Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Shock recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2016, 10:06 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Shock recommendations

Hi Guys, so unfortunately my stock shocks are leaking (big surprise, right?) after my first shake down since I finally got my ESC. So I removed em, cleaned em up, added oil, and tightened em up as tight as possible (just like I did initially), took the Xj for another ride and they're leaking again. So just gonna upgrade now.

Anyway, what shocks would you guys recommend? Not looking to spend a fortune but want something solid. Maybe something in the 90 to 110mm range? It's really just used for fun, romping around on, and getting beat up.

I'm sure this has been covered before, so I apologize, but I was having trouble finding threads focused on SCX10 II's. Which surprised me considering this is a common problem.

Thanks in advance!
TFitzPat87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2016, 10:59 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Shock recommendations

Traxxas big bore shocks with axial 14x70 springs, you wont find anything better!
Haziza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:59 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Go for the Traxxas big bore shocks. They are what I have installed now. I have not had time to tune them, but I am running losi 2.75" 2.0lb (pink) Springs with 30 wt oil in front. I believe I will change to the 3 hole pistons. They come with 2 hole installed. The rears are setup with losi 2.75" 1.4lb (gold) Springs with 50wt oil. Again I think I want to change to 3 hole pistons. It's very slow. I may try a few oils first. I also bought losi 2.3lb Springs. I may try some axial 70mm 1.75 lb springs too.

I think the stock Springs are 2.63 lb front and 1.12 lb in the rear.
Traxxas 93mm big bore shocks - TRA 2661 ~$15/pr

Springs guide

http://www.teamlosi.ru/techtips/spring_chart.htm

I will be posting up when I get some time to tune this setup. It has just been crazy here. 2 birthdays for my girls in the last 2 weeks. Huge thanksgiving and now my mom's 60th party is at my place this next weekend. It may be after christmas.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:54 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Yup. Dollar-for-dollar nothing beats Traxxas shocks. If "bulletproof" is what you're looking forward, Traxxas is where you go, and their shocks are no exception.
ajsmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:37 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Installed some Gmade Diaphragm 93mm shocks a week ago. They're a bit thicker than stock, but seems a lot more durable. And leak free.
IVIaarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:45 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thanks, guys! Appreciate the info! I'll definitely give those a looksy.

Anyone have any experience with these... Gmade XD Piggyback Shock 103mm (2) ??? I assume they'd add a little bit of lift, but I plan on putting weight down low on the axles. Again, just for bashing around and seeing what I can drive over. If I ever check or enter a comp, I'll make any necessary adjustments.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:05 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I would suggest the 93mm, the 103 will add quite a bit of lift, and make your wheelbase look shorter/mess with geometry.
The piggybacks are identical to the diaphragms apart from the top so should be good. Difference is the piggybacks have more adjustment options.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:34 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVIaarten View Post
I would suggest the 93mm, the 103 will add quite a bit of lift, and make your wheelbase look shorter/mess with geometry.
The piggybacks are identical to the diaphragms apart from the top so should be good. Difference is the piggybacks have more adjustment options.
Which ones are the diaphragms? I don't really need all the adjustment. Just a solid shock that won't leak.

What length are the big bores? They look short on RPP and it doesn't mention length.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:35 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFitzPat87 View Post
Which ones are the diaphragms? I don't really need all the adjustment. Just a solid shock that won't leak.

What length are the big bores? They look short on RPP and it doesn't mention length.
The part number I gave you is for the 93mm. Stock is 90mm. 103 is way too tall. Think of it this way. It's only 13mm or 1/2", but it's a 15% increase in height from a scale perspective. That is huge. A stock rubicon has a 17" ride height, so an equivalent lift would be about 2.5". That is more like a mud truck than a rock crawler. One thing to also remember is that more articulation is not necessarily better.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:06 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorider View Post
The part number I gave you is for the 93mm. Stock is 90mm. 103 is way too tall. Think of it this way. It's only 13mm or 1/2", but it's a 15% increase in height from a scale perspective. That is huge. A stock rubicon has a 17" ride height, so an equivalent lift would be about 2.5". That is more like a mud truck than a rock crawler. One thing to also remember is that more articulation is not necessarily better.

Thanks! Yeah, somehow missed that initially. I ended up going with the 93mm G-made Diaphragms. I was finding the big bores at a couple different prices, and it still looked like I needed to order springs as well.

RPP for the win! 4 shocks, set of "soft" springs for the rear, some green slime, and $5 off. Plus somehow they manage to get my stuff from CA to MI in 2 days (3 days tops).

Thanks again! If these happen to give me trouble, I'll check out the Big Bores down the road.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:24 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Sounds like a plan. Give us some feedback on what you think about the shocks. Mostly interested in leaks and performance.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:40 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorider View Post
Sounds like a plan. Give us some feedback on what you think about the shocks. Mostly interested in leaks and performance.

I recently installed a set of these myself.
First impressions; they seem very solid, require a little spacer between the shocks and the shock hoops since they're a bit thicker. Standard (I think medium) springs seems a tad on the firm side, but I've added some weight recently, so I'm going to let them settle in and see how I like them.

The truck is sitting a bit higher, but torque twist (that I had with leaky rear shocks) is completely gone.
I think I'll end up removing the rubber bump stops to get a bit more travel. Should be no problem since the diaphragm can handle full compression the way I set them up (low pressure). That should give the same up-travel as the stock shocks.

I'll let you know if I develop any leaks with some more run time on them, but they seem solid so far.

Last edited by IVIaarten; 12-12-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:15 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

I'll definitely post what I think. I'm no pro but as long as they don't leak and don't seem slow or stiff, I'll be happy.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:34 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

As requested;

Can confirm the top plastic ball is a bit too small and doesn't snap into place. I've stuck with them, but added a plastic washer that was included in my scx10-2 kit between the shock and the bolt to make sure it stays put.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:37 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Cool man! Thanks again! This will be a good help for any others who run into the same issue.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:54 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

I put in the big bores, but can't figure out a good spring for them
bonedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:05 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Blue is fantastic on all 4 corners of a heavy rig. Light rig I like soft up front and medium rear. Right now my daughters stock V2 has pink on all 4's (looks mostly. Lol) but I will be going mediums in the rear. To much twist. So in theory a stiffer rear spring has always been the treat for me. You just have to experiment and find the right balance for your rig.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:03 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Makes total since. Stiffer spring in the rear keeps the vehicle flat/planted. Light springs in the front allows the rig to contour to the terrain. Thanks for the advise BC!
doubler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:32 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Are you referring to the losi or traxxas or axial 14x70?
Old 12-18-2016, 11:36 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

I believe I bought the xl big bores 93 mm. I put on the mini losi springs and using the dlux setup, looks cool and more scale but not impressed with the ride height, seem to sag to much. Used the firms all around.

Tags
scx10.2 scx10 ii, shock absorber, shocks

Shock recommendations - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shock recommendations Fowlboy Axial SCX-10 2 04-07-2013 03:26 PM
Shock recommendations????? hatefulboy South Carolina 7 09-03-2012 05:59 PM
Shock Recommendations bschimmel General Crawlers 8 05-25-2010 07:45 PM
shock recommendations Crawlin' Axial AX-10 Scorpion 36 04-09-2008 09:12 PM
Shock Recommendations? gregrocks90046 Traxxas Crawlers 3 01-04-2006 05:41 PM