Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Trail buddy for scx10ii, thinking of getting a second trail rig just not sure what

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2017, 11:06 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Trail buddy for scx10ii, thinking of getting a second trail rig just not sure what

I know it's not scx10ii related but as I am the only one I know with a rc trail truck, I'm thinking of getting another Axial rig to have as an loaner so I can get others addicted and let my 8-5yrs kids and nephews run around. What RTR would have close to scx10ii abilities?
NitroDarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2017, 11:43 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Trail buddy for scx10ii, thinking of getting a second trail rig just not sure wha

Deadbolt RTR is less than $300 shipped. Only another 10.2 will be close to the abilities of a 10.2. They're so much better than the original SCX10. I say get something a little different like a Bomber then you can try something new.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:42 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Trail buddy for scx10ii, thinking of getting a second trail rig just not sure wha

How are the bomber or wraith compared to the original scx10?
Old 02-11-2017, 08:26 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Longer wheelbase, wider axles, usually end up being heavier, run 2.2 tires, tube chassis instead of body on frame. If your asking how they compare performance wise, I'd buy a Wraith or Bomber 10 times before I'd buy an original SCX10 because they are obsolete and being discontinued. The Deadbolt is just a really good deal especially for an RTR and for a borrow me truck you don't want the best that's available unless the price was close. A 10.2 RTR is $400+, a Deadbolt is $299 or less shipped.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:39 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

6x6!!!! Sorry couldn't help myself.
BoyFreakWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:33 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

What about an acsender? I've never owned one, but that'll be my next scale crawler after owning scx10's, a sawback, and now an scx10 II. On that note, a sawback would be a good loaner truck also and you can switch between leafed and linked.
monster 550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:54 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Id pay 100 more for another 10.2 without question. Many years of new technology on the 10.2 which for me has translated into more reliability. If you are up for going with something different like the wraith or bomber idea id definitely go with the bomber. Once again there are many years in between when they were released and im pretty sure everyone agrees the bomber and 10.2 are axials best vehicles. Ive had a lot of fun with a stock bomber on 3s and keeping the power down with $20 crawler motors makes them pretty indestructible. My initial thought was 10.2 but having something different instead of 2 of the same makes sense. I have 2 of each but one of the bombers and 1 of the 10.2s were craigslist deals where at first the sellers had them priced $50 less than what everything cost them. still not sold 2 months later I got them for half of their original asking price and gave $200 for a nicely hooked up 10.2 ran once or twice and the other deal with the bomber was $1200 worth of new items on a 90% finished bomber kit that I got for $350. Each case I sold extras/mods and have $300 in 2 new axial rigs. Its more common than youd think with people buying one thinking they ll get into it but only run them a time or 2 in the yard and end up selling.
geauxktm, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:39 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I'd go with another II or a Wraith. Then they could see if they like the more scale side or the big tire side of crawling.

I went out with a friend yesterday and he brought 2 guys with him that were looking to try out the hobby. He brought a Wraith, a 1.55 leaf spring truck, and 10.2, and and comp crawler. By the end of the run, they were commenting about how fun it was choosing what likes you could do with the smaller trucks vs the Wraith just driving over everything.
fortyeightjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:43 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I understand the idea of fun of picking a line, but I don't want someone not having any fun because the can't get it anywhere. Guess there is a fine line of too hard and too easy and I will be letting kids run it(probably more than adults). I leaning towards too easy and it would looked cool pulling a wraith on a trailer behind the xj.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:29 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I would by a rtr scx10.2. Then they are basically the same rig so you can carry one set of spare parts for both rigs.
littletoyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:03 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyeightjake View Post
I'd go with another II or a Wraith. Then they could see if they like the more scale side or the big tire side of crawling.

I went out with a friend yesterday and he brought 2 guys with him that were looking to try out the hobby. He brought a Wraith, a 1.55 leaf spring truck, and 10.2, and and comp crawler. By the end of the run, they were commenting about how fun it was choosing what likes you could do with the smaller trucks vs the Wraith just driving over everything.
I love the wraith and always will because it was my 1st but have you been able to compare the wraith and bomber? Im just Curious and not being the many things its going to look like im being. Huge difference IMO in performance/reliability and itll take some money's to get a wraith where its able to follow a stock bomber without breaking or shutting off/overheating. Im calling with new tires and foams still stock and once again not being a jerk. Its just my bombers have taken beatings stock on 3s and my wraith had me at the LHS every other day and couldn't handle bigger tires and it stayed on 2s.

Put 1.9s on a bomber or wraith and that makes it fun
geauxktm, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:58 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxktm, View Post
I love the wraith and always will because it was my 1st but have you been able to compare the wraith and bomber? Im just Curious and not being the many things its going to look like im being. Huge difference IMO in performance/reliability and itll take some money's to get a wraith where its able to follow a stock bomber without breaking or shutting off/overheating. Im calling with new tires and foams still stock and once again not being a jerk. Its just my bombers have taken beatings stock on 3s and my wraith had me at the LHS every other day and couldn't handle bigger tires and it stayed on 2s.

Put 1.9s on a bomber or wraith and that makes it fun
Idk, never driven a bomber. Not really my idea of a crawler in stock form but I know they can be configured so.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
fortyeightjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:30 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Along my line of thinking would suggest getting another V2 axial. The reasoning behind my suggestion is parts. You will only have to focus on one breed of rig or aleast its drivetrain. Having one make of drivetrain as your base makes it very nice when you have a trail break or when interchanging upgrades on your different rigs. Just my input.
MUF DVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Update, i got a Bomber RTR on its way and wife got a few tattoos, hair cut, and dyed.(Yay for tax refunds)

Trail buddy for scx10ii, thinking of getting a second trail rig just not sure what - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
thinking of getting a trail trekker.... Cody318 Micro Scale Rigs 2 06-23-2012 06:15 PM
thinking of getting a LMC or trail trekker, couple quick questions noremacyug Micro Scale Rigs 13 04-27-2011 12:20 PM
thinking about trading ax10 for RC4WD Trail finder opinions? Axialfan19 General Crawlers 6 09-28-2010 08:59 PM
Thinking of buildind an AX10 X Trail...Need advice biggin69 Newbie General 2 10-17-2008 07:43 PM
first trail rig ever johnnyt Tamiya TLT Crawlers 10 03-29-2006 09:42 PM