Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: TrackAttack's SCX10.2 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2017, 12:12 PM   #21

Default Re: TrackAttack's SCX10.2 Build

Hi

Did you do any bumper and side plate trimming to fit the proline hyrax tire?
And also did the tire rub the body fender? Thanks
randys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2017, 02:43 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

Default TrackAttack's SCX10.2 Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by randys View Post
Hi

I did not have to do any trimming, but I am using the Flat Iron XL tires. If the Hyrax tires are the same diameter, I don't think you will have any problems..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TrackAttack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Have not posted anything in awhile, so I figured I could throw about a pic or two since it has been awhile.

It's been beat up pretty good, and have not broken anything....yet...

A pic for the user that asked about the tires rubbing...

They tuck up real nice...

Old 08-13-2017, 07:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackAttack! View Post
I did not have to do any trimming, but I am using the Flat Iron XL tires. If the Hyrax tires are the same diameter, I don't think you will have any problems..

I see so really no problem at all when crawling? i am afraid it will be way bigger than the stock. Anyway if you have time maybe you can help take a photo side by side with the stock wheels and tire
I am planning to get super swamper xl and for the spec I saw it is about the same as flat iron xl. Thanks!
randys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:55 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Have not posted anything in awhile, so I figured I could throw about a pic or two since it has been awhile.

Serious n00b here (I built this SCX10ii kit as my 1st crawler and 1st kit), and I appreciate your work! Query: How do you have your winch mounted? With spacers and longer bolts? I have the same RC4WD Warn 9.5 winch, but can't seem to mount it like I want. I tried using the included plate, but I don't like the way it will have to bolt up. And I don't think the winch lined up with the pre-drilled holes correctly.
Ironhide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:23 AM   #26
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I see so really no problem at all when crawling? i am afraid it will be way bigger than the stock. Anyway if you have time maybe you can help take a photo side by side with the stock wheels and tire

I am planning to get super swamper xl and for the spec I saw it is about the same as flat iron xl. Thanks!

I am out of town this week, so I won't be able to take any pics until this weekend. I would say that if the Super Swamper XLs are the same specs as the Flat Iron XLs, you should not have a problem. Maybe someone with the SS XLs can chime in?

Old 08-16-2017, 08:28 AM   #27
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide13 View Post
Serious n00b here (I built this SCX10ii kit as my 1st crawler and 1st kit), and I appreciate your work! Query: How do you have your winch mounted? With spacers and longer bolts? I have the same RC4WD Warn 9.5 winch, but can't seem to mount it like I want. I tried using the included plate, but I don't like the way it will have to bolt up. And I don't think the winch lined up with the pre-drilled holes correctly.

I ended up buying the RC4WD universal winch plate adapters. Not cheap, and can probably make your own, but it will allow you to mount the winch, and gives you the needed height to clear the bumper on the passenger side where the motor is located.
http://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-Univers...es_p_4820.html

Old 08-16-2017, 01:48 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I ended up buying the RC4WD universal winch plate adapters. Not cheap, and can probably make your own, but it will allow you to mount the winch, and gives you the needed height to clear the bumper on the passenger side where the motor is located.
RC4WD Universal Winch Mounting Plates

Thanks! I looked at those, and I think I'm going to try to make my own for now. I hope to get all the accessories installed and post up some pictures soon. I took mine to a local fun crawl (not a comp) and I've scuffed it up quite a bit before really finishing everything. Of course, are you ever really finished with these? lol
Ironhide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 05:16 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

In your later pics it looks like you got those RC4wd sliders tucked in tighter than the initial pics. Did you file out the elongated holes so you can adjusted them in further? I have to same ones but the body I am using is away getting painted so I can't see how far they stick out.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:33 PM   #30
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
In your later pics it looks like you got those RC4wd sliders tucked in tighter than the initial pics. Did you file out the elongated holes so you can adjusted them in further? I have to same ones but the body I am using is away getting painted so I can't see how far they stick out.
I did not file them, I did push them in all the way to the inner limit. I still feel they stick out further than they need to..
Old 09-03-2017, 01:28 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Hi

As promised, here are the comparison pics of the stock BFG ATs and the ProLine Flat Iron XL tires:

As you can see they are not much larger than the stock tires. Granted, they are a bit wider, but they do not rub the fenders or the wheel wells. Not sure how the Hyrax tires compare to the Flat Irons, so you may need to eyeball the differences of those two tires..

