Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: LSXGMC's Axial SCX10-II K10 Pickup w/ GCM LRT2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2017, 09:06 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: LSXGMC's Axial SCX10-II K10 Pickup w/ GCM LRT2

I received a package from Shapeways today that had my GCM front bumper mount in it. This allows you to use the stock bumper mount holes. The GCM dual servo mount was also installed since they use the same screws.

The Spektrum S6280 servo is reeeeally nice. Check out the specs if you have a minute, it's pretty impressive. I really like the locking and removable insulated cable, which is 9" from end to end. They also offer optional lengths to clean up your wiring, or as in my case, provide some extra length. This one is about an inch and a half shorter than I need, so I've got their 12" cable on order at my LHS to avoid using an extension.

Installed using the screws included in the truck kit. Solid as a rock!

LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2017, 08:06 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
I was a little disappointed that the LS1 engine cover I purchased from Exclusive RC didn't fit between the shock towers. And that's with the headers off - with them on there was no way in hell it was going to fit. Is what it is - the scale engine cover craze should result in more options for us so I'll try again later on. I never intended on using one in the beginning, and this gives me the opportunity to go back to my trusty Traxxas 21T Titan motor. For the amount I'll look under the hood, I can live with this for now.
After you mentioned these covers, I was considering add a dummy engine cover for mine. Since I'm still using the XJ body, I thought about getting the 4.0L I6 version. I wonder if it would still fit between the shock towers?

Quote:
I received a package from Shapeways today that had my GCM front bumper mount in it. This allows you to use the stock bumper mount holes. The GCM dual servo mount was also installed since they use the same screws.
Will you be running dual servos?
Or what is that dual servo mount set up for? a servo winch?
Ironhide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:20 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide13 View Post
After you mentioned these covers, I was considering add a dummy engine cover for mine. Since I'm still using the XJ body, I thought about getting the 4.0L I6 version. I wonder if it would still fit between the shock towers?

Will you be running dual servos?
Or what is that dual servo mount set up for? a servo winch?

I'd imagine an inline 6 would fit. It's just the width of the V8 that's the issue.

I won't be running dual servos. This is just the mount that's included with the transmission conversion kit. I'd think the second mount is for a servo winch, but I don't have a need for a winch so I won't be putting one in. The dual servo mount also provides a couple mounting positions for the servo too, so it kind of serves a couple purposes I guess!
Old 09-14-2017, 08:35 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I'd imagine an inline 6 would fit. It's just the width of the V8 that's the issue.

I won't be running dual servos. This is just the mount that's included with the transmission conversion kit. I'd think the second mount is for a servo winch, but I don't have a need for a winch so I won't be putting one in. The dual servo mount also provides a couple mounting positions for the servo too, so it kind of serves a couple purposes I guess!
Gotcha. I didn't need a winch, necessarily, but I really wanted one for looks. I got the RC4WD Warn 9.5t winch on mine. Goods for looks and may be handy if I go to comps where Hand of God is no-no...
Old 09-14-2017, 08:49 AM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide13 View Post
Gotcha. I didn't need a winch, necessarily, but I really wanted one for looks. I got the RC4WD Warn 9.5t winch on mine. Goods for looks and may be handy if I go to comps where Hand of God is no-no...

I've had two of the Warn 8274 winch on different trucks. They look awesome, but I never used it, and I don't comp / won't run where there's all these extreme scale rules. Just doesn't interest me personally. GCM's Call to Crawl series is something I'd participate in - it's all about having fun and getting together with others who want to have fun too, but provides the opportunity to run any way you want.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:54 AM   #26

The wheels and tires look sick!

Exclusive RC sucks. I didn't know their parts don't fit, but I do know his print quality sucks. Look at that cover. It looks like ass. I can't believe you paid money for that. If I were you'd I'd tell him you want your money back. He's trying to be a commercial printer using home quality printers. All I can do is shake my head that people keep buying his garbage.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:34 AM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The wheels and tires look sick!

Exclusive RC sucks. I didn't know their parts don't fit, but I do know his print quality sucks. Look at that cover. It looks like ass. I can't believe you paid money for that. If I were you'd I'd tell him you want your money back. He's trying to be a commercial printer using home quality printers. All I can do is shake my head that people keep buying his garbage.

I'm very happy with the wheel and tire combo - should look badass!

For what it's worth, Exclusive RC has been helpful in communications but I agree that the print quality is far inferior to the parts I've received from Shapeways. I've already sold this motor cover, and I'll wait until something I feel is worthy comes along. If not, no biggie either.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:12 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm very happy with the wheel and tire combo - should look badass!

For what it's worth, Exclusive RC has been helpful in communications but I agree that the print quality is far inferior to the parts I've received from Shapeways. I've already sold this motor cover, and I'll wait until something I feel is worthy comes along. If not, no biggie either.
Of course the Shapeways parts are much better, they are printed on a machine that costs as much as the house ERC's printers reside in.

GCM has a few scale motors on their Shapeways store, including an inline 6. Its not as cool as a V8 but was an option in the K10s and has a better chance of fitting.

