Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: New Boom racing axle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2017, 08:06 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default New Boom racing axle.

Just got this in the mail. Checking out the high clearance GDS Racing knuckles and hubs as well. Has stock axial gears and universals. I am really digging the SS skid!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Shawns303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2017, 08:19 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New Boom racing axle.

Hmm, looks different from the Xtraspeed axle. Xtra Speed axle

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:22 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

What's the weight of just the axle housing BTW?

spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:54 AM   #4

Boom makes good stuff. The SS skid is stupid IMO like all axle skid plates. They eat into ground clearance and dig into the ground like winch anchors. Other than that it looks nice.

Who is GDS Racing? I've never heard of them.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:06 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
What's the weight of just the axle housing BTW?

It was 128g. They claim 210, maybe filled with water.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:09 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Boom makes good stuff. The SS skid is stupid IMO like all axle skid plates. They eat into ground clearance and dig into the ground like winch anchors. Other than that it looks nice.

The skid only cuts about 3mm of clearance. I think the steel will slide better than the aluminum and prevent all the wear I had with the xtra speed.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:46 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Well, took one for the team. The GDS c-hubs and knuckles aren't compatible with the Axial universals. The bearings are farther apart so when you tighten down the wheel nut, it tries to compresses them together locking them up. They must only be compatible with their own xvds (which look super sweet) but am too impatient to order and wait two weeks to aquire them.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawns303 View Post
Well, took one for the team. The GDS c-hubs and knuckles aren't compatible with the Axial universals. The bearings are farther apart so when you tighten down the wheel nut, it tries to compresses them together locking them up. They must only be compatible with their own xvds (which look super sweet) but am too impatient to order and wait two weeks to aquire them.

That's a bummer!

Where did you find the GDS Racing parts?
Old 04-26-2017, 07:25 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Alientac sells them. On second inspection, it might be the new Axial universals I just got. They bound in my old hubs and knuckles also. Comparing the new with the original, there are visual differences.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:42 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

C'mon Jato, you know this 1mm of stainless steel is going to do a hell of a lot more good than harm. Aluminum skids are pointless I agree but stainless skids are great for sliding over everything much easier than aluminum and protecting the softer grabbier aluminum diff on some axles. I don't run skids on all my axles but they are necessary on some.
Attached Images

SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
C'mon Jato, you know this 1mm of stainless steel is going to do a hell of a lot more good than harm. Aluminum skids are pointless I agree but stainless skids are great for sliding over everything much easier than aluminum and protecting the softer grabbier aluminum diff on some axles. I don't run skids on all my axles but they are necessary on some.
I don't run soft axles that I'm worried to scratch. And your skid plate seems to be a far cry from the Boom skid. If you look at the other photos it looks thick.
I'm guessing about 13 gauge (.090"). And it appears that it is not tight against the pumpkin. Let's say, for shiggles, that it's 1/8" less clearance. That's 1.25" scale inches which isn't anything to sneeze at IMO.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:13 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Alientac sells them. On second inspection, it might be the new Axial universals I just got. They bound in my old hubs and knuckles also. Comparing the new with the original, there are visual differences.

The scx10 and the scx10ii are different sizes, as far as the length of the axle piece of the universal. I found that out making my ascender axle mods. Robbob and Erik showed me how to drill out the c-hub with a 11mm drill so they work.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 04-27-2017 at 09:45 PM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:17 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
The scx10 and the scx10ii are different sizes, as far as the length of the axle piece of the universal. I found that out making my ascender axle mods.
Ernie
The new ones are for the ar44. Talked to Axial about it and they said I might have gotten a pair from their new manufacturer. They are sending me a new set, I will compare the two when I get them.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:33 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
What axle is this Screamer? Love the skid on that thing. Its gotta help get over sharp edged rocks that would otherwise hang up on the pumpkin.
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:51 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorider View Post
What axle is this Screamer? Love the skid on that thing. Its gotta help get over sharp edged rocks that would otherwise hang up on the pumpkin.
Not to speak for him, but that's an f9. I like the look of that, would definitely need one if I pick up a rear f9 to match my front
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:25 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Just got this in the mail. Checking out the high clearance GDS Racing knuckles and hubs as well. Has stock axial gears and universals.
Wow, looks great!

Quote:

Mostly agree and usually agree on axle skidplates as a waste of metal that kills ground clearance, but.......

Quote:
The GDS c-hubs and knuckles aren't compatible with the Axial universals. The bearings are farther apart so when you tighten down the wheel nut, it tries to compresses them together locking them up. They must only be compatible with their own xvds (which look super sweet)...
More spacing between knukcle bearings would be a good thing, Axial bearings are too close together which allows more slop in the stub axles and if you run the plastic knuckles they will soon smash the thin layer of plastic that separates the bearings clean out of the knuckles!

Quote:
Agreed, these are one of the few axle skids that are nice and thin and hug the axle housing tightly enough to be beneficial. BPC F9 axle skids are the other good ones.
http://www.bpcustomchassis.com/webst...egory=11952161
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorider View Post
Maslin and Natedog are correct. This is my new rear SCX10 width F9 with a BPC stainless skid. For these axles, a skid is necessary IMHO.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:05 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Maslin and Natedog are correct. This is my new rear SCX10 width F9 with a BPC stainless skid. For these axles, a skid is necessary IMHO.
I would like a skid like that on my yeti xl rc4wd axle I just ordered.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:23 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Picked up a set of these myself. I'm sure I'll be happy with them. Thanks for bringing these to our attention Shawns303!
CR4NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:54 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Well after a bunch of high speed runs through my local new part testing ground, I am super stoked on the skid! It is barely even showing all the impacts it has taken, very impressed. I would not have even thought about driving through here like I did without it. Would definitely recommend.

New Boom racing axle. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boom racing Phat axle xr mod Johan_Eriksson Axial SCX-10 5 11-04-2018 12:18 PM
Boom racing d90/110 phat axle experiences? scalemadness General Crawlers 5 06-17-2017 04:29 AM
Boom Racing XR Axle Review OSRC General Crawlers 40 05-16-2017 09:18 AM
Boom racing scx10 Steel Axle housing slimfire 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 05-13-2016 08:15 AM