Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Better shock option/fix?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2017, 05:33 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Better shock option/fix?

I've had my SCX10 II for about a month now and my shocks keep leaking. Have rebuilt twice and still leaks. Is there a fix for the stock shocks or another shock option other than proline? I don't really wanna spend 100$ on shocks right now.
Ryanf58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2017, 05:51 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Better shock option/fix?

I run these with traxxas big bore xrings. Leak free and work with the Axial 12.5x60 springs.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-90mm-Alum...%257Ciid%253A3

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Shawns303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:55 PM   #3

Rc4wd king shocks. Awesome shocks but alil pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bryner250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:21 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I've tried to get the stock Icon's to stop leaking a couple times. First time with just green slime. Second time with green slime AND teflon on the threads.

Some have had success, others not so much. I gave up and got some Gmade RSD's. I'd give them another shot and see if you can get them to stop or at least slow down from leaking.
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:30 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I use these hot racing shocks. I used different springs both below and above the Piston to get them tuned where I want them. The best part is they don't leak, because they don't use oil.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Waitwhatsthat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:36 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Do you like those hot racing shocks? How do they work compared to normal oil shocks? This is my Trail truck so I'm not super concerned with crawling it, but would like to have my shocks actually work.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:38 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

How are they compared to stock? Work pretty well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawns303 View Post
I run these with traxxas big bore xrings. Leak free and work with the Axial 12.5x60 springs.
4pcs 90mm Aluminum Shock Absorber Set fr AXIAL SCX10 1/10 RC4WD D90 CC01 Crawler | eBay

Old 07-04-2017, 04:40 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I am really happy with how these work. They have a little less compression than stock, but I think that is a good thing.

Shawns303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:32 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I have a pair of those HR air shocks and I think they're awful. They look kinda cool, but that's about it....

My stock shocks on my TRX-4 have been awesome (if a bit too stiff). Nice and smooth and no leaks so far. I have a feeling once they are more readily available they will become a popular option....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:01 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I found a set of these 94mm Gmade Zero Shocks on ebay for only $26 shipped last holiday season. Was very pleased with their performance. My rig is rather heavy, like over 11lbs heavy, so these big reservoirs plus heavy weight oil sure helped with controlling my body roll. I almost went with traxxas big bores but for the price, couldn't pass them up

thurlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:28 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanf58 View Post
Do you like those hot racing shocks? How do they work compared to normal oil shocks? This is my Trail truck so I'm not super concerned with crawling it, but would like to have my shocks actually work.
I like them a lot. They work well for me. I guess the concept is to use air compression to as a dampener. I don't really know how the science works but the Piston doesn't have holes in it like a conventional oil shocks. The springs options they come with didn't suit my needs. I ended up mixing different spring combinations that I had on hand until I got it where I liked. I use a spring on bottom and on top of the Piston to create a semi droop setup. This gives me pretty close to a 50/50 compression/droop ratio. Seams to be the sweet spot for my rig. I usually do slow crawling, but it does fine on trails too. They aren't the smoothest around and probably won't handle high speed very well, but for what I use them for, it's worth it to not have any oil leaking, and one less thing to have to maintain.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Waitwhatsthat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:46 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
My stock shocks on my TRX-4 have been awesome (if a bit too stiff). Nice and smooth and no leaks so far. I have a feeling once they are more readily available they will become a popular option....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Totally agree with you there. The new GTS shocks are extremely smooth and solid. If they are anything like other Traxxas shocks (GTR's, Big Bores) they should be leak free for a long time. As you said, once they are packaged up and ready for separate purchase, they will be a solid option amongst crawler enthusiast's, if not the go-to 90mm shock.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:34 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

It's 2017 and axial still has crappy leaking shocks. It's redicoulous if you ask me. Most of these shocks leak right out of
The box.

I have had original untouched and beat gold Pan rc10's with shocks that don't leak a drop.. What gives?
XJrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:18 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattySlimz1987 View Post
Totally agree with you there. The new GTS shocks are extremely smooth and solid. If they are anything like other Traxxas shocks (GTR's, Big Bores) they should be leak free for a long time. As you said, once they are packaged up and ready for separate purchase, they will be a solid option amongst crawler enthusiast's, if not the go-to 90mm shock.

Took the words out of my mouth, err the keystrokes off my keyboard, however that works.

I am anxiously waiting for a set of these shocks to become available for my SCX2
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryner250 View Post
Rc4wd king shocks. Awesome shocks but alil pricey.
You got the pricey part right, but awesome? I've never seen one that doesn't leak and they seem to bend too easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJrob View Post
It's 2017 and axial still has crappy leaking shocks. It's redicoulous if you ask me. Most of these shocks leak right out of
The box.

I have had original untouched and beat gold Pan rc10's with shocks that don't leak a drop.. What gives?
Axial builds to a profit margin. As a result their quality is severely lacking. Traxxas does the same, but they do plastic shocks right!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
You got the pricey part right, but awesome? I've never seen one that doesn't leak and they seem to bend too easily.

Axial builds to a profit margin. As a result their quality is severely lacking. Traxxas does the same, but they do plastic shocks right!

Had my king shocks for 2 years now and never leaked once

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bryner250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:45 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattySlimz1987 View Post
The new GTS shocks are extremely smooth and solid. If they are anything like other Traxxas shocks (GTR's, Big Bores) they should be leak free for a long time. As you said, once they are packaged up and ready for separate purchase, they will be a solid option amongst crawler enthusiast's, if not the go-to 90mm shock.
X2, never got my Axial shocks to stop leaking, only slowed the leak down.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #18

I am running a set of these on my rig:

Desert Lizard Two Stage Shocks

It took a bit of time to dial them in, but they are AWESOME now! The droop springs are a nice feature for sure. I ended up running two small springs (a soft and medium) on compression, and a medium soft spring for droop in the rear, medium medium spring in the front. The rears are running 3 hole piston heads, and the fronts are running 4 hole. The extra length from the 100mm shocks are a big increase, and really don't max out the steering components at all.

Not cheap, but they work great, and fit my needs perfectly.
uvalax236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:05 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvalax236 View Post

It took a bit of time to dial them in, but they are AWESOME now! The droop springs are a nice feature for sure. I ended up running two small springs (a soft and medium) on compression, and a medium soft spring for droop in the rear, medium medium spring in the front. The rears are running 3 hole piston heads, and the fronts are running 4 hole. The extra length from the 100mm shocks are a big increase, and really don't max out the steering components at all.

Not cheap, but they work great, and fit my needs perfectly.
Not cheap!? Sure they are if you get that large assortment of springs to tune and get dialed in. $25 bucks for some decent looking internals? Sounds like a good option, especially someone looking for a droop setup.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:16 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvalax236 View Post

I prefer external spring shocks, looks more scale and much easier to tune, don't have to dump the oil and disassemble the entire shock to change springs. Easy to add some small internal ballpoint pen (or hardware store) springs to most any shock.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Better shock option/fix? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kyosho Shock Option Zombi Axial Yeti 2 05-27-2015 04:11 AM
A new scale 90mm shock option! 2500hdon37s Axial SCX-10 3 04-11-2011 07:07 AM
shock fix bubbaskyjacker Newbie General 5 11-18-2010 01:28 AM
Losi Shock Fix? doors4u Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 26 08-17-2010 01:01 AM
a fix for a more flexable shock yoda316 General Crawlers 4 01-15-2005 09:10 PM