at 11:28 PM.
Say what? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:40 AM   #33
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubler View Post
I'm going to try some of the new non reservoir GMades when I can get them from RPP. I would personally wait for them if I was needing shocks.
Just to clarify, do you mean the GM20902? I see these need no shock oil. How do they actually work?
andrewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:41 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

doubler is talking about the Gmade RSD suspension I am guessing.
malickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:23 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

So far I'm happy with the BB's. I haven't ran em for much other than over a few books, pillows, and random shit but they feel quite a bit better than the gmades. Definitely smoother. However, with 30w and 3 hole pistons, they're still slightly slow, but I think I'm good with it. I may pick up some 20 or 25w next time I'm at the hobby shop. Or open the piston holes up just a tad.

Currently have the Losi 2.75" golds (1.4 lbs/in) in the rear and axial 14x70mm 1.75 lbs/in in the front. Was initially planning on the 2.0 lbs/in, and will probably try those out, but wanted to see how the 1.75 lbs/in worked out first. Want more time on it before I change anything up.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:00 PM   #36
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by malickie View Post
doubler is talking about the Gmade RSD suspension I am guessing.
Thanks. What do you guys think of the RSDs with the piggy back on an SCx10-ii? Seems like a good idea to be able to adjust the damping without having to dismantle the shock and change the oil. What is the benefit of the RSDs over the XD series?
andrewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:31 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Default Shock recommendations

Rsd is way more scale and they most likely have more travel range. I just went from XD shocks on my 1.9 build. The xd shocks where to big but I do miss the ability to adjust the oil with the screw. I now only have the non piggy back rsd. The rsd shocks will be more then enough and they look awesome.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Last edited by Johan_Eriksson; 01-01-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Johan_Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:15 PM   #38
Rock Stacker

So far Ive been lucky with the Icon shocks. I have been eyeing the new G Made shocks that doubler is talking about. They look scale and are designed to hold oil!!!! We shall see.
MUF DVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:26 PM   #39
Rock Stacker

Just curious... when you guys are filling/setting up your shocks, where do you have the piston when you screw the cap on? I had the piston fully extended, slightly threaded the cap on, then compressed it half way and tightened the cap all the way down. I wonder if I should compress the shock almost completely before I tighten the cap? I assume both ways are right in their own way. Just wondering what you guys like.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:15 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Just curious... when you guys are filling/setting up your shocks, where do you have the piston when you screw the cap on? I had the piston fully extended, slightly threaded the cap on, then compressed it half way and tightened the cap all the way down. I wonder if I should compress the shock almost completely before I tighten the cap? I assume both ways are right in their own way. Just wondering what you guys like.
I like to compress the piston all the way to the top and then tighten the cap. Once tightened, I move the shock through its stroke and verify there is no hydrolock.
triggerhapy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scx10.2 scx10 ii, shock absorber, shocks

Shock recommendations - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shock recommendations Fowlboy Axial SCX-10 2 04-07-2013 03:26 PM
Shock recommendations????? hatefulboy South Carolina 7 09-03-2012 05:59 PM
Shock Recommendations bschimmel General Crawlers 8 05-25-2010 07:45 PM
shock recommendations Crawlin' Axial AX-10 Scorpion 36 04-09-2008 09:12 PM
Shock Recommendations? gregrocks90046 Traxxas Crawlers 3 01-04-2006 05:41 PM