Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: TrackAttack's SCX10.2 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default TrackAttack's SCX10.2 Build

After getting back Into the RC hobby with the
Axial Bomber, I wanted to get into a scale crawler. The SCX10.2 came out right at that at time, and after reading multiple reviews, it seemed the the logical choice. I did the RTR with the Bomber, and decided this time I wanted to go the kit route. I spent way too much upgrading the Bomber, so I had a lot of spare parts I could use on this build.

Parts list:
Axial SCX 10.2 kit
Castle Creations "Slate" 1406 Sensored 4-Pole Brushless Crawler Motor (2850kV)
Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro 1/10 ESC
TraxxasLink TQi 4channel transmitter and 5 channel receiver
Savox SW-0231MG servo

Option parts:
RC4WD Warn winch with remote controller
GRC fenders - from and rear
GRC rear bottom panel
GRC taillights
Vanquish 1. 9 Method grey wheels with black rings
Vanquish .225 hubs
ProLine Flat Iron, XL tires with included foams
RCCommon Sense LEDLighting kit

Coming from the RTR to the kit format, I prefer the kits . I came from the background of building the Tamiya Hotshot and Asssociated RC10 kits. I welcomed this as a way to getting back to my roots.

You can read many other threads on the build process, so I won't bore you on that process. I will say that is does take quite a bit of time and money to complete the kit. Money is relative to how you want to finish the kit, but I wanted to go for realism (so some resemblance thereof).

The kit is good, right out of the box, it does not require a lot of mods. I wanted to keep this in mind when building mine. I only (so far) added things I wanted right off the bat, things that added to realism.

Build went fine closely following the instructions. I would suggest reviewing the posts here to make sure you have the latest information.

Don't mind the mess, but this shows the GRC fenders - makes a big difference with inner fender realism.

The front end is a bitch! No easy way to say how to make this easy or look great. I spent several hours cutting it out with a sharp xacto knife and sanding to get it this good. Take your time, and you,can do better than me!

A good shot of the Vanquish Methods. I went with Grey, but they have a ting of purple to them.. Maybe it is just me...

Quick shot of the taillight- I used Tamiya transparent red and orange. Still need to install the leds.

I have yet to get this out and play with it, but thought you would like to see the progress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by TrackAttack!; 10-08-2017 at 01:11 PM.
TrackAttack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2017, 08:52 AM   #2

Default Re: TrackAttack's SCX10.2 Build

This is a beautiful rig! Nice build!
Odier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Awesome truck you have there. VERY nice job! I did the same with those front light grille housings. I'm not sure what you used (maybe a chrome spray paint?) But I used mirror tape inside. Makes for better illumination and a more realistic scale look..
Also maybe as a suggestion if your going for the scale realism. I used a "PSE Parma lexan pen" for the door/liftgate gaps, as with the front clip.

Last edited by MattySlimz1987; 03-19-2017 at 11:15 AM.
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:44 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I was able to get the leds installed and wired today.
The goal was to keep it simple when installing or removing the body. There are only two connectors that run from the front of the body. The controller is attached to the back of the grill.

Here is a shot of the underside of the body:

While I was addressing the body wiring, I cleaned up the chassis wiring. I still need to add the wiring for the front and rear bumper lights, that will be next..

Several shots of the LEDs showing the headlights/light bar, turn signals, brakes, and backup lights.

If you,use the Common Sense RC led controller, make sure to test your lighting, the grid that they provide is not accurate, and you will need to make notes when testing to get the right results.

I have a video of the lighting, I will update this post once I have the video uploaded.

Thanks for the likes and replies!
Joe

Old 03-25-2017, 06:15 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Video...

https://flic.kr/p/T2FBw1

Last edited by TrackAttack!; 03-25-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:42 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Replaced the Axial decals..

Old 04-02-2017, 04:23 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Took the rig out in the back yard to check out how it handles. Ended up dialing the shocks back as it was not flexing as much as I expected. Running stock shocks, and not looking to change out anytime soon.

I was worried about tire rub, but they tuck up real nice in the wheel wells.

Last edited by TrackAttack!; 04-02-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:04 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Made some straps after looking at some of the posts in the scale accessories section. Not too hard to make. I used a set to hold down the tire.

I also made a tow using beading wire and a crimping tool. I used some lobster clasps for the ends. Might swap them out for some scale ends later on..

