Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Post up! Any new upgrades coming for SCX10.2?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #21
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Post up! Any new upgrades coming for SCX10.2?

Knight Customs does some nice looking inner fenders.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/23...ionId=60589480
They are very pricey, but are Shapeways SLS, which is far superior to the DIY FDM prints that are around.
I was going to do some myself, but since James is already there i've go straight on the a D90 body build instead. Watch this space for some cool Land Rover SCX10ii parts.
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2017, 02:06 PM   #22
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by powder4breakfast View Post

The product looks spot on; but, the price seems steep. A profit is fair and he created the product, so I understand and won't bash on that. I'm just curious on what kind of mark up that is with materials once you take the actual printer out - assuming it's owned and paid for.
Certainly with Shapeways stuff, which is high quality but pricey, the mark up for a designer is unlikely to be very great. The prints themselves are the big cost. A 10 or 15% markup is probably pretty common, and when you factor in the dozens if not 100's of hours of highly skilled work that can go into some of the designs, you see the profitability is laughable. Guys are doing it as a hobby that subsidises itself, rather that actually trying to make money.
What you are getting for your money is some (sometimes!) very nice, almost bespoke designed parts for a very niche market of customers. You get cool parts that not everybody has.
A set of injection moulded inner fenders will be a fraction of the price, and that skews our ideas about what parts should cost, but a manufacturer would need to sell tens of thousands of them to really make a profit.
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Dbx makes some valid points. Pretty much everything Shapeways does is files from independent people who are designing for their own fun. The majority of the cost of building these is material cost and machine time. I know what the cost of material is they're using, and although it wouldn't sound expensive, it adds up quick. I'll save the details but that's where the cost comes from.
TFitzPat87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:46 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Great insight. Thank you for the input and explanations. It definitely helps understand the cost better.
powder4breakfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hop ups, hop-ups, scx10 ii, scx10.2, upgrades

Post up! Any new upgrades coming for SCX10.2? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 Noise coming from the axle UNDEAD_DC Axial SCX-10 7 03-01-2014 05:08 PM
post upgrades!!!!!! axialdude1 Traxxas Crawlers 16 05-11-2013 06:58 PM