Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: MrLee1990 Nukizer SCX10ii Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2016, 02:24 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Hi all. first scale/trail rig ive built and new to this side of RC.
How it currently sits:

So it all started when i brought my daughter a 1/18 ecx temper crawler for her birthday as she wanted a car to play with when i was out with the SCT. It wasnt fast and went everywhere, perfect! Then i ended up wanting to spend money on hers to make it better so decided in the end to just buy my own.

so i purchased a kit and a Axial jeep Nukizer body. Waited a month for the kit to come into stock and then built it. Only really get an hour or so free time in the evenings so took a while to build.

Had a couple of strange bits like the slop in the gearbox for the spur shaft but have resolved this by spacers. now a little bit tighter to turn then the standard one but no slack so i will see how it goes.

Now im still awaiting electrics to turn up so will post those as and when i get my hands on them.

Anyway enough chat time for some pictures!!!

So the body turned up first so i got straight to chopping it out. The original idea was to put wooden slats coming up from the sides of the bed like an old farm truck so the wood was purchased.

I got 3 different sized. some oak planks for a dolls house and some pine beams for the verticals.

I then got to cutting holes in the bed for the uprights to sit. plan was to have the thicker uprights in the corners and two smaller uprights in between.

And thats when the rum came out and i thought it may aswell have a proper truck bed. Only problem was i didnt quite think how much work it would be untill it was too late

I then started to work out a way to make the bed as low as possible. So i angled the shocks forward and mounted them through a vacant hole already in the chassis. It did raise the rear abit but i also gained more articulation so i was happy.

I found with a test fit of the body that the rear bumper stuck out a far way and you could see daylight between the body and the bumper. so i did some chopping to pull it in closer. i then cut small sections of the body off to allow a nice snug fit.

Heres just a couple of shots of the low bed and the gained articulation.

A friend of mine is also building one of these atm and he purchased a tamiya unimog shell. he is building a whole new back for it as the tamiya is much shorter. so he kindly gifted me the rear off the unimog. Tada truck bed

The rear bumper was still winding me up so i decided to slightly bob tail it and worry about a bumper later.

For the rear mount i simply chopped the end off one of the spare body mounts and screwed it through the hole on the bumper mount for the rear.

Bed mock fit. it is a little wider then the nukizer bed so it angles it a wee bit. but i have a plan to come that should sort this at a later date.

So i cut the back inline with the body and solved my bumper issue. for the bumper i simply chopped the mounts off the original bumper. drilled two holes in a steel tube and bobs your uncle, bumper!

Few more parts to arrive and then some more cutting, chopping and bodging. Keep an eye out!!!

Also one question. i have to make inner arches for the rear. now my plan is to stencil round the original arches where they touch the bed and simply chop it out and move it in, any other ideas for this would be appreciated!!!

So the electrics should be arriving on Tuesday... have purchased an axial brushed motor and a cheap waterproof ecx as funds tight at the moment. Also have a receiver for my gt3c and a 17kg turning servo on the way...

Sneak peak

Last edited by MrLee1990; 02-13-2017 at 03:37 AM. Reason: update top pic
MrLee1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2017, 03:40 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: MrLee1990 Nukizer SCX10ii Build

so car is running lovely. awaiting some new shocks so i can tackle the front articulation and droop issue im having. apart from that shes been good fun.

was all going well till my daughter fell on the car and snapped half the bed off. so mocked up a 0.5mm steel frame to slide in and bolted back together with m2 hardware.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:35 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

that canoe looks awesome on there!

and I see you had trouble painting the top ledges of the bed, too, lol. Yours looks good though, mine looks terrible.
nate94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate94gt View Post
that canoe looks awesome on there!

and I see you had trouble painting the top ledges of the bed, too, lol. Yours looks good though, mine looks terrible.
yes far to small for me and my man hands. canoe is an action man one. £2 bargin. you running a nukizer?
Old 02-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLee1990 View Post
yes far to small for me and my man hands. canoe is an action man one. £2 bargin. you running a nukizer?
Yup. almost finished. I ordered a new bumper so I can use the bracket so I can mount the rear scx10 II bumper to fit the nukizer body. I did a metallic black paint job w/ a black backing, and its not bad, but up in those rails it looks pretty crappy. I don't think I have any pics showing it
Old 02-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate94gt View Post
Yup. almost finished. I ordered a new bumper so I can use the bracket so I can mount the rear scx10 II bumper to fit the nukizer body. I did a metallic black paint job w/ a black backing, and its not bad, but up in those rails it looks pretty crappy. I don't think I have any pics showing it
stick o a couple in my inbox when you have some pics up there seems to be a fair few of these bodys kicking around now.
as for bumpers still not at that stage. i am waiting for some rod to turn up and see if i can make anything i like. want to keep it as close as possible to the body and simple.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Check the for sale section and put an ad up on the wanted section
Old 03-05-2017, 03:11 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Then the new shocks and wheels came and checkerplated the roof rack and added camping box. have some stoves and stuff in the post.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:44 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I like it!

Tags
1.9, newbie, nukizer, scx10ii, truck bed

MrLee1990 Nukizer SCX10ii Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brandon's SCX10II Nukizer Brandon Axial SCX10 II 57 01-02-2018 06:49 PM
Allanon1965's SCX10ii build allanon1965 Axial SCX10 II 70 10-16-2017 01:10 PM