Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: SCX10 II Newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2017, 06:36 AM   #1

Default SCX10 II Newbie

I will be purchasing the kit version in the next couple of weeks. Trying to do all my research up front. My initial questions are: What motor esc combo works best? I would like it to have enough power to do the job, but not be too slow at the same time. Are there any mods that should be done to this right out of the box to make it more worthy for local club running? Thanks in advance.
goodvibessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2017, 08:15 AM   #2

Default Re: SCX10 II Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibessa View Post
I will be purchasing the kit version in the next couple of weeks. Trying to do all my research up front. My initial questions are: What motor esc combo works best? I would like it to have enough power to do the job, but not be too slow at the same time. Are there any mods that should be done to this right out of the box to make it more worthy for local club running? Thanks in advance.
What top speed do you want to achieve? The only thing this truck really needs out of the box is an aluminum servo horn.
Megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:02 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

And maybe some beadlocks

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepy84 View Post
And maybe some beadlocks

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Yeah, that was the 2nd thing I did. I bought a set of rc4wd steelies because I think they fit the cherokee body quite well. They add a bit of weight down low as well.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:37 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I just built mine. The only 2 mods I did are the vanquish top shaft Vanquish Products SCX10 II Transmission Top Shaft to take some slop out of the transmission and the locked up track bar ]Locked Up RC Max Clearance Trackbar - SCX10 II to get full clearance out of the front suspension. you'll need some rod ends for the track bar Traxxas Rod End Ball Screw Connector B/E.

I love this truck. The other things I did that aren't necessary are I like stainless hardware so i built it with Team KNK Axial SCX10 II (2.0) Stainless Hardware Kit. and I'm a fan of Avid bearings so I picked up Axial SCX10 II (AX90046 - 2000 Jeep Cherokee) Bearing Kit. Not needed, just my personal preference.

I am running a Mamba micro Castle Creations 1/18th Mamba Micro X Waterproof ESC with a team brood brushed motor Team Brood Racing :: Crawler Motors :: Handwound Motors :: Apocalypse. So far I'm super happy. It is so quiet and super smooth. exactly what I was going for. If you are looking for more power I'd go with the Mamba X and a Holmes Hobbies BL stubby.

Other that that I vented the stock tires 3 times each with leather punch and am running the stock foams and I'll probably keep them for a while. The bumpers suck or maybe I'm not used to this style of crawler. They get hung up everywhere so I'll probably hack them up tonight before I spend money on metal ones.
blkbart00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
What top speed do you want to achieve? The only thing this truck really needs out of the box is an aluminum servo horn.
Not sure what top speed I want to achieve, I guess decent speed but not too fast if that helps. Really don't know too much about this scene, I have other RC's for higher speed, just want to have fun with this one and build it to look like my Tundra. Thanks again for all of the suggestions so far.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:18 PM   #7

I have a brxl and a crawlmaster expert 13t from HOlmes. This combo has great low speed control amd on 2s and stock gearing tops out at about jogging speed. I really like this combo for my 10.2
Old 08-04-2017, 12:48 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Out of the box, the kit is pretty solid. Eventually there are a few things that you will probably want to replace, but right off the bat I'd focus my money on a good servo (and servo horn) along with a good esc and motor. If you're on a mild budget, a Hobbywing 1080 is a great brushed motor ESC and I have had great luck with Tekin motors. The 35T is a pretty good choice for a 10.2. You can get that setup for under $100 easy. If youre budget is a bit bigger, the Mamba X esc and Castle's new "Slate" crawler motors are excellent. I'm very happy with mine and you can pick that combo up for around $175.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:55 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Default SCX10 II Newbie

I was on a budget when I got my 10.2 and i started with a 3s battery, a hobbywing 1060 and traxxas 21t. The 1080 is out now so that's a good buy for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:01 PM   #10

I just worked a deal locally for a trade on a 10.2, the rtr version. We will be doing the trade tomorrow. He has already put a holmes hobbies esc and motor, didn't say which setup, Pitbull Rockbeast tires, and the Krait beadlocks. Truck needs a servo, any recommendations for servo? I will purchase the aluminum servo horn with the new servo. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:56 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Get a robotronics servo arm, its thin enough not to cause clearance issues with the panhard frame mount. I personally run the power hd line of servos in my rigs and have been pleased with the results for the price. There is a new one out,

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-hd-lw-20mg.html

277 oz of torque..plenty for my scx10 ii on 4.75 1.9 hyrax tires and locked up rc gear jammer bead locks....no BEC either..

Last edited by allanon1965; 08-06-2017 at 03:00 PM.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:06 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
Out of the box, the kit is pretty solid. Eventually there are a few things that you will probably want to replace, but right off the bat I'd focus my money on a good servo (and servo horn) along with a good esc and motor. If you're on a mild budget, a Hobbywing 1080 is a great brushed motor ESC and I have had great luck with Tekin motors. The 35T is a pretty good choice for a 10.2. You can get that setup for under $100 easy. If youre budget is a bit bigger, the Mamba X esc and Castle's new "Slate" crawler motors are excellent. I'm very happy with mine and you can pick that combo up for around $175.

I second that. I have a Mamba X and a Slate 2850kv in my SCX10 II and I'm really happy with the performance. So happy I just put the same set up in a Vaterra Ascender I just built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fishcharger is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX10 II Newbie - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie. Ordered CRC ScX10 rtr and SCX10 jeep kit. Mattdaddy1974 Axial SCX-10 15 07-11-2015 02:50 PM
SCX10 Newbie evan1395 Axial SCX-10 28 09-20-2014 12:58 AM
SCX10 Newbie Tbone Axial SCX-10 14 09-12-2012 01:23 AM
scx10 newbie ofna Axial SCX-10 12 05-13-2011 05:22 AM
A Newbie and a SCX10 zombiecrawler426 Newbie General 5 02-22-2011 08:43 AM