Old 04-15-2017, 02:30 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Added a set of RC4WD tough armor side steel sliders today.
They stick out quite a bit further that the stock plastic pieces.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:45 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Replaced the string that came with the RC4WD Warn winch..

Old 04-15-2017, 06:07 PM   #11

Very nice job, beautiful rig. How well does the wire work with the winch? Had thought about it a while ago but never tried it.
Crash
crashradius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:55 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Rig is looking good!
mhowzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:44 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashradius View Post
Very nice job, beautiful rig. How well does the wire work with the winch? Had thought about it a while ago but never tried it.
Crash
Seems to work fine. It is a little smaller in diameter, but seems to be as strong if not stronger than the fiber cable that came with the winch. Also, with it being thinner, I was able to increase the amount of cable that is spooled on the winch.

The fiber cable was starting to fray a bit, so I took that opportunity to replace it.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:07 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I'm still in the process of building my 10.2 and picked up the same inner fender kit. Have you had any good rolls and falls with them yet? I'm just wonder how well they will hold up.
mhowzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhowzit View Post
I'm still in the process of building my 10.2 and picked up the same inner fender kit. Have you had any good rolls and falls with them yet? I'm just wonder how well they will hold up.
They seem pretty tough, I have not jumped it or dropped it to a point I would be worried about them. They are hard plastic, but have a bit of give that they do not seem brittle. Definitely not like nylon though..
Old 04-22-2017, 09:21 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Added some more scale accessories to the XJ. I also made a couple bungee cords using the wire nut coils and elastic cord. I replaced the thinner tie downs on the tire with the wider ribbon and square eyelets.
Now all I need is a cooler and I am set for camping!

Old 04-23-2017, 11:44 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashradius View Post
Crash
The wire works great. I use it on my servo winch. Its very strong and will stall out the winch before it breaks. It's also pretty abrasion resistant and looks scale.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Waitwhatsthat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:34 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

It was nice enough to take the XJ out in the back yard to see how it handled with all of the crap that I added to the roof rack. It definitely ends up being top heavy, but I did not roll it (came close and backed out). I am still surprised at how able the SCX10.2 is without any real mods. I really like this rig.

I really need to either add an interior or tint out the windows....

Last edited by TrackAttack!; 04-23-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:48 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Well, I opted to tint the windows for now as it was a cheap option. The cost of the tint was around $10 via Amazon, and I was able to apply it in about 30 minutes. I did make window templates awhile back as I had to respray the body, so that saved time as I just taped the templates to the tint and cut out the film.

I went with 20% tint, but if I had to do it again, I would go with 35%. I had initially done the windshield, but removed it as it made the overall look as if I painted the windows black. I may back out to 35% all around (including the windshield), but for now, I am satisfied.
Best thing is if I don't like it, pull it off!

Amazon - 10 bux with Prime..

One front window without, and back window with..

Holding up a white piece of paper to show the difference..

Front window tinted - too opaque for me..

Removed the from tint..

These were taken right after the film was applied, so I will continue to press out the moisture on the edges., but otherwise, I am happy for the low cost results!

Old 05-28-2017, 05:09 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Well, I finally got the XJ out and had a friend play with it today . We took the Bomber and SCX10.2 on his property and put them to the rest. He has a riverside home, and has a pretty steep hill that he has lined with rocks as steps. It made for a really tough trail (sometimes too tough) to see how the Jeep would fare.. I knew this going in, that it was top heavy, so I need to remedy that next.. more weight on the bottom end, and get rid of the scale stuff in the roof rack - thinking moving the tire to the rear.. overall, had an issue with the front right bun nut coming loose (scale rc4wd scale locking hub), but other than that, no real hardware issues!

Notice the new scale Yeti scale cooler and milk crate holding the propane tank!

A shot of the Bomber on the trail, you can see this was not a cakewalk!

TrackAttack's SCX10.2 Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TrackAttack's attempt at a Bomber build TrackAttack! Axial RR10 Bomber 14 02-17-2017 09:38 PM
1.9 wraith build or scx10 build? Cork Newbie General 13 06-08-2015 08:17 AM
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 10:26 PM
Pinchflat's SCX10 "WTF am I going to build" Build. PinchFlat Axial SCX-10 99 10-09-2012 12:59 PM
SCX10 build godofcable Axial SCX-10 1 09-20-2011 09:54 PM