Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Let's Talk Tire Foams

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2016, 07:57 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Let's Talk Tire Foams

Do you go without? Do use the stock ones as-is? Do you run the stock ones modified?

If I end up using foams, I'd prefer using closed cell ones as opposed to the open cells that come in the kit. (closed cell doesn't absorb water) Are there any good makers of closed cell crawler foams that you guys could recommend?

Thanks!
ajsmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2016, 08:08 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Let's Talk Tire Foams

Im running ci foams in the front to prevent tire role. I use the stock ones in the rear depending on how heavy the vehicle is
greengoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:27 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Crawler Innovations foams all the way.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:47 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Any particular model that's best suited to the SCX10? Do they make them out of closed cell foam?
Old 10-14-2016, 08:54 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I run nothing but air in all my scalers to get the 1:1 feel.

Jk... in my comp 2.2pro and 2.2s rigs Crawler innovations foams is my choice. comp cut inner soft outter front. Standard inner, med outter rear.
The scaler I'm running now axial g6 Rubicon stock foams and tires woks well. If I were going to compete with it I'd run crawler innovations foams.
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Go over to the vendors market and watch some of the videos Eddie has up from Crawler Innovations. I always ran the Deuces Wild foams which are great for trailing (closed cell). I am going to try the Lil Nova's (closed cell inner with open cell outer) on my SCX10 II as I like to crawl quite a bit too, probably more than I trail actually. I'll probably run soft outers on the front and medium outers in the rear.

Sent from my mobile device
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:41 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

1.9 CI Foam line explanation

Also, website has a foam guide too.
Foam Guide

Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:51 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapped-out View Post
I run nothing but air in all my scalers to get the 1:1 feel.

Jk... in my comp 2.2pro and 2.2s rigs Crawler innovations foams is my choice. comp cut inner soft outter front. Standard inner, med outter rear.
The scaler I'm running now axial g6 Rubicon stock foams and tires woks well. If I were going to compete with it I'd run crawler innovations foams.
You joke, but keep in mind my only other experience with crawlers is my Trail Trekker, and almost no one runs them with foams. Yes, huge weight difference. I'd heard of people running the SCX10 without, despite the fact it seems too heavy for that, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask before I take the time to glue em up.

Speaking of that, are there any good beadlocks out there that don't cost more than your average motor/esc combo? Plastic is fine. I don't mind gluing tires on the first time, but replacing glued tires is such a massive PITA...
Old 10-14-2016, 09:56 AM   #9

with the dual stages... do you guys put the outer in the wheel and then the inner or do you try to stuff them all in at once?

i put the outer in and then the inner. but sometimes its a huge pita to try and get them lined up in the tire and evened out properly, and i sometimes have a outer thats all buggered up and sideways when i remove the foams.

reason i ask is because ive thought about gluing the inner and outer together. ive glued the inners to the wheel ring before and that helps a bit to keep them centered and not walking back and forth.

i wish wheel manufacturers would cut a channel into their wheel rings so the foams had something to grab onto and help keep them centered.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:57 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

ProLine's besdlocks are great. So are Axial 8 holes. Both are cheap and durable. SSD makes some great steelies for a bit more.

Badhoopty, I always put the outer in the tire then the inner. I just make sure the outer is positioned well and evened out before installing the inner. I also use comp cut miners which seems to keep a bite on the outer foams to keep them from shifting. I know what you mean about the inner foams sliding in and out on the wheel but I've been fortunate to only have a little movement on most of my sets. The worst was a set of gearhead aluminum wheels that let the foams slide a good half inch in and out. I found some tire foam tape that's made by MIP actually. Put it on the headlock ring and worked it into the foam carefully, no more sliding. Axial and Proline have a channel in the inner ring that helps a lot with holding the foam in place.

Here you go, they're called MIP Stickees

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...296092/reviews

Last edited by SCREAMER; 10-14-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:20 AM   #11

i was just curious if ive been doing it right all this time.

its more the inner ring beadlock design wheels (vp & rc4wd) that i have the problems with the foams shifting, because the inner beadlock rings are most the time flush with the inner ring, nothing is there to lock the foams into place. i will get the foams in the tires and center the inner ring in the foam, and then just along the perimeter dab a little ca or shoegoo before i assemble the wheel.

btw the supershafty wheels have a nice little channel in the middle.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:30 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I've always inserted the dual stage foams together. Just squeeze them in the middle to make an "8" shape and install one side then other. Then I just work the inner/outer and tire around to get it seat. Sometimes I have to pull the outer in a few places to get it to fill the tire. I haven't had any issues with getting CI foams to fit this way but there are 1,000 ways to do it, so do what works best.

As far as the foams shifting, glue them as mentioned and try inserting them as a unit. I haven't had any issues with foam shifting. Or once the foams and inner ring are installed, use some double sided tape sections to hold the inner foam to the inner ring?
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:23 AM   #13

Well I am a new crawler. Also I Have a MAX STONE 1/5 Scale ( over grown scale). So I Already can hear the comments about that. Anyways I found some free Memory Foam Pads on CL for FREE!! Then I found to Pieces of Pipe the right size and Use them like cookie cutters to cut the foam. I like the way they "perfoam" lol. But I Honestly I really don't have a clue to what I am Doing.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
jlatuala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Thread Necro!

So I FINALLY bought myself a nice set of tires and beadlocks. I went with Proline Super Swamper XL 1.9s on SSD Steel D-hole wheels. I've been looking at the Crawler Innovations Lil' Novas, Comp Cut, Soft Front/Medium Rear. I need advice on which diameter inner to go with. Yes, I did watch the CI video, but I'm still not sure which to go with.

Which do you think I should get for this tire? My truck is fairly light, mind you. Other than the steel wheels, I don't have much in the way of heavy accessories. And I don't intend to add much, with the exception being (eventually) knuckle weights).
Old 01-19-2017, 11:26 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

My personal favorites are stock proline memory foams in my flat iron with a cut outside corner for my rigs up to about 10-11lbs. (I run 1.9 flat irons, 1.9 flat ironXL's, and 2.2 flat irons) However, after two of my rigs ended up being over 11lbs, those memory foams didnt seem to like it so I went to two stage CI foams with medium outer in the rear and a hard outer in the front. Seems to hold up to the weight much better.
thurlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I'd go with 4.5 inners.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:00 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
I'd go with 4.5 inners.
That's what I was looking for. Ordered. Thanks!

Let's Talk Tire Foams - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire foams? slimeball Newbie General 4 03-10-2016 06:20 PM
school talk and job talk Logan0987 Chit Chat 24 07-06-2014 01:14 PM
tire foams cowboy_crawler Axial Wraith 7 03-25-2013 04:33 PM