Old 09-03-2017, 01:35 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

Took the sCX10-2 and the Bomber out to my friends house to play yesterday. I would say that this pretty extreme wheeling, and the Jeep really shows how top-heavy it is. I need to work on bottom weight to make it more stable on angles..

His house sits on the bank of a small river in Missouri in Union. Going down is a lot easier than going up!

Old 09-05-2017, 12:23 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Your II looks great.

I may pick up those RC4WD sliders today. Since you have pushed them in from where they were in your first post, could you share another picture from the top down showing how far they stick out now? Also, do you have any additional thoughts now that you have run them for a bit?

Thanks and good work.
powder4breakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:50 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

This 10.2 looks really good. Are you still using the standard kit 15t pinion?
Hardcoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:25 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by powder4breakfast View Post
Your II looks great.

I may pick up those RC4WD sliders today. Since you have pushed them in from where they were in your first post, could you share another picture from the top down showing how far they stick out now? Also, do you have any additional thoughts now that you have run them for a bit?

Thanks and good work.

Here are some pics of the sliders. After using them a bit now, I wish they would tuck in a bit more. The kick outs tend to be in the way more than helping. That may be a by-product of them sticking out so far... to move them further in, I would need to drill them out, and cut the body where they meet the sliders, based on that the body pretty much rests on them now..

Old 09-06-2017, 02:27 PM   #36
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcoretam View Post
This 10.2 looks really good. Are you still using the standard kit 15t pinion?

Yep. Internal gearing has not changed at all.. that includes the axle gearing as well.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:59 PM   #37

Very clean and great looking truck!

I was also considering those sliders, based on their good look... Now I'm on the edge.
Jeece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #38
Rock Stacker

Okay, since have nothing better to do (not quite what my wife thinks...), I decided to start working on getting some weight positioned low on the rig. Being the cheap-ass that I am, I went the with the Extra Speed axles, front and back... I decided to do silver to add some contrast to the solid black of everything else... I figured if I don't like it, I can always rattle can them later...

They are definitely heavier than the stock plastic housings, so this is working in the direction I want. I will be adding some brass pieces to compliment the axles (another post once they arrive..).

I did have to sand out the paint in the bearing seats in the pumpkin to get the bearing to seat, but other than that, everything aligned and bolted up without issue. I did not shim anything at this point, and the gearing mesh feels good.

Just wondering if I can use other aftermarket pumpkin covers with these?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-17-2017, 03:16 PM   #39
Rock Stacker

Okay, I bought the 66 Chevy P/U a couple weeks ago. I am more of a Ford man, but this truck body is just tough looking...

Not sure where I will go with it, as I wanted to keep it stock looking, but is shouts something else.... just not sure what that is yet...

I want to keep it modular, to where I can swap the XJ and this body without a lot of work. I doubt I will retain the lighting with the C10, but want to make sure within minutes, I can go between the C10 and XJ..

Post rough cut of the C10 body, and trimming to fit around the kit transmission..

I removed the bumpers to fit the body, so I will,need to decide how to move forward with either the stock lexan bumpers, or the XJ bumpers..... knowing I am going to trail it, I am leaning towards off road bumpers of some sort..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-17-2017, 05:33 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Those axles look good in silver. I just picked up some black ones for my 10.2 as i already went the whole silver alloy route on my original 10
As far as i read, the original axle covers will fit as well, so that should mean all the aftermarket ones for standard axles will be compatible. That's looking good with the new body.
I'm guessing it wouldn't need trimming with the RTR transmission?
Hardcoretam is offline   Reply With Quote

TrackAttack's SCX10.2 Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TrackAttack's attempt at a Bomber build TrackAttack! Axial RR10 Bomber 14 02-17-2017 09:38 PM
1.9 wraith build or scx10 build? Cork Newbie General 13 06-08-2015 08:17 AM
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 10:26 PM
Pinchflat's SCX10 "WTF am I going to build" Build. PinchFlat Axial SCX-10 99 10-09-2012 12:59 PM
SCX10 build godofcable Axial SCX-10 1 09-20-2011 09:54 PM