Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Toyota Truggy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Toyota Truggy

Template for the full cab back made with clearance for tranny. Now to get cuttin'!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
ebbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Got the full cab back cut to clear the tranny. Also, got it glued onto the cab. Now to let it cure a while.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:28 PM   #43

Is that the Dinky RC interior? Awesome build so far too! Following this for sure.
SN95cobra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:29 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN95cobra04 View Post
Is that the Dinky RC interior? Awesome build so far too! Following this for sure.
Thanks! Having fun with this build, for sure!

No, it's an interior for the Tamiya Bruiser.

https://www.rpphobby.com/ProductDeta...ode=TAM9000315
Old 08-21-2017, 08:19 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

I got a couple of small things completed today. I didn't have the energy to devote too much time to it tonight.

I cut the end out of the battery tray so I could slide the battery forward to make clearance for the interior. The strap that holds the battery down should keep it from sliding for and aft. I'll have to keep an eye on this to ensure it is not sliding.

I also put some Vanquish knuckles on. They add a little bling and rigidity to that area. My long term plan is to get the Vanquish Currie axles for the SCX2 front and rear. That's not in the budget right now. Sounds like a good Christmas gift from the wifey.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:00 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbet View Post
I like this look. The old Ironman Stewart look.

So previously I stated I like this look. Still do and always have. I think I will be going with something that is inspired by this but does not duplicate it. But...you'll have to wait!
Old 08-22-2017, 02:21 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

Looking great man!
I've always had clearance issues with hard bodies mainly because the fenders don't fold out the way like lean bodies haha. I had it sitting on scx10 OG chassis with wide xr axles, with that set up it seemed there would be almost no rub. I also did a doved YOTA cab but still had to cut the fenders off to get the tires to clear on standard width axles.
PileDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:45 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PileDriver View Post
Looking great man!
I've always had clearance issues with hard bodies mainly because the fenders don't fold out the way like lean bodies haha. I had it sitting on scx10 OG chassis with wide xr axles, with that set up it seemed there would be almost no rub. I also did a doved YOTA cab but still had to cut the fenders off to get the tires to clear on standard width axles.
Thanks!

I'm hoping with some of the body trimming I did, the shock travel limiters and smaller overall OD tires that the body rub will be eliminated or at least extremely minimized. I can handle a little rub, just so long as it is not inhibiting the performance of the rig. I guess another option would be to try wider SLW hubs to push the wheels out a little further. Sometimes the wider hubs can make for a bit of an odd look, though, so I hesitate to go that route. The Pitbull Braven Ironsides can't get here soon enough!!
Old 08-22-2017, 03:51 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Yea thats why I went xr wide axles to eliminate wide hubs. Can't wait to see more!
PileDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:32 PM   #50
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbet View Post
Made some quick progress, but this was the easy part. Got rid of the temporary wheels and tires, some take offs from my Traxxas TRX4. Then got rid of the old sliders. Cleaned up some things a bit and bolted up the truggy cage and body mounts to the chassis. Even without instructions everything went together really easily and the fit and finish was damn good. Mounted the body up and there you have it!

Gonna have to play with the stubby bumper and winch to gain clearance but it looks like it will work ok. Based on some test fitting of wheels and tires, gonna have to go with a smaller diameter tire and utilize some wider SLW hubs. My plan so far is to use Proline's 1.9 BF Goodrich AT's with a 4.35 OD mounted on 1.9 SSD Trail Beadlock wheels. I think the sizing will be just about perfect!

Dang, I wish I would've bought it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
geauxktm, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:23 AM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxktm, View Post
Dang, I wish I would've bought it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ha! I'm usually the one missing out on something like this! I'm glad I was able to get it!

Haven't really had much time to work on it this week. Hopefully I'll get some things done this weekend.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:53 AM   #52
Quarry Creeper

I was able to devote some time to my truggy this morning. Getting up early before the rest of the family gets up affords some nice uninterrupted play time!

I replaced the gun metal STRC aluminum H brace with a black one. Just didn't like the way the gunmetal looked. Also replaced the rear bumper mount/brace with a black STRC aluminum one with integrated light buckets in case I decide to mount up some lights.

