Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Project: Well Rounded (Fitz's SCX10.2 XJ)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Project: Well Rounded (Fitz's SCX10.2 XJ)

Hi All,

New to RC since early Dec. 2016 when my SCX10.2 showed up. I come from the 1:1 XJ world, so when I found out about Axials V2 I had to jump on it. Being a guy who likes to work and tinker, I obviously got the "kit" version so I could put it together.

Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of the initial build, but I'm breaking it down now, so I decided to put up a build thread to keep track of upgrades and progress.

Current state:

Name:  170114.jpg
Views: 1215
Size:  182.7 KB

Name:  170114_1.jpg
Views: 1295
Size:  177.2 KB

Current Upgrades:
  • SSD black D-window beadlocks, and a set of some Chinese black 8 hole beadlocks.
  • Traxxas Big Bores (93mm). Love them, but they're slow even with 30w and 3-hole pistons, so I'm gonna try some 20w and see how that goes.
  • Body is still clear lexan, but that will change the second I get a decent day to paint (Michigan winters suck!).
  • Beef Patties all around (brass color)

Upgrades to come:
  • Fast Eddy's sealed bearing kit (why it's being broken down now)
  • SSD Knuckles
  • SSD C-Hubs
  • SSD Lockouts
  • SSD Weights Front & Rear
  • 1.9 Proline Hyrux's
  • 1.9 Falken Wildpeaks (not a big fan of the skinnier tire though)
  • Vanquish 105's (most likely black)
  • Freqeskinz wrap (urban graffiti)
  • ScalerFab front bumper (it's a mix of the SSD and JCR bumpers but with some trail bars)

I should have skipped the Beef Patties and gone with all the SSD stuff to begin with. I wanted the weight all around, but I didn't want rotational weight, so onto the SSD stuff it is.

This thing is really just for bashing around with, climbing whatever I can find, and just all around fun. I may check out a comp at some point, but I'm not paying attention to rules, so I don't know if I could even run.

Any and all recommendations, advice, or criticism is welcome! I've caught the RC Crawling bug to go along with my 1:1 XJ Trailing bug. If you come from the XJ world, you know how that bug can get you!

Anyway, more to come and more pictures as things progress. Hopefully better quality too. Currently just have my phone for pics. I'll also try not to be so "long winded" going forward.

Thanks for watching!

Last edited by TFitzPat87; 01-15-2017 at 05:25 PM.
TFitzPat87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2017, 02:45 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Project: Well Rounded (Fitz's SCX10.2 XJ)

Oh, and here's my 1:1. It's also a work in progress. It's being built to take on any trail, but still be able to drive down the highway at 80mph. It's may Daily Driver.

Name:  150807.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  109.9 KB

Last edited by TFitzPat87; 01-14-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I have the big bores...as for the rebound,the holes are to small no matter what weight,or piston...they are made to cusion landings from jumps..i have the mediums up front and the large in back and what i did was take the 3 hole pisistons and cut a small slice out where the holes are. U have to becareful not to cut to much but if u do u can go up to thicker oil to compensate. I settled with 27.5 and cut pistons and it feels like real shocks..quicker than stock but not flimsy..
FordFixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:23 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFixer View Post
I have the big bores...as for the rebound,the holes are to small no matter what weight,or piston...they are made to cusion landings from jumps..i have the mediums up front and the large in back and what i did was take the 3 hole pisistons and cut a small slice out where the holes are. U have to becareful not to cut to much but if u do u can go up to thicker oil to compensate. I settled with 27.5 and cut pistons and it feels like real shocks..quicker than stock but not flimsy..
Happen to have a picture of this? I was thinking about drilling the holes out just a tad if the 20w wasn't enough. I played with them a little today with 30w and screwing the cap on with the piston in different positions. They're better now, but still a little slow.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:27 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Sadly i dont, but drilling them will achieve the same. I used to drill my buggy and s/c shocks...i tried 20 but it was still very sluggish,atleast for me. Dont be shy with drilling...lol....the chunk i took out was alot and it made them pretty damn near perfect.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
FordFixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:58 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Welcome...Its a sickness that costs almost as much as the real thing since you cant have just one.

The SSD weights arent comp legal, but other than that, nothing you have done (or plan on doing) would prevent you from doing comps if you do decide to do that. They are very fun and usually show where you and your vehicle need to improve.

Beef Patties are obviously rotating weight, but its at the center of the axle/wheel so it is not as bad as weight around the wheels. I run them on the front wheels of pretty much every truck I have.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:40 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Welcome! I too came over from the 1:1 XJ world, but long before the 10.2 came out. The Colonel covered all I had to say about tiny trucks so far.

Nice daily. I have two 01s, a black Limited DD and a Patriot Blue Classic trail rig on 33s

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:21 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys! Where might I find the rules for comps? And which class would most likely be up my alley?

Yeah, I'll probably just roll with the beef patties for now. Will most likely upgrade to the SSD c-hubs, knuckles and lockouts for the extra strength. The V2 is pretty solid as is, so I may spread things out.

I have a thing for wheels, so even though I don't need any, I want some. I'm flirting with the idea of painting the SSD D-windows. Black is solid, but I want to change it a tad for a different look.

