Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: What mods to make SCX10-II crawl great

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2017, 02:31 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: What mods to make SCX10-II crawl great

Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxktm, View Post
Hyrax work best for my terrrain but I ran pitbull before that. I'm finding the proline dual stage to be too stiff causing less traction. I switched to a softer crawler innovations and it helped and then went softer and got even better traction. There is going to be some disagreeing with this but I let a buddy run my other hyrax and gave him some junky real real soft foams for his light rig. Just messing around I tried them on my fully modded 10.2 that's on the heavy side and it did the best I've ever seen without them affecting sidehillong and all that. I was very surprised and now I'm just confused about foams because I've switched back and forth between what is supposed to be the best and what doesn't perform best and I'm having better luck going with junk foams???????

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If something works for you, then run it. Interwebs are just people's opinions (a lot of which come from experience, clearly). Your truck, on the area that you run it, is unique to you so go with whatever you feel works best in your experience.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #22

So just to add my 2 cents;
I've got a 2000 dollar scx10 that I've built over the years and recently bought a vaterra ascender. The ascender bone stock is nearly a more capable crawler than my pricey scx10, like everyone has said, good tires rims and foams are about all a well built truck like the scx10.2 will need. Most important, get out and have fun!

Last edited by Keplinger86; 06-15-2017 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Failed to spell the word add correctly
Keplinger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:57 PM   #23
RCC Addict

^truth.

My SCX2 with a heavy RC4WD Blazer body is incredibly capable. Only mod to the chassis is Incision stainless links, and I threw on some Rock Beast tires w/ CI foams.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:55 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Mines pretty much stock. I have beadlock wheels and rockbeast xl's. I made the front bumper. Bought a scaler fan rear bumper and this truck goes anywhere. Just added a winch because I can. Running tekin 35t brushed on an ae5 for power. I have a second one I shortened up and running 1.55 but think it'll go back to 12.3 soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lilws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:40 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brlowe View Post
OOPS I forgot one thing. I would like better bumpers front and rear....any ideas?
If keeping with the XJ body, I believe that the stock bumpers are a major hindrance for actual crawling.

The back bumper can be pulled in a bit; but, It still hangs down pretty low.

There are many metal options for bumpers from many different companies. I went with the SSD bumpers front and rear. I am not sure you can get any tighter and cleaner than their offering. There is a slot to run an internal servo winch if desired.

If weight and price are important, modify the stock rear bumper on the corners a bit and tuck it in. Axial's dingo bumper is really good for the front. You can even trim the two outside bars to slide it tighter toward the grill. AX80039A is the part number for the front.
powder4breakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:14 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

You can tuck in the stock front bumper in by 2-3 holes trimming the little ends off by the tires

Last edited by NitroDarwin; 06-16-2017 at 04:16 PM.
NitroDarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by powder4breakfast View Post
If keeping with the XJ body, I believe that the stock bumpers are a major hindrance for actual crawling.

The back bumper can be pulled in a bit; but, It still hangs down pretty low.

There are many metal options for bumpers from many different companies. I went with the SSD bumpers front and rear. I am not sure you can get any tighter and cleaner than their offering. There is a slot to run an internal servo winch if desired.

If weight and price are important, modify the stock rear bumper on the corners a bit and tuck it in. Axial's dingo bumper is really good for the front. You can even trim the two outside bars to slide it tighter toward the grill. AX80039A is the part number for the front.
Not too worried about price and I'm not sure about the weight. I would like something small tube style but with a which mount. If I run a which or mount one I want one on the front bumper for looks.
Brlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:14 AM   #28
Pebble Pounder

kit version my ass rtr is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
Don't do anything to it. Stock SCX10II (kit version) is probably one of the finest trucks on the market in stock form. You say you want to re-gear? I don't know of any options out there to make it slower or faster, I'd just adjust your settings on the Mamba.
Skyjacker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:06 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