I fabricated an ESC mount out of an old axle servo mount plate. It turned out better than expected, doesn't look completely hacked and still allows for clearance of the interior. Score, score and SCORE!

I'm trying to keep the wiring somewhat neat but man that shit can get out of hand in a hurry. The motor wires are zip tied in a big ol' goober of wires, but they remain out of the way. I'm considering doing a direct solder from ESC to motor to cut down on the mess. The leads from the servo, ESC, winch control unit and BEC are just kind of dangling for now. I'm gonna need some servo extension leads to reach the RX box in the rear of the vehicle. I have an idea to hide all of them from view through the rear cage through use of a nylon expandable braided sleeve. I hope it works. We'll see once it arrives next week.

I'm going to be getting some Xtra Speed alloy axles from a buddy. Gonna see how they do. Since I already have the Vanquish knuckles, I'll want to upgrade the chubs, as well. Got my eye on some nice ones from SSD in black. I really want the Vanquish Currie axles but they are damn expensive. We'll see how the Xtra Speed do first.

So far, I'm happy with the progress.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:53 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

After 9 holes of golf with the Mrs., I came home and worked some more on this. A perfect weather day gave me the opportunity to lay the first coat of paint on the cab and to also paint the interior. So far the exterior is just plain white. Not much that's terribly exciting. The interior is pretty much done. I painted the interior black and added some plaid seats, black carpeting, a Raceline steering wheel and the manual shifters. I put it all together for a little preview. I'm happy with the way it turned out!

I have some more ideas for the exterior paint I still need to work on. I need to also work on some of the exterior details like side marker lights, door handles, etc.

Also have to get to the hobby shop to pick up the servo extension wires and solder the BEC up. Still a long way to go but to this has been a fun build.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:40 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Got a few little detail items completed. Went with black door handles and light bezels over the chrome. I think it's going to suit this build better. Added some detail to the grill and drew in body panel gaps with a fine tip Sharpie. That's about it for tonight.

Last edited by ebbet; 08-28-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:52 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Photos got messed up in last post.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:59 PM   #56

That fine tip sharpie in the gaps is generous! And looks great! Thanks for the tip!
Fluxit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:39 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

So the nylon braided expandable sleeve came in today and I was able to try to use it to hide my wiring since the wiring would be visible through the cage as it made its way back to the receiver box. I think it turned out quite well. First photo is a close up of the sleeve in it's collapsed state. The second photo shows it in it's expanded state.

I then carefully fed the ESC, servo, winch and BEC leads through. Fed the whole kit and kaboodle into the receiver box and closed it off.

It seems in the photos you can see the wiring through the sleeve quite a bit. I think that is because of the close up photos. As you look at it in person, it really does not show as much. It really cleans up the wiring and disguises it well. I'm thrilled this worked as well as it did!

I still need to solder up the BEC to the battery lead , bind the RX and set all the electronics up. But, we continue to inch closer.

I also added a few scale accessories. Not sure if this is final placement or not. The hilift and straps are too clean. Might have to "weather" them some.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:57 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

This is a link to the braided sleeve I used. I ordered the 1/4" nominal size that expands to 7/16". I probably could have gone with a larger size and hid the wiring better (it wouldn't be expanded as much relative to it's nominal size). Thinking the 3/8" nominal size would have been perfect.

https://www.cableorganizer.com/expandable-sleeving/
Old 09-04-2017, 05:51 PM   #59
Quarry Creeper

I was away for the holiday weekend so I have not had the chance to work on the truggy. But I did get some goodies in the mail from RPP Hobby. STRC aluminum front bumper mount to stiffen things up and give me a nice solid platform to attach my front bumper. A Yeah Racing fire extinguisher for some scale points and some lights from AE. Also got some replacement dash stickers since I inadvertently placed all of mine upside down on the dash. Go on, look back. I'm surprised no one noticed and called me out. Got some eagle eyes in this community.

Also got my driver. I've used this driver before and always used the head without the helmet. It also comes with a head with the helmet. Considering the helmet head. What do you think?

Old 09-04-2017, 07:37 PM   #60
Pebble Pounder

Helment Head
Mudflap84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Toyota Truggy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2.2 Toyota truggy.... mtnbker 2.2 Scale Rigs 2 01-08-2015 06:30 AM