Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Toka's crazy plum build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2017, 03:29 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Toka's crazy plum build

I didn't get much work done this weekend. Had to work on 1:1 car. What I did do was start polishing the rings on the wheels. The machining is real smooth on the lips so it didn't take much to get a mirror finish on them.

Pictures really don't show how clear the reflections are on the lips.

I a thinking about a contrasting color for the centers. Options I have come up with are black. Which is way too common. Spaying dull coat over the raw aluminum to give a flat silver. Or body color.

Then again I could try doing a Jeep gold also.

Last edited by toka100; 03-25-2017 at 03:33 PM.
toka100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2017, 06:23 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Little of work this weekend on the Jeep.

Built a mount for the rc4wd high lift jack. Not sure how well it will be on the trail yet. It does sit lower then the roof rack in overall height so it might be ok.

The lower mount is 22g steel plate with a 1.5mm screw threaded into the jack foot.

I was able to move the front bumper in even more then before. The side plates now line up with the wheel well. I had to grind about 1/8" out of the grill to keep the winch on the bumper. Just looks better. It should also help out on the approach angle.

I had an old honcho bed in my parts boxes. With a little fitting and cutting the bed made some decent front wheel wells. Keeping it with axial parts is I always a plus.

I also relocated all my electronics to the front. Give me some extra room for the interior. Once I finish that I will start working on the suspension. With all the extra weight I have been adding up top I know what I already would have built wouldn't be enough. Even the stock rear springs I had to change out with the older style honcho kit 2 stage springs
Old 01-13-2019, 03:42 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Default Toka's crazy plum build

After almost 2 years sitting on a shelf it is time for me to start working on this truck again. I really lost interest in it and have been working on my full size cars. Now it’s cold so time to build some scale stuff.

Big reason I started working on it again is because of this.

I finally bought myself a decent 3d printer. A Ender 3. Sure it’s only $200 but it has a large build size and prints great. At least I think it prints great. I found a few files online for interior parts and other things so it has been running almost non-stop the last week or so.

Even added some parts to the printer itself.

I added some eBay bumpers. They fit alright. The rear is a bit wider then the hard body

I also am waiting on a hacked gtb3 and the 6 channel reciver to arrive from banggood.

I have been modifying some of the files I found to give the truck a better scale look. Smaller wheel wells are the main issue I have with them. I am also going to try to make a captured spring front suspension with this now.

I also added a cantilever rear suspension a while back. It has tons to flex. Almost too much. I have been debating on ordering some nylon filament to make some limiting straps for the rear.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

Last edited by toka100; 01-13-2019 at 03:49 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:10 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

looking good! would love to get my own printer!
Stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:46 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Built a few parts today.

Fuel injected sbc engine.

It slips over the motor. I have the ssd scale tranny on it was so I’m getting ready for it.

First design for the lower spring and shock mounts. It was a rough print so it’s not very strong right now. It did split from just threading in a screw too far.

There is a slight clearance issue with the panhard bar. So a few changes need to be made but not major. Also bought a pair of 80mm king shocks for the front.

Also started on the rear battery mount/ rear cargo area

Still a little work to be done back there.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:14 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Upper spring and shock mount on its first attempt. Looks like I need a deeper relief for the headlights. The lower shock mount needs to be lower to get some more travel. I might also move the upper spring perch up a few mm. The ride height even with the axial white springs is a bit higher then I want.

All part of the trial and error testing process I guess. Other then that everything is straight with no binding thought the full travel that it has.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:26 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

I have gotten to the point where I think I have finished all the wheel wells and floor pan.

I cleaned up the front and have plenty of clearance. I think I might try to shrink them down a bit now. Give them a more scale appearance.

The rear is a fairly scale looking. No giant tubs in the back.

A center floor pans that are flat for seats and such. I also picked up some hot racing original scx sliders so I changed the mounting to use them.

They fit the body quite nice. Might bring them in a few millimeters.

Also finally came up with a cool rear body mount. Still need to clean it up a bit. It locks onto the bumper mounts with the pivoting arms. It was all printed as one piece.

The mounting holes on the body will be covered up by the spare tire. So no visible mountings

Last edited by toka100; 02-05-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:00 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Got to hand it to a-main. Placed an order yesterday around 4 pm. Wanted to get it by Friday so I picked the next day option. I figured since it was later in the day it would arrive Friday. Nope 10am this morning it showed up.