The SCX10-2 kit is a great rig right out of the box. I'm running a goolrc 35 turn motor. It has plenty a crawl and high speed for me. I would go to a 55 turn motor for slower crawl speed. I was very disappointed with the stock Icon shocks. Mine would not hold oil. I did all the little tricks to make them better. I ended up going with Traxxas big bore shocks, Losi gold 1.4 rate springs on the front. Stock rear springs . 15w oil. The flex is way better that stock. And stock is pretty darn good. For tires the stock BFG's are pretty good. But I found a set of Proline Hyrax tires. They are a little taller than stock almost a 1/4 overall. I used the foams that came with them. I found there pretty sticky and grip well. I'm running some proline plastic rims with metal rings that put a little more weight on the ground for better traction. The front bumper mount/ rail is aluminum from my old scx 10. That adds a pinch of weight. I'm running a heavier that stock metal bumper from my old scx10 for a little more weight. I also put a Comanche body on. I love the Cherokee body but found the rig was easier to flop over with the Cherokee body.

jeeptec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:49 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyjacker56 View Post
How do you figure this? Fact's please?
By all my accounts I've found the kit version of the scx2 better, compared to a fellow crawlers bone stock rtr.

1. Stronger aluminum links.

2. A transmission than didn't require upgraded metal gears.

3. Lower center of gravity

4. No need to buy a roof rack if you prefer one.

These are just a few of the reasons I find the scx2 much better. I just bought a few more upgrades for it this morning.
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:23 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Said nobody ever.

Honestly though, what's your reason for choosing the RTR over the Kit version?
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

You can drive it right away that's the only plus I see on the rtr

Old 06-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

My brother went brushless on his rtr and blew up the trans within 2 hours of runtime. I didn't realize they were still using plastic gears in the tranny. He had to have it ready to run on day one and is now paying for it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #34

Quote:
would like to know why too.
don't own one but plan to.
i built the yeti kit because of all the included upgrades as opposes to the rtr...

how different is the scx10 2 kit than the rtr ??

Last edited by Kartooo; 06-19-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Kartooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:26 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartooo View Post
would like to know why too.
don't own one but plan to.
i built the yeti kit because of all the included upgrades as opposes to the rtr...

how different is the scx10 2 kit than the rtr ??

Kit gets aluminum shocks. All metal gears in the trans with option on 2speed. Aluminum links. Roof rack. Clear body Rtr gets the Scx10 plastic gear trans plastic shocks. Plastic links and no roof rack Greg body

Old 06-19-2017, 07:44 PM   #36

TNX,appreciate the quick reply.

i did the 2 speed on my yeti, love it on my TRX4 too...
when the yeti is sold it will be a SCX10 II "kit" for me

Last edited by Kartooo; 06-19-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Kartooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:26 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilws6 View Post
Kit gets aluminum shocks. All metal gears in the trans with option on 2speed. Aluminum links. Roof rack. Clear body Rtr gets the Scx10 plastic gear trans plastic shocks. Plastic links and no roof rack Greg body

RTR Does Not Get Plastic Links, they get Stainless Steel Links....
malickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:21 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by malickie View Post
RTR Does Not Get Plastic Links, they get Stainless Steel Links....

Whoops I'm thinking back og Scx10.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:09 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Put these into your SCX10 II, https://www.asiatees.com/display?Mis...d=130812&pid=1

I guarantee you will become one of the good crawler if not the best. Better than knuckles weight and axles weight.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:55 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
Put these into your SCX10 II, https://www.asiatees.com/display?Mis...d=130812&pid=1

I guarantee you will become one of the good crawler if not the best. Better than knuckles weight and axles weight.

Just be careful since you’re adding a load of rotating weight, putting a lot of extra stress on your driveline.
IVIaarten is offline   Reply With Quote

What mods to make SCX10-II crawl great - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can we make a tips/tricks/mods sticky? fbuonpensiero Axial SCX-10 3 09-02-2010 02:39 PM
what mods should i make? trevdogg420 Axial SCX-10 1 12-13-2009 10:21 PM
Which mods to make to my rtc??? DAN8701 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 08-25-2009 08:37 PM
simple mods to make your ax10 rtc a real crawler NORCALDAN Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 10-05-2008 12:20 AM
Mods 4 WK trans to make it like AX-10 Leeroy HPI Wheely King 14 05-22-2008 10:34 PM