Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Buy or build?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2017, 06:46 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Buy or build?

I'm looking to get a new project going.
I was at a car show locally and played around at a Axial booth with there SCX10 and 10.2
Really liked the idea. I kinda always wanted a scale crawler but didn't think I would like it as much as they are slow. And by slow I mean compared to my custom built traxxas 4x4 slash I made.

Not to bore you to death with the story. I'm thinking of getting my self the scx10.2
How ever... knowing my self, it would never stay stock for long. I like to bling things out before it breaks. Don't fix it if it's not broken does not sit with me.. lol.
So Should I buy the kit and go from there? Or should I just buy parts all separately and build my own?

Pros and cons of both please. Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BombShellRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2017, 07:17 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Buy or build?

The kit comes with all kinds of goodies. the shocks are nice and overall the truck is really well made. As for building up out of parts you might actually pay more as i think the axles alone are almost $200 to build. So $350 for the kit is a steal. the rtr is a nice option if you want to get the truck up and going right away. I did this with my deadbolt i had. when i sold it though it wasn't much like how i got it. the radio and esc were pretty much the only things still stock. its more what you think you want to do.
lilws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:55 PM   #3

For me, the enjoyment of building the kit myself outweighs every other factor... although the upgraded parts are also nice! I've also been generally unimpressed by the electronics included with stock kits, and would much prefer to use my own radio and high-quality servos, ESCs, and motors.
E. Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:04 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Might want to browse rcmart looking at xtraspeed stuff. Most of the parts are simply stock parts but made with aluminum or steel. Same stock look, much heavier and stronger. I priced out doing a complete project with parts for all 3 of my rigs from both rpp and rcmart. Rpp price-$198 total. Rcmart-$137. Both shipped. All of the items are comparable. So far, quality has been fantastic and parts have been very durable. Just an idea if you want to build from the ground up or upgrade to some heavy sturdy parts.
thurlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:55 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys. Yea I think I'll be getting the kit for $350. I came to this conclusion do to the fact that I will also get a RTR for my son. And the parts I upgrade on mine can be back up for his when he breaks something. He is most likely to young for a RC of this value. But he is a very bright kid. And picks things up very fast. So what the heck! Might as well get him a RTR and hope he doesn't bust it up to bad. Lol

Old 02-01-2017, 03:08 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Kit & RTR are different drive line setups.
Personally I would do a double kit & buy inexpensive electronics for the other kit.
ESC $21, Motor $13, Radio $35, & Servo $22 = $91

Kit 350 + 91 = $441
RTR $410
$31 difference for Gearbox, Aluminum Links, Pretty shocks, Roof Rack $13, & Clear Body
Although the RTR would be a lot less work.
Regardless The panrod bar mounts have been one of the only odd weak spots I have seen so far.
Better tires (depending on terrain)
Also pull the front bumper off, trim the tube webbing & drill another hole to put the front bumper in deeper.
GLwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:19 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

GLwagon, thanks for the info! i think ill do just that!! 2 kits sounds way better now. i dont mind putting them together. and my son can pick his color for the jeep!
Old 02-01-2017, 09:24 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I agree on getting 2 kits. One, you get the knowledge of how everything works for when you do upgrade. Two, you get the new drivetrain and parts. Three, you get to pick your electronics, even cheap ones that are better than rtr. Four you get clear bodies and unglued tires should you want to swap anything out or sell off parts to offset the price. Five, the pure joy of building yourself. Six, the second kit will go together much faster than the first.
I can keep going, but you get the point.
monster 550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:38 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

here is another question. came across TSS SCXHR Chassis. are they really worth it? compared to the original?
Old 02-01-2017, 10:32 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

It has ran across my mind, but adding weight low down & other bits are a bigger performance gain. It would be one of the last things I may do.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:59 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I have both , rtr an kit, the rtr is okay but only good thing is the axles, rest of it is a lot of the old scx10 design, an the price tag is a little to high also, the kit def has some goodies, beefier links better all metal gear tranny, aluminum shocks, even think the lexan is thicker on the kit body imo, I would go for the kit version you will not be disappointed, just my two cents.
fomoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:25 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Great info! Thank you all! Last question for now. Currie axles? Or just xtra speed or replacement? Or better options? How much better? Worth it?

Old 02-01-2017, 12:58 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Can't go wrong with vanquish.
monster 550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:26 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I have one x-speed axle on the front & other than cleaning off over spray paint on bearing surfaces it is nice.
My mods are simple...
Aluminum: Rims, Rear tubes, Front c-hubs, Knuckles, front bumper mount, & front shock towers.
Brass: spring retainers.
Steel: MIP Drive shafts.
Rubber: Duratrax Showdowns

Soon: Samix bent Titanium links, & China overdrive front ring & pinion set.

The Currie axle would be the most reliable option.

Buy or build? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
build or buy? PileDriver Axial SCX-10 22 08-14-2014 12:33 AM
buy or build ridgecrest78 Axial SCX-10 3 10-15-2012 12:31 PM
Build or buy? crash Chit Chat 18 03-31-2010 05:52 PM
to build or to buy xpnsvtoys Newbie General 3 12-31-2009 04:24 PM
SHould I build or BUY mattman1147 EnRoute Berg 39 11-25-2009 11:00 AM