Last edited by svt923; 09-14-2017 at 11:17 AM.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
GCM has a few scale motors on their Shapeways store, including an inline 6. Its not as cool as a V8 but was an option in the K10s and has a better chance of fitting.
No way in hell am I going to put an inline 6 in this truck LOL. V8 or bust. And its looking a lot like bust right now, which quite honestly is fine!
Old 09-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #30

Quote:
Of course the Shapeways parts are much better, they are printed on a machine that costs as much as the house ERC's printers reside in.
It's not just the printer. Home printers can print a hell of a lot better than this garbage! It's all about knowing what you're doing and taking the time to do it right rather than trying to rush parts out.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:05 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I've had two of the Warn 8274 winch on different trucks. They look awesome, but I never used it, and I don't comp / won't run where there's all these extreme scale rules. Just doesn't interest me personally. GCM's Call to Crawl series is something I'd participate in - it's all about having fun and getting together with others who want to have fun too, but provides the opportunity to run any way you want.
I may or may not like the whole strict scale rules. But I want to try a couple of comps, and get my money's worth out of the truck. I won't be looking to win the comps but get out, meet some new people, and have fun. There's not many good places too close to where I live, so mainly I just want to see where the comps are, and if I can visit them in the off season.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:18 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
No way in hell am I going to put an inline 6 in this truck LOL. V8 or bust. And its looking a lot like bust right now, which quite honestly is fine!
I admire such commitment to the good, old American V8 pickup.

What part of Texas is Alberta in?
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:14 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
I admire such commitment to the good, old American V8 pickup.

What part of Texas is Alberta in?

The part where we drive real trucks!
Old 09-14-2017, 09:36 PM   #34
RCC Addict

So I think I'm an expert at switching the transfer case around now. But I'm a happy camper again too.

The left drop transfer case wasn't sitting well with me so I had another look at the skid plate and where the Tcase was hitting, which was the webbing right between the centre and side Transmission mount holes.

So I took my dremel and shaved the area down

And wouldn't ya know it, the right drop fits like a glove!

Order is restored. Scale win.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:40 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Default LSXGMC's Axial SCX10-II K10 Pickup w/ GCM LRT2

Axles and links installed. Not happy with the steering link / servo horn / panhard bar setup right now, it'll need some tweaking for sure. Alignment is off and stuff is hitting. But the rest of it is starting to look more like a truck!

I used Jato rod ends on one end of the rear links to stretch the wheelbase out another 1/4" which should be just about perfect for a short box pickup.

Last edited by LSXGMC; 09-14-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:36 AM   #36

Quote:
Axles and links installed. Not happy with the steering link / servo horn / panhard bar setup right now, it'll need some tweaking for sure. Alignment is off and stuff is hitting. But the rest of it is starting to look more like a truck!

I used Jato rod ends on one end of the rear links to stretch the wheelbase out another 1/4" which should be just about perfect for a short box pickup.
That looks killer!

Are those the new VP SCX10 II axles or the older version?

Leave my rod end alone.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:54 AM   #37
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Are those the new VP SCX10 II axles or the older version?

They're the Rock Jocks - I'm not a fan of the new F9's at all!
Old 09-15-2017, 07:59 AM   #38

Quote:
They're the Rock Jocks - I'm not a fan of the new F9's at all!
I agree. The F9's are hideous!
Old 09-15-2017, 11:04 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Default LSXGMC's Axial SCX10-II K10 Pickup w/ GCM LRT2

I was debating between Proline Powerstroke Scaler shocks and Traxxas Big Bores on this truck, so I bought both. I tested them out and ended up liking the Big Bores better. The Prolines look 10x nicer and have a smaller body, but I also don't think the Big Bores look too awful, their bland look kind of hides anyways and they're amazingly smooth, don't leak, and are already the perfect length for this truck at 85mm. Part number 2660. I picked up a set of Losi gold springs for it and put them on the back for now, and using the stock white springs from the SCX10-II kit up front (using Axial spring cups). I'll see how my initial choices work once the body goes on, but these feel great for now.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:17 PM   #40
RCC Addict

Since my scale motor cover didn't work out, I figured I might as well change out the Axial 27T motor for my favourite brushed motor, a Traxxas Titan 21T 550 can. You'll be happy to know it's rather easy it is to change motors with this setup.

I started by dropping the transmission by disconnecting the driveshafts, removing the two screws in the skid plate and the bell housing bolts (motor plate). The transmission comes out and the motor can be removed from between the frame rails by simply sliding it towards the back of the truck and twisting a little (see reinstallation photo below).

I then followed the same procedure as before to change out the motor and set the gear mesh. Remember you only need a couple screws in the motor plate to do so. I also had a Castle motor fan kicking around so I zip-tied it to the new motor.

Once I knew the gear mesh was good I removed the transmission again so I could re-install the motor.

I then reinstalled the motor and motor plate assembly back into the truck.

The fan fits really nicely in there and actually looks kinda cool. Better than nothing, I suppose, and serves a purpose (I think).

LSXGMC's Axial SCX10-II K10 Pickup w/ GCM LRT2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GCM LRT2 Trans Combo Set CODYBOY General Scale Talk 2 12-14-2016 12:48 AM