Pretty much everything I need to build the axles

Ssd pro 44 front and rear axle cases
Ssd pro c hubs
Ssd titanium steering links
Ssd pro 44 had diff covers
Hr brass knuckles
Hr disk brake rotor
Hr overdrive gear set
Samix alum rear bumper mount

The ssd transmission should be here today also.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:32 AM   #29

Great looking Jeep!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:16 AM   #30
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toka100 View Post
Got to hand it to a-main. Placed an order yesterday around 4 pm. Wanted to get it by Friday so I picked the next day option. I figured since it was later in the day it would arrive Friday. Nope 10am this morning it showed up.

Pretty much everything I need to build the axles

Ssd pro 44 front and rear axle cases
Ssd pro c hubs
Ssd titanium steering links
Ssd pro 44 had diff covers
Hr brass knuckles
Hr disk brake rotor
Hr overdrive gear set
Samix alum rear bumper mount

The ssd transmission should be here today also.

Nice parts list and great build.

For the ssd steering links, are those a must with the pro44 axle housing or can you still achieve full steering with the regular link? I have the axles on the way but forgot to order the links. Doh.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Thanks

I am thinking the stock ones will work just fine. I still need to order the pan hard bar. Not sure how having a bent servo link and a straight Panhard is going to effect things.

The axles look really good when installed. With everything built the total weight of my front axle is 325g. Compared with the stock 151g.

Unfortunately I stripped a screw on the diff ring. So I need to order a new locker.

I really need to powder coat those knuckles though. The brass stands out way too much. I also found out that I have a bit of in and out slip on the wheels. So I am going to get some washers to space the cv shaft a bit. Hopefully that works.

Last edited by toka100; 02-07-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:31 AM   #32
Gold Star Baby!

Those look slick, I dig the diff cover too.

Thanks for the info!
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:27 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

A slightly boring video of it running. It is -5F outside so I really don't want to go out there. So this video is just on my test rocks.

https://youtu.be/MoXFfZKd8S4

Last edited by toka100; 02-08-2019 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #34

Sweet build. I have been considering a 3D printer, it probably pays for itself over time. Where do you find the plans for your printed parts?
sminton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:11 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Mostly thinkverse.com. That is where I found the wheel wells. I did end up modifying them to get the shape and size I wanted. I’m not an engineer so the cad programs have been a learning experience.

Material is fairly cheap so trial and error isn’t a bad thing.
That is all the parts that didn’t fit right or later revised. That box has maybe 5-6buxs total in material

Old 02-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #36

That site is where I have been seeing most of the things I want to print. After seeing your results and reading reviews, I am going to order the Ender 3. $239 on Amazon with a tempered glass bed seems like the way to go. Thanks for the info!
sminton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Yah the Ender 3 is great for the price. I have the non pro one. Look into also getting the hardened steel or the Olsen ruby tip. That will allow you to print some exotic materials. Like iron infused pla. It actually rusts like iron does.

Also if you are completely new at design like me. Tinkercad is a super basic cad program. Then cura is a great slicer program also.

Last edited by toka100; 02-08-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:36 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

All the aluminum chassis parts are installed.
Gcm front bumper mount a servo relocation
Samix rear bumper mount
A China express scx-10 tranny mount since the ssd scale tranny doesn’t work with the new style rtr tranny mount. I tried and it would not line up at all. Installed the older style and everything just dropped right in place.

All the black versions are always out of stock. Which isn’t a problem for me. I sand blasted and power coated they full chassis matte black.

Straight out of the oven after the first coat

All one shade.

I forgot to grab the knuckles so I will coat them next weekend while replacing the turbo on my 1:1 car

Old 02-15-2019, 05:38 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Your second job is paying off.. lol Enjoyed this build, great pics with good info and even some trail running vid. Nice job, it's looking great!
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:57 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Thanks tat76. I really need to find a nice place around here to crawl. I saw your build thread and really started to miss the Rocky Mountains. Nothing but sandy grassland here.

Really thinking about heading out to Denver in the next few months and crawl with the crawl space guys again. I have one other truck I have to start and finished before I go there though.

Toka's crazy plum build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pajero Build aka - The Crazy Hampster TwistedXT 1.9 Scale Rigs 22 03-01-2014 11:15 PM
Lazy & Crazy Build: Learning as "we" go. Frankenwheely Axial AX-10 Scorpion 55 10-01-2013 07:43 PM
Am I crazy for not wanting to build a Jeep camobob Chit Chat 33 02-11-2011 05:14 PM
crazy video and pictures of a slash vs airbag crazy josh hayes Non Crawler RC's 8 07-01-2009 02:56 PM