Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: What mods to make SCX10-II crawl great

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2017, 10:06 AM   #1

Default What mods to make SCX10-II crawl great

So I'm new to RC Crawlers and have built an SCX10-II.
Right now it is mostly stock. I used a Mamba X ESC and Holmes motor. Gears are stock but I would like to regear it for slower speeds.
I have added Samix front and rear shock towers and some cheap Ebay bead lock rims.

So what mods should I look at to make this thing crawl really well?
Tires? Gears? weights?

Keep in mind at some point I would like to add a hardbody or a different body and make it scale looking as I can but not to the point of trying to compete in scale events I just want it to look scale.
Brlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2017, 10:12 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: What mods to make SCX10-II crawl great

Get a nice set of really soft tires and compliment them with a set of hard, dual stage foams. The soft tires will grab the rocks really well, and the dual stage foams will help keep the sidewallls off the rocks.

Also, get rid of the stock rock sliders and build/buy some steel sliders with a plate under them. You'll slider easier over rocks.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
excabswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:16 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Don't do anything to it. Stock SCX10II (kit version) is probably one of the finest trucks on the market in stock form. You say you want to re-gear? I don't know of any options out there to make it slower or faster, I'd just adjust your settings on the Mamba.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:19 AM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Better tires and metal beadlocks, lighter body, stout servo
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:02 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I own two SCX10 II's. One of them has the XJ body and a lot of mods to it ...mostly involving low slung weight ...steel lower links, metal axles, brass weights on all fours etc. The second SCX10II is all stock except for a Toyota Hilux cab with Ascender rear cage and TSL Super Swamper tires. I am amazed at my second stock vehicle. The Hilux Honcho style body doesn't feel as top heavy as the XJ (w/ rack and accessories) and the tires are awesome. Those two items might be more valuable than all the $ I dumped into my first II. I don't really feel a need to throw money at the second II right now.
powder4breakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:24 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

My son has the original scx10 and I just recently completed my scx10 2 build. Both 98% stock. The only things I changed during the build were ssd steel headlock wheels and a vanquish top shaft for the transmission on mine. I put a light kit on it just to try something new in the world of rc. Other than that I may just do as john suggested and get some better tires after I beat the stock ones up. I mean I love to mod things out, but if I did all the mods I wanted I would have a $2,000 truck. As far as I'm concerned the axial scx10 and 2 are just fine box stock for my needs.
Ghonda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:31 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by powder4breakfast View Post
I own two SCX10 II's. One of them has the XJ body and a lot of mods to it ...mostly involving low slung weight ...steel lower links, metal axles, brass weights on all fours etc. The second SCX10II is all stock except for a Toyota Hilux cab with Ascender rear cage and TSL Super Swamper tires. I am amazed at my second stock vehicle. The Hilux Honcho style body doesn't feel as top heavy as the XJ (w/ rack and accessories) and the tires are awesome. Those two items might be more valuable than all the $ I dumped into my first II. I don't really feel a need to throw money at the second II right now.
I also have 2 10.2's and a very similar situation. One is fully built up with just about every best of the best available part for it and the 1st one i bought is close to stock with twice the run time. While building up the modded one the sticker sat a lot because I was so impressed with how these mods were getting my truck up stuff I never thought was possible and it was impressing the heck out of me. Well it went down one day so I took the basically stock one (it has ssd knuckles, c hubs, weights, better servo, and junky king shocks)out and it pulled those same nasty lines and may have done better in some situations. The built up one now has 2700kv puller pro which made things fun and of course that power helps in some situations but my point is same as powders: they are very good stock. Tires and foams are most important and if they are the right combo they are the best nod you can do.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
geauxktm, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
Don't do anything to it. Stock SCX10II (kit version) is probably one of the finest trucks on the market in stock form. You say you want to re-gear? I don't know of any options out there to make it slower or faster, I'd just adjust your settings on the Mamba.
Only only said re-gear because the top end is way too fast for this kind of car. Would be nice to have a lower gearing for more torque if needed. The Holmes motor has a ton of power and speed.

On my radio I have 2 profiles, one with all the speed and one that is locked down to a much slower speed. When I do lock down the top speed I end up with some dead space at the beginning of the throttle, I still need to figure out those settings a little more.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:00 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies.
Tires seems to be a good mod to get, any suggestions? I will still with the rims I have for now as they work. Although I might get a second set for the new tires and run these tires when goofing off at home.

I wanted to get better sliders anyway so I will look for that and the rest I will leave as is for now.

So help picking tires and foam would be great.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:22 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Hard to beat the Pro-Line Hyrax or Pit Bull RockBeast. Crawler Innovations for all your foamy needs.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:25 PM   #11

OOPS I forgot one thing. I would like better bumpers front and rear....any ideas?
Old 06-15-2017, 12:33 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
Hard to beat the Pro-Line Hyrax or Pit Bull RockBeast. Crawler Innovations for all your foamy needs.
Agreed. The Proline Dual Stage Foams are actually really good too and were made specifically for their XL carcass tires (which the Hyrax uses).
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:34 PM   #13

Tars. Everything is better with good tars. I prefer ProLine and Pitbull.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:36 PM   #14
MODERATOR™

Driver skills.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Driver skills.
100% truth there. I have been driving real cars and RC's for 40 years so I hope that counts a little.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:51 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

For a gear down I like the 13tooth for this truck, not too slow, not too fast.
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattySlimz1987 View Post
For a gear down I like the 13tooth for this truck, not too slow, not too fast.
What 13t gear did you get. I picked one up and could not get the motor close enough for it to engage the gear.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:18 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I used a Robinson 1/8th 32p. I have mine towards the end of the shaft on the Puller Pro, the alignment is center on the spur.
*Robinson Racing part number 0130

Last edited by MattySlimz1987; 06-15-2017 at 01:21 PM.
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Driver skills.
Truth, but...

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:07 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brlowe View Post
Thanks for the replies.
Tires seems to be a good mod to get, any suggestions? I will still with the rims I have for now as they work. Although I might get a second set for the new tires and run these tires when goofing off at home.

I wanted to get better sliders anyway so I will look for that and the rest I will leave as is for now.

So help picking tires and foam would be great.
Hyrax work best for my terrrain but I ran pitbull before that. I'm finding the proline dual stage to be too stiff causing less traction. I switched to a softer crawler innovations and it helped and then went softer and got even better traction. There is going to be some disagreeing with this but I let a buddy run my other hyrax and gave him some junky real real soft foams for his light rig. Just messing around I tried them on my fully modded 10.2 that's on the heavy side and it did the best I've ever seen without them affecting sidehillong and all that. I was very surprised and now I'm just confused about foams because I've switched back and forth between what is supposed to be the best and what doesn't perform best and I'm having better luck going with junk foams???????

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
geauxktm, is offline   Reply With Quote

What mods to make SCX10-II crawl great - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can we make a tips/tricks/mods sticky? fbuonpensiero Axial SCX-10 3 09-02-2010 02:39 PM
what mods should i make? trevdogg420 Axial SCX-10 1 12-13-2009 10:21 PM
Which mods to make to my rtc??? DAN8701 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 08-25-2009 08:37 PM
simple mods to make your ax10 rtc a real crawler NORCALDAN Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 10-05-2008 12:20 AM
Mods 4 WK trans to make it like AX-10 Leeroy HPI Wheely King 14 05-22-2008 10:34 PM