Jeepy, I love XJ's. This is my 2nd, and first I've been able to modify. The 00-01's scare me though because of the notorious 0331 head crack. Current ones a 97, but the original was a 00 that surprisingly didn't have a cracked head until I got sandwiched on my way home from work one day. Oh well, the 97 is WAY cleaner for a Michigan vehicle.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:50 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Here's how the body sits now. A bit scraped up because I still run it when it's not too cold. Been masked off for a while waiting for paint on the inside, so freqeskinz can go on the outside. Thinking about scuffing up the fender flares and painting them with bedliner on the outside.

Name:  170115.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  131.4 KB

Also forgot I added a couple Axial light bars. 5" fits perfect in the roof rack, and the short one I have in the front bumper. That will be mounted to the trail bars on my scalerfab bumper when I get it.

Freqeskinz...

Name:  170115_1.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  178.8 KB
Old 01-17-2017, 02:36 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

This came in today! Don't really NEED it, as the "slop" is only in and out on mine, but figured I'd give it a try. If it rids any of that in/out play, I'll consider it a win.

Name:  170117.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  146.0 KB

My Proline Hyrax's and their dual stage foams should be in this week. Hopefully I can squeeze the SSD inner rings in them. Heard they can be tight on beadlocks. I'll make it happen one way or the other. Pics and updates to come this weekend when I have time to wrench on it.

Last edited by TFitzPat87; 01-17-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:38 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I just mounted up the ssd d holes to hyrax tires on sunday. No problems for me and I love the combo.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
not-required is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:47 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

^^^^They're so sexy! Did you us the proline dual stage foams too? Also, how many vent holes you put in em?
Old 01-17-2017, 05:13 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

I used the stock foam they came with. I ordered the CI foam but accidentally ordered the wrong one. I put 4 vent holes in each tire.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:42 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by not-required View Post
I used the stock foam they came with. I ordered the CI foam but accidentally ordered the wrong one. I put 4 vent holes in each tire.

I would have gone with the CI's but I saw where a few people said the Hyrax's and PL 1.9 dual stages were a great combo.

I was thinking 3 holes, but maybe I'll do 4 with the leather punch on the smallest setting.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:05 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

I made the hole with the smallest mip driver then slid the tire on the bigger part of the shaft. I'll probably order better foams but I'm happy as it is for now.

Last edited by not-required; 01-17-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFitzPat87 View Post
This came in today! Don't really NEED it, as the "slop" is only in and out on mine, but figured I'd give it a try. If it rids any of that in/out play, I'll consider it a win.

Attachment 354136

My Proline Hyrax's and their dual stage foams should be in this week. Hopefully I can squeeze the SSD inner rings in them. Heard they can be tight on beadlocks. I'll make it happen one way or the other. Pics and updates to come this weekend when I have time to wrench on it.
You will be amazed at how much slop is removed after installing that shaft. I got mine in the mail today and have already installed it. I had an unbelievable amount of in/out play with the stock shaft and once I installed the Vanquish shaft it's gone. I was really worried about the amount of slop that was in my kit and now it's good to go.
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:44 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack12982 View Post
You will be amazed at how much slop is removed after installing that shaft. I got mine in the mail today and have already installed it. I had an unbelievable amount of in/out play with the stock shaft and once I installed the Vanquish shaft it's gone. I was really worried about the amount of slop that was in my kit and now it's good to go.
Good to hear. I really wasn't worried about mine. I had maybe an 1/8" tops of in/out play. I mounted the motor pinion gear in a fashion so regardless of where the shaft was in it's "play" it would have as much contact as possible.

That being said, since I'm about to break it down to install sealed bearings, add some marine grease, and waterproof everything, I mine as well install it and just never think about it again.

Thanks for watching! Hopefully some good updates to come this weekend.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:09 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Well, I made the mistake about reading further into the Xtra Speed axles, and now I have a set on the way. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) Tad bit more pricey on Amazon, but shipping is supposed to be faster. Order was just a couple cents over $50 for the pair.

Like pretty much everyone else has said, it's worth the cost to see if they'll hold up well. Plus 100 grams extra of weight is totally worth it. They most likely won't get in until after I've torn everything down, and gotten it back together. Because of that I may take them to my work, blast them, and paint them a different color. I have a thing for the Cast Iron Ceramic color that rustoleum has. I thin that'd be a cool look.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:07 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFitzPat87 View Post

Attachment 354136

Where did u got this from?
Traulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:38 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traulus View Post
Where did u got this from?
I actually ordered it from Ebay, but RPP hobby has them, and I'm sure others do. It's a vanquish product, so you can go to their site and order direct.

Tags
axial, scx10 ii, scx10 xj, scx10.2

Project: Well Rounded (Fitz's SCX10.2 XJ) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rounded wheel hubs optikalillushun Newbie General 3 11-30-2012 03:25 PM
Anyone else with rounded wheel hex hubs? Maxx_Savage Venom Creeper 14 09-22-2010 02:27 PM
Rounded Axle set screws Kanine38 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 09-09-2010 11:58 PM
Flat or rounded carcuss...........TIRE? RealDeel Tires and Wheels 1 07-09-2008 01:56 PM
help with rounded off screws.. mudhunter Tools, and Procedures 12 12-01-2006 07:39 PM